Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti04 View Post

So my question is what can we do to make them replace it. Its not our fault they are reckless with the moving of these rocks from place to place?
Nothing you can do, except next time don't get behind a dump truck close enough for a rock to fall on your car.

Just call a windshield repair place and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
My wife called me earlier today and told me she was following at a very good distance away from a Dump truck that began spewing rocks and stones on to I-40
She said one hit her windshield and placed a dent and fairly large crack in it.
Luckily she called me on my cell phone as it happened and she gave me the trucking company name, licenses plate and some DOT #

So my question is what can we do to make them replace it. Its not our fault they are reckless with the moving of these rocks from place to place?

Please help ASAP!!!
*Call the company and ask them what their claims procedure is and who handles their insurance. Then put in a claim. If they do not respond within a few days, go to small claims court with your evidence and file a claim there. You will either win or lose in court. If they do respond, then deal with them to correct your car. Rocks can travel long distances in the air off the back of a truck. The fact that they might have a "stay back" sign means nothing if you were far enough back. I also do not believe having a sign relieves them of their responsibility if they don't take care to keep their truck clean and clear of rocks.

When I used to travel 75 down and through Atlanta, I would see work trucks with rocks lined up on their bumpers waiting to be launched. I often though they were there on purpose.

If you know the truck company and they are pared in a public space, I would go there and take pictures of their truck - especially any with missing mud flaps and any objects that can fly off the back.

*No, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But I have put in a number of claims with truck companies, repair shops and state highway commissions to repair damage caused by them or their equipment.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-25-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
My wife called me earlier today and told me she was following at a very good distance away from a Dump truck that began spewing rocks and stones on to I-40
She said one hit her windshield and placed a dent and fairly large crack in it.
Luckily she called me on my cell phone as it happened and she gave me the trucking company name, licenses plate and some DOT #

Please help ASAP!!!
The trucking company will say: After it hits the road and bounces it is determined to be a road hazard and your insurance should cover that". I second that the sign on the back means nothing.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
*Call the company and ask them what their claims procedure is and who handles their insurance. Then put in a claim. If they do not respond within a few days, go to small claims court with your evidence and file a claim there. You will either win or lose in court. If they do respond, then deal with them to correct your car. Rocks can travel long distances in the air off the back of a truck. The fact that they might have a "stay back" sign means nothing if you were far enough back. I also do not believe having a sign relieves them of their responsibility if they don't take care to keep their truck clean and clear of rocks.

When I used to travel 75 down and through Atlanta, I would see work trucks with rocks lined up on their bumpers waiting to be launched. I often though they were there on purpose.

If you know the truck company and they are pared in a public space, I would go there and take pictures of their truck - especially any with missing mud flaps and any objects that can fly off the back.

*No, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But I have put in a number of claims with truck companies, repair shops and state highway commissions to repair damage caused by them or their equipment.
This post is 10 years old.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
This post is 10 years old.
More than that even, haha.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Even though it's old, this problem seems to be more common with all the construction going on in the Triangle.

I see these stupid noisy dump trucks that are throwing debris all over the place, especially when they go over bumps in the the road and sprays everyone behind them. In addition, many of those drivers are unsafe -have seen many fully loaded dump trucks going over 80mph on a downhill on 540 and 540 toll. Police need to pull them over.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM

203 posts, read 327,373 times
It is a common problem and actually my parents asked the other day (since I work in insurance) if those signs on the back of trucks that say "Not responsible for windshields" are true. I told them that essentially yes, that's usually the case. What happens when a rock falls off of one of those trucks and hits your windshield is you end up filing a glass claim with your insurance. Most people have low or zero comprehensive deductibles so it's usually a non-issue. You only run into trouble if you aren't carrying physical damage coverage on your vehicle (but only liability). In that case in order to get the truck company to pay for the damage you would need proof, probably in the form of a dash camera, that shows definitively what happened. You'd likely need to take them to court and even then it would be a hard sell. Their little sign on the back doesn't technically release them from liability but it's so hard to prove and the cost of pursuing it effectively means it would be cheaper and less stressful to just pay to have it repaired yourself.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
in NC, dump trucks don't have rear license plates due to state law. a $60 dashcam will save you time and money.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
in NC, dump trucks don't have rear license plates due to state law. a $60 dashcam will save you time and money.
Indeed, they do have plates though. They are just located on the front of the truck.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
This thread should make all of you who don't already have a dash cam go out and buy one. I picked up a decent 1080 one from Amazon along with a memory card for like $75 total. Works great - stores a lot and is easy to hit a button if something happens to save that clip to memory that won't get over-written.

In fact it helps in most cases of questionable liability, both yours and the other drivers. I wanted to put one facing the rear but wiring was an issue back there on my wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary