Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM

15 posts, read 22,067 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Me and my girlfriend are graduating college from new York's capital district this May. I was recently offered admission to a phd program at NC State, one of the top schools that I was interested in. We are planning to go down to visit and check out the area since neither of us have ever been, but we like what we have read online. One of the main things we want to do is check out different neighborhood/apartment options in the area. I was hoping some of you would be able to help with suggestions!

We have read online that it is a very safe area, which is a major plus. Having lived in Albany's college ghetto the last couple of years, we are used to less than desirable living conditions, but something a little safer would be great.

So here's what we're looking for:
-safe neighborhood, where going for a walk is an enjoyable experience (maybe a park nearby?)
-walking distance/short drive far from an area with bars/restaurants/etc.
-walking distance/short drive from NC State
-accessible public transportation that ideally would have a line going towards NC St (I will have a car but I prefer public transportation when applicable)
-1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, just a clean, safe apartment. above a storefront would be fine.
-a little noise is okay but nothing too crazy
-our price range is ~1,000 a month for rent

So any neighborhoods that you feel meet our needs, feedback would be great.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 PM

120 posts, read 248,628 times
If you want to be within walk/bike/short drive distance, suggestions may depend on whether you're studying at the North or Centennial campuses.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:38 PM

I believe it is Centennial campus.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Also, we would prefer not to live in an apartment complex.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_vdp View Post
Also, we would prefer not to live in an apartment complex.
I don't know of any non-complex apartments near Centennial. Probably gonna have to rent a house. A lot of rental property around that area. All pretty decent, especially if you have been residing in the "ghetto."

Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Yes a house is definitely cool, probably preferable, sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post. Are there a lot of 1 bedroom's available though?

The "college ghetto" is pretty much all rental houses but we call them apartments here for whatever reason.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yes a house is definitely cool, probably preferable, sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post. Are there a lot of 1 bedroom's available though?

The "college ghetto" is pretty much all rental houses but we call them apartments here for whatever reason.
One bedroom with the style I think you might be going for (making that assumption based on your mention of an above-the-store apartment) are often tougher to find outside of downtown and/or the perimeter of downtown in the south.

Although more are cropping up...

There are one bedroom rental houses in the area, not nearly as many as two bedrooms and up.

Are you cool with a condo, townhome style? Or even duplexes?

For a thousand bux, you could prob. find a two bedroom in that range pretty easily five to 10 minutes from Centennial.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Yeah pretty much cool with whatever. Duplexes are less ideal, but still open to it. And yeah a two bedroom is definitely a possibility too. Thanks for the help. Do you have any good links for locating these types of houses? We have been getting a feel for the area on Zillow.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Do you have any good links for locating these types of houses? We have been getting a feel for the area on Zillow.
You're welcome. And unfortunately I don't. Maybe try the News & Observer classifieds on the web site.

Raleigh - News & Observer: Classified Ads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary