Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times

Advertisements

what others around the country think:

//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...raleigh-n.html

Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I wonder if torturing dogs really pales in comparison to much of anything outside of the zany antics of the US Congress...

But, he did his time, lost millions of dollars as penalty, begged his way through bankruptcy, and still, he had better show great remorse and shame and humility. He'd better, indeed.

It is truly offensive that folks would deign to deny a group the chance to hear a sincere mea culpa, assuming one is to be delivered.
No, what is truly offensive is that cronyism has trumped common sense with the Raleigh chamber. It appears that Rick French has the steering committee under his thumb.

The Evening of Champions event is to honor local athletes for their accomplishments. Vick's message doesn't fit in with event's objective and choosing him to speak at an event where the athletes have already achieved success is pointless.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
What do "Champions" have to do with the COC?
What does any portion of the event relate to the COC objectives?
It is a networking event aimed at members of COC. They hold them all the time.

Best thing to do is to weigh in with your COC directors, and possibly not renew your membership next year.
I can understand why the COC would want to rub elbows with successful athletes from the area. Sounds like a good time to me.

But Michael Vick? What is his connection to the area? From what I can tell from a quick Google search, he played football in Atlanta and Philadelphia, served time in a federal prison in Leavenworth, KS, and lived in Virginia the rest of the time. Where does Raleigh come into the picture?

There are a boatload of pit bull mixes in every animal shelter in the area. Surely, he isn't here to do a pitch for adopting these dogs.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Another article at HuffPo
Thousands Protest Michael Vick Appearance At North Carolina 'Evening of Champions' (UPDATED)

Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
No, what is truly offensive is that cronyism has trumped common sense with the Raleigh chamber. It appears that Rick French has the steering committee under his thumb.

The Evening of Champions event is to honor local athletes for their accomplishments. Vick's message doesn't fit in with event's objective and choosing him to speak at an event where the athletes have already achieved success is pointless.
It is a private function.
We ALL have the right to not attend and participate. To support that it is important for outsiders to regulate legal internal choices of private groups when we have the absolute right to not participate, contribute, or attend is an unfortunate choice.

And, he actually is not a "speaker," as it will be an "Interview." It makes a difference, and I would hope that he gets some hardball questions.

As a networking event, the value to attendees will be realized in connections between them, not anything to do with Michael Vick.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
It is a private function.
We ALL have the right to not attend and participate. To support that it is important for outsiders to regulate legal internal choices of private groups when we have the absolute right to not participate, contribute, or attend is an unfortunate choice.

And, he actually is not a "speaker," as it will be an "Interview." It makes a difference, and I would hope that he gets some hardball questions.

As a networking event, the value to attendees will be realized in connections between them, not anything to do with Michael Vick.
Well, if "getting free press and creating buzz" was on their list of priorities...

Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, if "getting free press and creating buzz" was on their list of priorities...

LOL
Yep. Change.org and the Huff are freely and vigorously promoting THAT. No doubt.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM

46 posts, read 110,970 times
I thought this was a joke, because Vick is probably not the most ideal choice for this type of event!
After some research, I found that the firm that was hired to repair Vick's PR image, French/West/Vaughan is also a member of the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. The same firm is also a "Gold" sponsor of the event.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1479 View Post
I thought this was a joke, because Vick is probably not the most ideal choice for this type of event!
After some research, I found that the firm that was hired to repair Vick's PR image, French/West/Vaughan is also a member of the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. The same firm is also a "Gold" sponsor of the event.
You're a regular Nancy Drew. Ummm. Hardy Boy?

Either way, that's good sleuthing. Makes perfect sense.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1479 View Post

Sheesh. I'm in Cary, and I can smell that from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary