Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 18,496 times

Advertisements

Would love to custom build but I don't think our price range will allow us to. Can someone recommend a great tract builder that is good as custom as you can get but since be tract? Is that even out there? Or can anyone recommend a custom builder that could build in this range and has lots available? We are looking in the Cary/Apex/HS/FV area. I know all of this is a long shot but thought maybe someone knows of a hidden gem out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 01:27 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,622 times
Check out Drees Homes.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:04 PM

379 posts, read 749,148 times
Another +1 for Drees. I owned a Drees house in that price range and it was wonderful. Some people on the forum aren't fans, but I love their homes.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmama1 View Post
Would love to custom build but I don't think our price range will allow us to. Can someone recommend a great tract builder that is good as custom as you can get but since be tract? Is that even out there? Or can anyone recommend a custom builder that could build in this range and has lots available? We are looking in the Cary/Apex/HS/FV area. I know all of this is a long shot but thought maybe someone knows of a hidden gem out there.
Any reason why you don't want a resale?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 18,496 times
There are so many "particulars" that we want that we haven't been able to find anything even close to what we are looking for. Well for one million, maybe, but that is out of our price range. :-)

Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmama1 View Post
There are so many "particulars" that we want that we haven't been able to find anything even close to what we are looking for. Well for one million, maybe, but that is out of our price range. :-)

What type of particulars? I'm not a realtor, but we did look at houses here for a couple of years before we bought one last year, and I think I went in a few hundred houses in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs/Raleigh/Durham/CH

I am not kidding.

LOL. And we were picky, yet we bought a custom resale. It can be done.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
In most neighborhoods, you can choose from a list of builders to build one of a list of floor plans that are available.

So, yes, your price range is good for building.

I understand you are picky...I built 6 homes...never could find what I wanted in a re-sale either!

If you are picky about your floor plan, that may be a problem since the team of builders only build what is offered in their neighborhood. If you are picky about finishes, that should be no problem.

So, all you really want is a list of n'hoods that you can build a home in?

Vicki

Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM

62 posts, read 127,505 times
Future Homes by Jim Thompson in Brighton Forest. We just built one and we are extremely happy. The amount of different options and things you can do make it feel like a custom home. Their team is very personable and professional. Our home ended up right at about 410,000 once all the upgrades and such were done.

Future Homes Inc. By Jim Thompson - New Homes, Custom Homebuilder of Apex / Cary, NC

Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&AmandainNC View Post
Future Homes by Jim Thompson in Brighton Forest. We just built one and we are extremely happy. The amount of different options and things you can do make it feel like a custom home. Their team is very personable and professional. Our home ended up right at about 410,000 once all the upgrades and such were done.

Future Homes Inc. By Jim Thompson - New Homes, Custom Homebuilder of Apex / Cary, NC
I tried to get in contact with Future Homes and would never recommend them. I am currently building a home with another builder. A realtor I know referred me to Future Homes when I got started on this project and Jim never bothered to return my calls or emails. (I tried to contact him 4-5 times over a few weeks and he never tried to get in touch with me.)

I mean geez he's in the business of building homes, right? So if a customer calls you and says "hey I want you to quote me a house" don't you think he would at least call to find out exactly what I was looking for? I an pretty certain I was in his price range, etc.

Very unprofessional...

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
Another +1 for Drees. I owned a Drees house in that price range and it was wonderful. Some people on the forum aren't fans, but I love their homes.
I will also give a nomination to Drees. I think they have exactly what you are looking for. I am building a home with them right now on a lot we purchased and so far they have been fantastic. (We are in the beginning stages as they are about ready to start the foundation.) I shopped them against several other tract and custom builders but in the end chose them.

Not sure if this link works but check it out:

http://www.dreeshomes.com/north-caro...e=1aalwqdhr2_4

(If not, search for Drees Raleigh and then click on the "Build on Your Lot" link. There are plenty of floorplans to choose from.

They won't do major changes to their plans but they can so some minor modifications. We found a plan we liked and were able to modify it to make it perfect for us. We also went to their design center to make sure all the options would meet our standards as you are more limited to what you can get versus a custom builder. We didn't have any problems with that and found plenty of things we liked at the design center so we went with it.

They are very responsive and provide good, honest quotes with no hidden surprises, etc. PM me if you'd like and I'll give you the contact info for the Drees people that can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary