Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 01:28 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Holy &%$#! Some flyboy was buzzing downtown in a Red helicopter around 3:00 today. Scared the living **** out of me and my wife because he came nose down - full bore at our building, even with our floor (<200 ft in elevation) veered off no more than across the street (my wife said she could see what clothes he was wearing) swung around the Warehouse district (flying well below than the cranes), did a few circles and was running below treetop level over near Dix Park.

Time for someone to get their license pulled...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Holy &%$#! Some flyboy was buzzing downtown in a Red helicopter around 3:00 today. Scared the living **** out of me and my wife because he came nose down - full bore at our building, even with our floor (<200 ft in elevation) veered off no more than across the street (my wife said she could see what clothes he was wearing) swung around the Warehouse district (flying well below than the cranes), did a few circles and was running below treetop level over near Dix Park.

Time for someone to get their license pulled...
No joke, but I think this very same helicopter swooped right over me on 440 this morning, just north of the junction with 40 just south of Jones Franklin Road. I was coming into work late. It was exactly 9am this morning. Literally probably 100-150 ft from the top of the interstate going sideways. The cars in front of me slammed on their breaks and probably thought he was going to crash it into the roadway or woods. I have never seen that before. Someone needs a good A$$ chewing! In retrospect I probably should have called the Highway Patrol. Dangerous as all you know what!

Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Apparently pilots are flying like most are driving these days. The pilot probably had a dog sitting on it's lap while reading Fakebook and slurping a milkshake. Totally acceptable by today's standards.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Both of you might want to still file a complaint with the FAA. Sounds like a very reckless pilot.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
The pilot probably had a dog sitting on it's lap while reading Fakebook and slurping a milkshake.
While I agree with your characterization, I can assure you he flew close enough to the windows of our high-rise to see there was no dog, no computer, no milkshake.
Quote:
Both of you might want to still file a complaint with the FAA. Sounds like a very reckless pilot.
My wife said the same thing, it scared the daylights out of her. If I thought there would be any kind of response or action from the FAA I would. I was too rattled to get a tail number, and while there can't be that many fire engine red Jet Rangers out there (I don't think it was the WTVD bird. No giant "11" painted on the side), I don't have much faith I'd get much more than a shrug from the agency. It's a pretty tight club and you have to be pretty well heeled & connected to own one. I'm guessing by the way this guy was acting up this isn't an isolated event. I bet they are well aware of who's piloting. Can't expect the Feds to slap the hands of the uber-rich helicopter crowd these days...

Last edited by take57; 05-16-2017 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Didnt notice anything wreckless but saw it around the capital blvd corridor . Bright red, flying a littke low but not scary low.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
While I agree with your characterization, I can assure you he flew close enough to the windows of our high-rise to see there was no dog, no computer, no milkshake.

My wife said the same thing, it scared the daylights out of her. If I thought there would be any kind of response or action from the FAA I would. I was too rattled to get a tail number, and while there can't be that many fire engine red Jet Rangers out there (I don't think it was the WTVD bird. No giant "11" painted on the side), I don't have much faith I'd get much more than a shrug from the agency. It's a pretty tight club and you have to be pretty well heeled & connected to own one. I'm guessing by the way this guy was acting up this isn't an isolated event. I bet they are well aware of who's piloting. Can't expect the Feds to slap the hands of the uber-rich helicopter crowd these days...
I disagree. When it comes to the "friendly skies" since 9/11, the FAA and law-enforcement take complaints regarding aviation extremely seriously.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:37 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Apparently pilots are flying like most are driving these days. The pilot probably had a dog sitting on it's lap while reading Fakebook and slurping a milkshake. Totally acceptable by today's standards.
LOL

Your comment took me by surprise but unfortunately, I see this all the time (at least the dog/distracted driving I mean). Obviously the driving skills are a problem, but I also think to myself... think about what's going to happen to your beloved pet when you get into an accident and your airbag deploys!

Quote:
If I thought there would be any kind of response or action from the FAA I would.
I think you should anyway. If you lend your voice to the others, maybe there's enough accumulation to force action. If everyone thinks the same way you do, nothing will get done.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
LOL

Your comment took me by surprise but unfortunately, I see this all the time (at least the dog/distracted driving I mean). Obviously the driving skills are a problem, but I also think to myself... think about what's going to happen to your beloved pet when you get into an accident and your airbag deploys!
They die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: