Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM

420 posts, read 452,037 times

Advertisements

Ok...
I am in my low fifties, youthful, not overweight but def getting that "rounder" look that comes with age.
Never been an exerciser and a HUGE reason for that is that I also have panic disorder. For those of you that don't know - it's an anxiety disorder that can cause heart palpitations. Even when they are benign, palpitations are frightening. Since I am getting older, I had a stress test and echcardiogram just to be sure heart is indeed ok. Was told yes. Still, when I exert myself my body reads the signal of a rapid heartbeat as "panic" and then I will actually go into panic mode. I need someone who will work with me get fit - tone my arms, abs, etc. and help me gain some confidence so that I then will not be so afraid of doing cardio. Clearly I need to go slow but I also need someone who can motivate with compassion. I have suffered enough; don't really need tough love.

Anyone have any ideas/ suggestions/ recommendations? Whatever it is I do, it has to be with someone else.
I get easily discouraged and then give up on my own.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
It might be helpful to know what area of the triangle you are in. I think that one of the UNC Wellness Centers would be a great option for you if you are near either of them. They have locations in Meadowmont, Chapel Hill and in West Cary. They are very accommodating to lots of different needs and fitness levels there. I am sure they would be very understanding. Another idea is that you should work out with a friend (you can even do this with a trainer). Do you have a friend who would meet up with you for workouts? Everyone works out better and more consistently with a friend to motivate them. Hope those suggestions help!

Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Maybe you should start slower than cardio. Have you considered yoga? There are many different styles and the breath work can help with anxiety and panic. If you get comfortable with one of the slower styles and have success with the breath work then you might move onto a faster-paced style if you're wanting to get more of a workout and increase your heart rate. Beginner yoga classes are usually very calming and encouraging.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Maybe you should start slower than cardio. Have you considered yoga? There are many different styles and the breath work can help with anxiety and panic. If you get comfortable with one of the slower styles and have success with the breath work then you might move onto a faster-paced style if you're wanting to get more of a workout and increase your heart rate. Beginner yoga classes are usually very calming and encouraging.
This is a very good idea.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Thank you for this, poppydog. I have thought of this but am so embarrassed to be in a class. I have been humiliated in the past. Anyone familiar with yoga...are their such things as one on one classes? I haven't found anything in my search. I am in southern Wake but am willing to travel for someone who can help me move forward in this regard.

As always, much appreciated.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
You sound a bit like myself..I have joined gyms through my life that I never use..
I do the initial personal trainer session and get overwhelmed with them showing me
30 machines..

I told the last guy who did the a free initial session that I was definitely
a "flight risk" I explained my past failures at gyms and suggested that he just show
me how to work the treadmill and a few machines .
Then I could build on that a few weeks later..

They just don't get it..20 stretches, 10 machines, free weights, mat exercises and I never went back..

I decided that I am just too much of an introvert to enjoy exercising in a gym..
So now I am trying to walk with friends and do exercises with a dvd at home..

Do you think finding a walking friend and doing an exercise DVD would be a good start??

Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Do you think finding a walking friend and doing an exercise DVD would be a good start??
A dog is a good walking friend. They can help with stress and if you don't have a fenced yard will force you to get out a couple times a day.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Private yoga instructions are available anywhere that offers yoga classes. If you are looking for a calm, accepting person to help you get moving, a yoga instructor would be hard to beat.

In addition to the increase in flexibility and strength, the breath work of yoga might help you learn to manage your panic symptoms.

Though the dog has a certain appeal as well.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM

Default All great suggestions

Want to thank you all for your suggestions. I am definitely going to research the yoga further.
Appreciate the feedback. This was a tough one to post. That feeling of being the kid in gym class who no one ever picked never (have had the anxiety since childhood) kinda stays with you forever it seems.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I think a beginner yoga class would be very helpful. Sometimes you can find one that is a little more specific. In Chapel Hill/Carrboro a couple of years ago a studio was running a "Yoga for Men Who Aren't Flexible" class. You might find one that is more up your alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary