Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM

347 posts, read 522,145 times

Advertisements

Are there any restrictions against parking on residential streets for extended periods of time? Our neighbor has a large box truck that sits in front of their house all the time. It is only moved once on the weekends for maybe a couple hours. Some months it sits in the same spot for weeks without moving. This in itself isn't a problem, but these neighbors have 3 additional vehicles. One of these other three is parked in front of our house all the time. This becomes a problem when they have guests who follow suit and park in front of our house, which leaves no room for our car. My wife and I have different schedules so it is nice to have the option to park on the street so we aren't shuffling cars around. I think the problem would be solved if they were compelled to move the box truck into the driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Does your development have an HOA?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I didn't see anything in the Town Ordinances (specifically Chapter 34) that would cover this, assuming it's less than 30 feet long and is otherwise operable and registered. Might be something in state law. Perhaps worth a call to the town to see what guidance they could offer.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Unless it's a small box truck it's probably wider than 80 inches, in which case town regulations prohibit it from being parked on the street unless involved in active loading/unloading, an emergency, or at a construction site.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
You could always try Cary code enforcement and ask them. They will be familiar with the rules.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:39 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Here's the reference: Section 34-112

Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM

347 posts, read 522,145 times
meh_whatever, we don't have an HOA. SFspiderman, that link is helpful. I'm unable to tell how wide the truck is without measuring it. I'll have to find the right time to do that...

I actually called Cary Police a minute ago and spoke to an officer. He said the public street can't be used for vehicle storage, which this guy is doing. He offered to stop by and talk to him but I think I'll go over and ask him to move it to his driveway. We want to avoid hard feelings if possible.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
meh_whatever, we don't have an HOA. SFspiderman, that link is helpful. I'm unable to tell how wide the truck is without measuring it. I'll have to find the right time to do that...

I actually called Cary Police a minute ago and spoke to an officer. He said the public street can't be used for vehicle storage, which this guy is doing. He offered to stop by and talk to him but I think I'll go over and ask him to move it to his driveway. We want to avoid hard feelings if possible.
The cops won't tell him you called. I'd consider staying out of it.

Just a thought.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
The cops won't tell him you called. I'd consider staying out of it.

Just a thought.
My exact thoughts. Your intentions are right, but I think Meh has the better approach here with regards to neighbor relations. Let the CPD be your surrogate bearer of bad news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary