Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
No one said it was. So what's your point?
My points are made throughout the thread.
I worked hard to write them clearly, but will boil them down in brief:
  • The organizers of a private event, and it is a private event, should manage the event as they see fit.
  • If COC members dislike this choice, they should voice as much.
  • If still dissatisfied, they have the absolute right to terminate membership and not pay next year's dues.
  • Michael Vick is as much a symbol of ruination due to stupidity and to "...the excesses of sport and celebrity..." as one might find alive. He may be able to provide some young athletes and/or parents with a warning. I think that would be a good thing, as sports and celebrity dreams destroy many lives and the college/pro industrial sports complex and celebrity-anxious parents profit greatly from their abuse.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Has anyone watched an interview with this man? Dog Fighting issues aside, he is no Public Speaker material. Give me a break. Of course, if this event is about Football, that's something different. The man can play.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Has anyone watched an interview with this man? Dog Fighting issues aside, he is no Public Speaker material. Give me a break. Of course, if this event is about Football, that's something different. The man can play.
The interview format will be kinder to him.
His educational level is a result of a perfectly scandalous sports/education situation that millions of Americans adore.
VT is a great school. If NorthRaleighGuy is any indication....

Why they embrace the football factory mentality is a mystery.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I think his point was that private sponsors can invite anyone they want to their events.

Look... I think what Vick did was horrible, but I also understand that he was brought up by people who thought that dog fighting was an everyday thing.

He's gone to jail, lost the opportunity to make more money than most people would make in 10 lifetimes, and he seems to be trying to make amends.

I think more slack is given to people who kill other humans than what's being offered to Michael Vick at this point.

And, again, I think dog fighting is disgusting.

I'm also not a huge fan of pit bulls, but that only applies to me owning them or having to come into contact with them. What other people do away from me re: owning pitbulls and loving them is great and totally their choice.

I'm also not a sports fan... but, hey... other people like football.

What I'm saying here is that he's a cautionary tale. Let the man tell it.

No harm in that. I don't think they're throwing him a parade or anything.
I think his point was that private sponsors can invite anyone they want to their events. They can but it's naive to think that a private group's actions cannot stir up controversy within the city or be a negative reflection of the city.

Look... I think what Vick did was horrible, but I also understand that he was brought up by people who thought that dog fighting was an everyday thing. He doesn't get a pass for that. Those people know dog fighting is illegal. That's why they hide it. Vick knew it was wrong. That's why he hid it and then lied about it when he got caught.

He's gone to jail, lost the opportunity to make more money than most people would make in 10 lifetimes, and he seems to be trying to make amends. Just because he served time doesn't mean all further consequences for his actions magically disappear. My past follows me. Yours follows you. Vick is no difference.

I think more slack is given to people who kill other humans than what's being offered to Michael Vick at this point. For example?

And, again, I think dog fighting is disgusting. What about the torturing, beating and electrocuting of dogs? What about using them for bait? How do you feel about that? What do you think about the studies linking animal cruelty to child abuse?

I'm also not a huge fan of pit bulls, but that only applies to me owning them or having to come into contact with them. What other people do away from me re: owning pitbulls and loving them is great and totally their choice. Do you own a dog? Your comments about pit bulls could be construed as tacit approval.

What I'm saying here is that he's a cautionary tale. Let the man tell it. Different "tales' resonate with different audiences. This event is being held to honor local athletes for their accomplishments. Michael Vick is a poor choice for this type of event.

No harm in that. I don't think they're throwing him a parade or anything

Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
I think his point was that private sponsors can invite anyone they want to their events. They can but it's naive to think that a private group's actions cannot stir up controversy within the city or be a negative reflection of the city.

Look... I think what Vick did was horrible, but I also understand that he was brought up by people who thought that dog fighting was an everyday thing. He doesn't get a pass for that. Those people know dog fighting is illegal. That's why they hide it. Vick knew it was wrong. That's why he hid it and then lied about it when he got caught.

He's gone to jail, lost the opportunity to make more money than most people would make in 10 lifetimes, and he seems to be trying to make amends. Just because he served time doesn't mean all further consequences for his actions magically disappear. My past follows me. Yours follows you. Vick is no difference.

I think more slack is given to people who kill other humans than what's being offered to Michael Vick at this point. For example?

And, again, I think dog fighting is disgusting. What about the torturing, beating and electrocuting of dogs? What about using them for bait? How do you feel about that? What do you think about the studies linking animal cruelty to child abuse?

I'm also not a huge fan of pit bulls, but that only applies to me owning them or having to come into contact with them. What other people do away from me re: owning pitbulls and loving them is great and totally their choice. Do you own a dog? Your comments about pit bulls could be construed as tacit approval.

What I'm saying here is that he's a cautionary tale. Let the man tell it. Different "tales' resonate with different audiences. This event is being held to honor local athletes for their accomplishments. Michael Vick is a poor choice for this type of event.

No harm in that. I don't think they're throwing him a parade or anything
I have owned a good many dogs. I do not own a dog now, but I do own 3 cats. I love animals and I would never harm one. I think that animal cruelty is disgusting. The fact that you're asking me this crap just because I think that the CC can invite whomever they want to their event is weird... do you think that I approve of something that ALREADY happened and isn't happening anymore just because I am not about to take up a pitchfork over it now?

I just said I though dog fighting was disgusting. I'm insulted that you think I approve of dog fighting just because I don't want to beat up on Michael Vick about it for the rest of his life. If he cannot be a good example, let him be a cautionary tale. I do think that people can be good for something... and I'm pretty sure that drug dealers and YES... even some murders get less grief that Michael Vick has over dog fighting (which, again, I do NOT APPROVE OF).

Good. Grief.

ETA: I don't even like football. Geeeeez.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Thread closed. Topic closed. Again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary