Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times

Advertisements

oh my gosh--i love it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Construction on Lafayette Village continues, but I just read this in the N&O about one business that is planning to set up shop there. From the N&O Retailing Section: Link (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1266841.html - broken link)

"Those of you from Florida may know of Carmine's, a gourmet market and restaurant, that is a foodie haven in Palm Beach Gardens.

Now one of Carmine's top chefs, Antonio Saladino, has moved to the Triangle and is opening his own gourmet market.

Antonio's Gourmet Market and Restaurant will sell fresh meat, fish and cheeses. He also plans catering and home delivery of groceries. A restaurant, where patrons can order or enjoy a treat they picked up in the store, will be attached to the market.

Antonio's will anchor the new Lafayette Village shopping center at Falls of Neuse and Honeycutt roads next summer."

Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
They've done more than grading... while they finished that giant stone retaining wall last year, the bulk of the work was going on underground. They finished the underground parking. Now that that is finished, I think the rest of the project will (hopefully) move quickly.

The only thing I don't get is that Lafayette neighborhood behind there. Why would you pay $500,000 for a house that faces commercial office buildings and that type of stuff?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Overall, I'm sure it will be a great alternative to the standard strip mall, but without incorporation of residential dwellings above the storefronts, they'll fall short of the type of development that is desperately needed for smart growth in the Triangle.
Amen. To make something like this really work and be more than a strip mall it has to be mixed use with residential mixed in.

I like that they are building something more pedestrian friendly, but unless they build housing/walkable neighborhoods into the plan, it's just a glorified strip mall.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:51 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
It's been 2 years; is this place open yet?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
Good question, this is the first I've heard of it and it looks exciting!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
The concept of a European shopping center makes me laugh.

Among the European photos in their "vision" section is a shot of mountains in the distance. That will be interesting to replicate.

I wondered if Europeans found American malls enticing, and I found this 2003 story about American-style megamalls: Megamalls are taking over Europe - TIME

It reminded me of the time I saw an African couple in Marshalls, and they were in line holding three beautiful formal gowns. They asked customers around them if they thought they were suitable for a wedding, as bridesmaid gowns, and we said, absolutely. They explained that they were bringing them back to Africa (Nigeria, I think), because their relative had always dreamed of an American-style wedding! Then I thought of all the African-Americans who have embraced African-style clothing over the years.

Interesting.

Lafayette will probably be Disneyesque. But that's okay. Disney is fun.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:49 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
I'm interested to see the landscaping. It would be cool if they planted stuff on top of some of the buildings or if some of the buildings had balconies from which they could have flower boxes and such. Also they need a fountain in the plaza. And to be really authentic it will definitely need some graffiti (lovebrentwood shudders)

Old 04-03-2010, 01:06 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Henry, of Henry's Gelato told me he was going to set up shop at Lafayette Village after I was bemoaning that he was too far away from North Raleigh.

Henry's Gelato - Fine Italian Gelato in North Carolina

Not sure if he still plans to open, but I am sure crossing my fingers...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I'm with Brentwood, sounds like they'll have nice shops but looks too Disneylike. Now if they made everything 3 stories so that there would be rental flats on the top floor, mixed in with offices with doors/elevators opening at street level for each building, this would be more European. And they'd need to let ppl hang out washing lines from building to building, with a crank to rope in the laundry And, they need back ally ways. Then there should be bike racks with public bikes to borrow or rent. Although, the place doesn't look too big? They need a monument in the city center where the trees are. Maybe a clock tower with chiming bells, some stone chess tables.

I wish builders would stop trying to have European stuff and be proud Americans and come up with something uniquely American.

Funny, in the UK when I was a kid, everyone was so excited to be getting American style Hyper-Markets = big grocery stores with other stuff, kinda like Super Walmart. We were told we could buy everything we wanted under one roof. It was like Ralphie being told he could have his Red Rider BB Gun! No more running from shop to shop out in bad weather..(cause they rarely have good weather), our eyes would be delighted by seeing things in jumbo packaging. We could buy, lightbulbs, bread, and an outfit for Sat night at the same place.

I remember shopping in a big UK city and seeing a sign, "New Today - American Specialty Foods". They had the Stars & Stripes flying all over the place, played American music, it really made you excited wondering what gems from the US they'd have. What a letdown when I saw a huge display of Chef Boyardee stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary