Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:45 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,992 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be an increase in people begging for money? I see different people at Target by Triangle Town Center. Tonight I saw a young lady with a sign at Krogers on Strickland.

Sometimes it's an entire family (mom, dad & kids) or else it's a handicapped person and sometimes they are twenty-somethings.

They all carry signs about being out of work.

I'm jst wondering if anyone else has noticed an increase in this type of activity

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I did...there were panhandlers at New Hope Church rd Walmart last week. A family by the street and a woman with two small children right by the door. I'm pretty sure that is not allowed, but I wasn't going to tattle. Could they really make enough money to make that worth their while? The family by the road was smiling and waving like they were selling Girl Scout Cookies.

There are programs to feed children when they are not in school and language lessons and job development programs FREE at Wake Tech and at Workforce development. I wonder if THEY are seeing an increase also.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,992 times
Stagemomma, I feel the same. Not going to tell anyone about these people. I'm sure they are seen by a lot of folks.

Seeing the children with the parents are the saddest of all. Not a good way of life.

There are programs out there but maybe they don't know about them?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
Of course you see an increase in panhandlers. Today's society wants a handout! Keep giving them money and you will continue to see an increase.

Think about this: A stoplight light cycle is 2 minutes. If a beggar only gets $1 during each light cycle that is $30/hr. How many times do you or see someone give a $5/$10/$20 bill?

There are programs in place. In order to receive a permit to panhandle the requester is given information about such programs. But why would they want to participate in a program that puts them in the work force? They are making much, much more money standing on the corner! And it's TAX FREE!!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
I have actually noticed an increase lately and recently saw a family with a baby begging with flags and homemade signs in Cary around Whole Foods. I love to pay it forward,volunteer and donate both time and money to help the needy is our community, but begging is something I just refuse to reinforce.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-06-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
I would think it is rather humiliating to be doing that.
My response depends on the moment and how I'm lead.
Some times I keep a can of food in my bag just for such an event.
If they are thankful for it, I may do more than that, if they are not ,that's all I have to offer.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 AM

269 posts, read 322,131 times
I wonder if these beggars are being "managed" by someone. Its odd that some intersections have a different person every day, but two people are never there at the same time. Also, some locations are beyond walking distance from anywhere, but there's no car parked nearby.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Of course you see an increase in panhandlers. Today's society wants a handout! Keep giving them money and you will continue to see an increase.

Think about this: A stoplight light cycle is 2 minutes. If a beggar only gets $1 during each light cycle that is $30/hr. How many times do you or see someone give a $5/$10/$20 bill?

There are programs in place. In order to receive a permit to panhandle the requester is given information about such programs. But why would they want to participate in a program that puts them in the work force? They are making much, much more money standing on the corner! And it's TAX FREE!!
Seriously? I had a hard time believing that, so I googled it.

"Panhandlers are also subject to tax for the money they receive. Although gifts ordinarily don't count as taxable income, the IRS apparently sees begging as an occupation. With minimum income guidelines for having to file a return, though, most panhandlers probably wouldn't need to file a return in any event."

And not really applicable, but funny enough to share from the same article:

"Perhaps the funniest tax, though, has to do with proceeds from criminal activities. Earlier this year, one tax preparation company said that a person came in asking if she had to pay taxes on $2,000 in proceeds she had earned selling cocaine. After consulting with the IRS, the preparer told the client that she would indeed have to declare the drug proceeds as income. According to a report, the taxpayer ended up putting the words "dealing cocaine" on the tax return as the explanation for the income."

Old 07-07-2014, 05:55 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,644,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I would think it is rather humiliating to be doing that.
My response depends on the moment and how I'm lead.
Some times I keep a can of food in my bag just for such an event.
If they are thankful for it, I may do more than that, if they are not ,that's all I have to offer.
Haven't you noticed? There's no shame in anything anymore.

Keeping a can of food in the car is a great idea. Wonder how many disappointed looks you get though when you hand them a can of food instead of cash\

I have noticed this more and more in our town. One youngish, seemingly able-bodied guy stands holding a sign at the same busy corner all the time WHILE TALKING ON HIS SMARTPHONE! Guess it beats working for peanuts at some part-time minimum wage job.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Our area is becoming known as a somewhat affluent area with a somewhat mild climate. I suspect that the homeless from other areas may be attracted to that. Just like you and I might relocate to where the jobs are, the homeless might relocate to where the handouts are. HOWEVER, there are still likely to be people from this area originally who have fallen on hard times. Perhaps we should be handing out addresses and phone numbers of shelters and support groups instead of or in addition to money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary