Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You also have to consider they can't really wait until midnight to make the decision without causing even more inconvenience to the parents and kids. The two hour delay allows them to come in in the morning and have time to make the decision to call off school or not. They are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't as some people are going to be inconvenience and or upset wither way.
Why not? Up north they announce it the morning of. We would go into my parents room and listen to the radio/watch TV for the closure list to be read.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Why not? Up north they announce it the morning of. We would go into my parents room and listen to the radio/watch TV for the closure list to be read.
It has to do with buses here.

They used to announce it either late at night or the morning of around here when I was in school.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Well, they have the infrastructure to handle winter weather and the trucks worked thru the night. I used to hear the plows all night long. They could then make the decision on travel quality in the morning. Around here that infrastructure is not to the same level, and necessarily so. We get a plow on our road 2-3 days after the event.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM

826 posts, read 1,931,989 times
To add a note of levity to the discussion - apparently WCPSS kids were desperate to know about any delay or closing and badgered WCPSS on Twitter. Their statement (for most of the afternoon/evening):

"To everyone who has asked, the answer is still "nah."

On Twitter, Wake schools ride out avalanche of snow-day pleas | Education | NewsObserver.com

(Edited to add: the Twitter feed is pretty funny...)

Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Well, they have the infrastructure to handle winter weather and the trucks worked thru the night. I used to hear the plows all night long. They could then make the decision on travel quality in the morning. Around here that infrastructure is not to the same level, and necessarily so. We get a plow on our road 2-3 days after the event.
Moot point, what plows were needed today? LOL Even more reason to wait until the morning.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It has to do with buses here.

They used to announce it either late at night or the morning of around here when I was in school.
We took buses too...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
That isn't entirely accurate. Where I am from in NJ they regularly announce delays and closings the night before by phone robo-calls. It is true that back in the 80's when I was in school they did it the day of over the radio, but times have changed and now they seem to do it the night before to allow for planning.

It is a different world these days.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
This is cool never thought there would be lake effect snow in NC but that is happening.

From the NWS.
Quote:
An area of snow well removed from the storm system off the coast has developed during the past couple of hours across the Coastal Plain of NC.
This area of snow originates over Kerr Lake and is being driven by an upper level disturbance, low level instability enhanced locally by the lake and additional moisture provided by the lake.

At 900 AM snow is being reported down stream in Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Kinston and other locations. The local enhancement could produce a half inch of snow accumulation with localized spots getting up to an inch.
The snow should taper off toward midday as the upper level disturbance moves away and the low level instability decreases.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM

379 posts, read 748,878 times
Plenty of snow in Clayton, and it's still here

Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Some kids have to be on the bus at like 6am or something crazy early. There is no time to make that call in the morning anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary