Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,135,699 times

Advertisements

Less than desirable? There's more gang activity in that part of Raleigh than any other except Southeast Raleigh. That sort of "less than desirable."

Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
Oh and perhaps you can shed a little light on some of the surrounding suburbs...although the only one that seems not too far away is Knightdale...
Nah. There's Rolesville and Wake Forest. Both are nice. If you work in 27609, those are closer than Knightdale.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM

83 posts, read 149,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Less than desirable? There's more gang activity in that part of Raleigh than any other except Southeast Raleigh. That sort of "less than desirable."
Well alrighty then...don't do gangs. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,245,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
Price range...really would like to not go over $1100...job is in 27609...but I don't want to be the dork that lives across the street from the office.
Why would that make you a dork??? I would think it's really smart, and I'd be insanely jealous. Just as long as it's not a situation where you'd be called on to get to the office when no one else can. ;-)

I used to be on staff in a Church (many moons ago) and lived across the street. It was WONDERFUL! Except early on Saturday mornings when the little old ladies would come knocking on my door because they needed to get in the building for whatever reason and didn't have a key. LOL

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM

83 posts, read 149,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Why would that make you a dork??? I would think it's really smart, and I'd be insanely jealous. Just as long as it's not a situation where you'd be called on to get to the office when no one else can. ;-)

I used to be on staff in a Church (many moons ago) and lived across the street. It was WONDERFUL! Except early on Saturday mornings when the little old ladies would come knocking on my door because they needed to get in the building for whatever reason and didn't have a key. LOL
LOL! IDK...I just said it. It just seems like oh I'm new here so I'm going to live right here. But really, I'm just looking for wherever gives us what we need and we're reasonably safe.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,115,637 times
Quote:
I live on Capital at Old Wake Forest Rd and it's not all bad. The Mini-City area should be avoided (we lived there 8 years). Gang activity is present there.

We're currently in a very safe apartment community, and I'm captain of the Neighborhood Watch.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I live on Capital at Old Wake Forest Rd and it's not all bad. The Mini-City area should be avoided (we lived there 8 years). Gang activity is present there.

We're currently in a very safe apartment community, and I'm captain of the Neighborhood Watch.
Yeah. That's why I said that there were some areas around there that were less than desirable.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 PM

100 posts, read 135,933 times
We're coming from DC suburbs too (PG County as well)...perhaps you looked at a thread I started awhile ago in your searches?

anyway, we were able to go down there twice in the past month to check out the area. Also looking at $1100 as a limit for rent (though if my wife gets the approval to work from home for her job, then that rate will increase significantly). Looked at more apartments than homes tbh.

anyway, from what I've experienced, it all just seems relative.

people on the boards here have talked about the traffic down there. but as you know, being in pg county, traffic down there seemed like a breeze.

I've seen some people (and some people told us down there) that a 20 min commute is soooo long lol. My wife works in Alexandria and we go across the woodrow wilson bridge everyday...rush hour = 45 mins so they're 20 min commute is a no brainer to us.

We've looked at Cary and Apex so far. Cary seems to have more people, Apex more space.

I would recommend taking a trip down there though if you can. We identified 9 apartment complexes we were considering, and between the 2 trips, hit them all. Driving between each one of them gave us a sense of the area.

I'm looking to move in June, but want to sign a lease in March/April. My youngest son will be 7 by the time we get down there (going to 2nd grade) so maybe we'll cross paths one day. Always good to see another person from PG lol

Hope you find what you're looking for

Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
We're coming from DC suburbs too (PG County as well)...perhaps you looked at a thread I started awhile ago in your searches?

anyway, we were able to go down there twice in the past month to check out the area. Also looking at $1100 as a limit for rent (though if my wife gets the approval to work from home for her job, then that rate will increase significantly). Looked at more apartments than homes tbh.

anyway, from what I've experienced, it all just seems relative.

people on the boards here have talked about the traffic down there. but as you know, being in pg county, traffic down there seemed like a breeze.

I've seen some people (and some people told us down there) that a 20 min commute is soooo long lol. My wife works in Alexandria and we go across the woodrow wilson bridge everyday...rush hour = 45 mins so they're 20 min commute is a no brainer to us.

We've looked at Cary and Apex so far. Cary seems to have more people, Apex more space.

I would recommend taking a trip down there though if you can. We identified 9 apartment complexes we were considering, and between the 2 trips, hit them all. Driving between each one of them gave us a sense of the area.

I'm looking to move in June, but want to sign a lease in March/April. My youngest son will be 7 by the time we get down there (going to 2nd grade) so maybe we'll cross paths one day. Always good to see another person from PG lol

Hope you find what you're looking for
Once you live and work with people who have commutes that are 20 minutes or less, you'll wonder how you ever tolerated a longer commute.

That's what people have been telling you here.

Who wants to sit in traffic or pay for extra gas or give up time with family if they don't need to?

Besides, you wanna be near home for when the tornado warnings start.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM

100 posts, read 135,933 times
Quote:
Once you live and work with people who have commutes that are 20 minutes or less, you'll wonder how you ever tolerated a longer commute.

That's what people have been telling you here.

Who wants to sit in traffic or pay for extra gas or give up time with family to sit in traffic?
agreed,

That actually IS one of the drawing factors for us...

it appears as if everything we need is just a short drive away.

and that tornado joke wasn't funny meh lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary