Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

I've had multiple windshields popped with rocks, but never from the back of a dump truck. Usually it's from a vehicle going the opposite direction that hits a rock in the road and pops it up. Probably had it happen 6 or 7 times. Scares the poop out of me every time, too, 'cause it sounds like a shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
My brother had this happen to him.
He followed the truck until it stopped at a light, and my brother jumped out of his car, ran up and took a cellphone picture of the truck, showing the Owner, Truck ID, and the back ledge of it's bumper - covered with gravel.

He emailed the picture to the company and they folded, agreed to compensate him for a new windshield.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
This thread should make all of you who don't already have a dash cam go out and buy one. I picked up a decent 1080 one from Amazon along with a memory card for like $75 total. Works great - stores a lot and is easy to hit a button if something happens to save that clip to memory that won't get over-written.

In fact it helps in most cases of questionable liability, both yours and the other drivers. I wanted to put one facing the rear but wiring was an issue back there on my wagon.
OTOH, I have seen stories where law enforcement was able to get the court to approve taking the information on the dash cam to use against the driver, against their will. I'm sure this will work it's way through the courts, but the recent ruling where you could be forced to use your finger/thumb on the reader of an iPhone in lieu of a password does not forebode well.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
Another reason to own a dashcam!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:02 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
No doubt, a dash cam is the best way to win in small claims court. But if the cam shows you are 25 feet behind a truck at 60 mph, don't expect much sympathy from the magistrate regardless of other facts.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:35 PM

69 posts, read 62,510 times
old thread here but neither a dashcam or picture of the dump truck spewing crap out the back is helping me none. Called the company and got whole bunch of bs from them. I guess they know it is hard to prove the rock came from their truck and all the other nonesense they gave us. I guess we have to go the insurance co. route and hope they help us.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
How bad is the spot, cyp555? I just had it happen again last week (no truck involved that I saw) and it dinged me pretty good this time. Left about a quarter-sized spot and I was afraid it would spiderweb across the whole windshield so I got it fixed. Got an online quote from SafeLite and it was gonna be $129. Then I found Bullseye and it was $70 out of pocket. I took that and he came out the same day. Holding up well so far.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:37 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Buy glass insurance, its not very expensive.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:32 PM

307 posts, read 296,448 times
Funny this old thread popped up today, not trying to hijack.

Did it happen on Green Level Church road? I was biking my loop this morning, and a dump truck went by me from a stop light until he was about 50ft in front of me. He hit a bump and about 3 cubic yards of composted manure fell out the back. I almost crashed into a pile of poop. The driver continued on up the road at 50mph or so and disappeared out of view, but I could follow the trail of manure up the road for miles. He must have dumped a third of the truck. There were at least 4 piles you wouldnt want to drive a truck over.

The load was not secure due to negligence. This is a road hazard created by that driver. It could have caused a wreck. He should have been pulled over and ticketed for sure.

If you dont own some kind of expensive German SUV or Tesla, you can probably get your windshield done for ~300. I used Griffeth auto glass about 2 months ago and they were efficient for $280 on an Acura RDX. Many insurance companies have a specific policy for windshields.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:27 PM

69 posts, read 62,510 times
Mine was on I40. Large spot and started moving 20 later all across windshield. Needs replacement. I have enough evidence on dash cam and took a picture of back of truck. After getting it replaced I may just take them to small claims court just so I can speak my mind. I thought of hiring an attorney but it may not be worthwhile. I do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary