Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times

Advertisements

I'm supposed to start a new job on Feb. 5th and am worried about finding a house to rent. I've done searches online for homes to rent, but my situation is somewhat complicated. I'm hoping someone here can point me in a direction so I can find a solution.

I'm updating my previous post with this information: I just received word that the property management company/investment group [mod cut: new member, no mentions of business names, please], which is the company that owns several of the properties I've seen online, has a 3 dog limit. Now I'm really starting to panic. I'm NOT getting a very good impression of North Carolina right now...

I'll be arriving in NC Feb. 1 (driving from TX). My husband and I have 4 small dogs (I'm a dog trainer and use them in my business), so we need to find a home and HOA that finds that number acceptable (they range in size from 5 pounds to 11 pounds). We also would very much like to find a home with a fence. Other than that, we aren't too picky as long as it's large enough to suit our needs (minimum 1500 sf). I've had trouble so far because agents don't seem to like making appointments this far in advance (I can't start viewing properties until Feb 2). Also, there's no point in looking at a house that won't allow us to keep our dogs, so I'd really like to narrow it down NOW rather than wait until I get there in Feb.

Has anyone had a good experience with a rental agent or property management company that would go the extra mile to help me?

Last edited by RedZin; 01-24-2014 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: change in circumstance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Dig_Dogz View Post
I'm supposed to start a new job on Feb. 5th and am worried about finding a house to rent. I've done searches online for homes to rent, but my situation is somewhat complicated. I'm hoping someone here can point me in a direction so I can find a solution.

I'm updating my previous post with this information: I just received word that the property management company/investment group [mod cut: new member, no mentions of business names, please], which is the company that owns several of the properties I've seen online, has a 3 dog limit. Now I'm really starting to panic. I'm NOT getting a very good impression of North Carolina right now...

I'll be arriving in NC Feb. 1 (driving from TX). My husband and I have 4 small dogs (I'm a dog trainer and use them in my business), so we need to find a home and HOA that finds that number acceptable (they range in size from 5 pounds to 11 pounds). We also would very much like to find a home with a fence. Other than that, we aren't too picky as long as it's large enough to suit our needs (minimum 1500 sf). I've had trouble so far because agents don't seem to like making appointments this far in advance (I can't start viewing properties until Feb 2). Also, there's no point in looking at a house that won't allow us to keep our dogs, so I'd really like to narrow it down NOW rather than wait until I get there in Feb.

Has anyone had a good experience with a rental agent or property management company that would go the extra mile to help me?

What about NC isn't giving you a good impression? That there's not an abundance of rental property in the Triangle area that'll rent to people with more than 2 dogs? That's just how it is here. There are even some HOA neighborhoods (of which we have many, unless you are looking for an older home or one with acreage someplace in the country) that don't allow OWNERS to have more than a given number of dogs.

Had you considered purchasing a home in the country or in a non HOA neighborhood, perhaps?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,389 times
Finding a property to rent that will allow 4 dogs maybe hard but not impossible. The fact that you train dogs will be important information for the landlord/owner to know about. Starting your search now will help you out however my suggestion is to find someone that is willing to help you from start to finish. They will have to make several phone calls on your behalf and sometimes getting through or hearing a response from the other side may take a couple hours or a day or two. But if you are only working with one individual than a lot of you energy will be saved.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Dig_Dogz View Post
I'm NOT getting a very good impression of North Carolina right now...[/B
I think you have a fairly unique situation here so you're going to have to work extra hard to find a rental that will accept as many animals as you want in your home. I don't think it's really fair to judge NC based on this scenario.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:11 PM

379 posts, read 749,221 times
I imagine it would be tough to find a rental that allows 4 dogs anywhere in the country. NC is not special.

That said, I moved here from Buffalo, NY into a rental in Raleigh with 4 dogs. (I have 5 now.) I didn't bother with any management companies. I just stuck with Craigslist. I ended up with at least 10 landlords who were willing to let me rent -- all had fenced yards, too. I didn't find it that difficult -- I just said "I have 4 small very well behaved dogs, and I have neighbor references, vet references, and trainer references." If people hesitated, I simply offered a larger pet deposit. It worked out perfectly.

So, it can be done. Present yourself as a responsible, empathetic person who will care for the landlord's property as your own, and it'll work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary