Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM

83 posts, read 149,608 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I know y'all have to get tired of these threads, but I've read and searched and I still have questions. I'm a single mom of two and currently reside in the suburbs of DC (also a DC native). My oldest will be in 1st grade if/when we move (hoping this summer). I have done A TON of research on the area, but have yet to visit. I'm hoping to come down over President's Day weekend, but I have no idea really what I should be looking for, as I don't want to just drive around aimlessly.

I have been basing my searches around schools, childcare, and dance studios, since those are some things that will make the transition a lot easier on us. I think I've zeroed in on Northeast Raleigh (not too far from Triangle Town Center)...schools up there seem to offer what I'm looking for (good ratings, reviews, and test scores per greatschools.org, diverse (similar to the school she's in currently), and there are quite a few base schools that are year round, which I also like).

However, even in looking at all the rental properties that are listed on zillow (homes not apartments), I still don't know where to begin. So what do you recommend? Just driving in and out of neighborhoods? LOL! I tell you, google maps has been pretty helpful, but I wonder if there's anything that I'm missing?

Oh, and I will have a job (requested a relocation with my current employer), so that's nothing to be concerned about. I'm open to feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM

21 posts, read 32,804 times
Hi! If you get any good ideas, please share them with me. My family and I will be moving in July and we are also visiting that President's day week. We need some direction on what to see while we're there. I've been reading and reading and it all seems overwhelming.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM

I guess I would just say watch the thread. Do you have kids too? How old? I'm slightly concerned about making friends, etc, but once I get my daughter in dance, I may be ok. I just really hope my transfer request comes through, or else this move is a no-go...Not many jobs in my field down there.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
Hello all!

I know y'all have to get tired of these threads, but I've read and searched and I still have questions. I'm a single mom of two and currently reside in the suburbs of DC (also a DC native). My oldest will be in 1st grade if/when we move (hoping this summer). I have done A TON of research on the area, but have yet to visit. I'm hoping to come down over President's Day weekend, but I have no idea really what I should be looking for, as I don't want to just drive around aimlessly.

I have been basing my searches around schools, childcare, and dance studios, since those are some things that will make the transition a lot easier on us. I think I've zeroed in on Northeast Raleigh (not too far from Triangle Town Center)...schools up there seem to offer what I'm looking for (good ratings, reviews, and test scores per greatschools.org, diverse (similar to the school she's in currently), and there are quite a few base schools that are year round, which I also like).

However, even in looking at all the rental properties that are listed on zillow (homes not apartments), I still don't know where to begin. So what do you recommend? Just driving in and out of neighborhoods? LOL! I tell you, google maps has been pretty helpful, but I wonder if there's anything that I'm missing?

Oh, and I will have a job (requested a relocation with my current employer), so that's nothing to be concerned about. I'm open to feedback. Thanks!
What zip codes were you looking at?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
What zip codes were you looking at?
27616, 27610, 27609, and 27604...Is that a lot? lol

Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
When we started scoping out Raleigh in 2006 we identified areas of interest. Informally we had criteria in mind such as proximity to the various schools our boys would be attending (not to mention their rankings as well), distance from major supermarkets, gas stations, highway access, proximity to RDU and of course housing within our price range. Generally you'll find that some areas will be better fits than others (the airport proximity was a top issue because at that time I traveled extensively). We also knew what we wanted to avoid, such as massive planned communities, areas where the traffic was disproportionately high relative to the area and any neighborhood where the properties looked to be unkempt.

As we drove around exploring the different areas we'd initially identified online we started gaining a sense for which ones would work versus which ones didn't. For example, we originally loved a sub-division just West of Capital but after seeing what traffic was like, and how we'd be dealing with stores mostly on Capital and often during rush hour we decided it was too congested for our tastes; that's something you could never gain a sense of via the Internet.

And so I recommend you just pick a few areas where things "look right" at a high level and spend some time driving around while you're here. Also, mix in some fun stuff for your children if they'll be with you on your visit so they take away a few happy memories. My kids loved eating at Sonic Drive In (which didn't exist where we moved from), we also took them to Adventure Landing and visited the science museum downtown.

Good luck with your search, this is a great area to raise a family.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
27616, 27610, 27609, and 27604...Is that a lot? lol
Nah. And a good many houses in 27610 and 27604 (in particular) are gonna be in less than desirable neighborhoods.

Perhaps if we knew what price range and where you be commuting to, that would narrow things down.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Nah. And a good many houses in 27610 and 27604 (in particular) are gonna be in less than desirable neighborhoods.

Perhaps if we knew what price range and where you be commuting to, that would narrow things down.
Describe less than desireable?

Price range...really would like to not go over $1100...job is in 27609...but I don't want to be the dork that lives across the street from the office.

Right now I live 10 miles from where I work and evening commute can range from 20-40 minutes depending on traffic (but I travel on a major road). I say that to say commute is not a HUGE deal...just gotta be able to get to any daycare before closing.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Oh and perhaps you can shed a little light on some of the surrounding suburbs...although the only one that seems not too far away is Knightdale...

Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM

You can find nice housing in 27609. I'd look there for the area you like best. Cuts your commute time down.

Avoid Capital Blvd. The traffic there sucks and it's not a particularly attractive part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary