Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 AM

16 posts, read 90,891 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Raleigh in the next couple of months to be closer to my family and am also looking for a career change. I was researching medical careers and found diagnostic medical sonographer (ultrasound tech) of interest. I had considered nursing but I have 3 nurses in my family and they all said they would have chosen something different in the medical field

It would be 2 years before I would be applying for jobs since I would be going back to school. I know Johnston CC has an accredited program but it's a little far out; however, if it's the only program in town, then that's where I would need to go.

Does anyone have any info/advice on this field, job outlook, or the reputation of the program at Johnston? Is it really competitive?

I just want to make an educated decision before jumping into a career with no job prospects

Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo7580 View Post
I will be relocating to Raleigh in the next couple of months to be closer to my family and am also looking for a career change. I was researching medical careers and found diagnostic medical sonographer (ultrasound tech) of interest. I had considered nursing but I have 3 nurses in my family and they all said they would have chosen something different in the medical field

It would be 2 years before I would be applying for jobs since I would be going back to school. I know Johnston CC has an accredited program but it's a little far out; however, if it's the only program in town, then that's where I would need to go.

Does anyone have any info/advice on this field, job outlook, or the reputation of the program at Johnston? Is it really competitive?

I just want to make an educated decision before jumping into a career with no job prospects
I don't know about your field specifically, but everyone is saying things like this about every field. The problem is, its not until you're out there and knee deep in it that you realize all the problems facing a particular industry. You might have better luck posting on an industry specific board and reading the posts of the people who are actually out there practicing, rather than some starry eyed students... Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM

16 posts, read 90,891 times
Thanks! I'll try an industry forum on here and see if I get more info.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I think they have Ultrasound at Wake Tech.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how you could go wrong. It's only two years...plenty of us retrain for new careers many times in our adulthood!

Good luck on your new path! I know it's hard but nothing in life is guaranteed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary