Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:55 PM

22 posts, read 44,377 times

Advertisements

Was heading up to Chapel Hill for the Pitt game on saturday...now I dunno if I could even make it there. trying to leave tomorrow afternoon/evening. Have the roads improved any? DOT cameras show I-40 looking ok close to Chapel Hill...maybe things will be better tomorrow? it's supposed to get above freezing. hate to lose the $ I spent on the ticket but if its not safe, I'll stay home.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Where are you coming from Razgriz? Could you come Sat morning?

I think most roads will start to be pretty good tomorrow, but keep an eye on the temps. If it gets below freezing you'll be in trouble. It's supposed to be in the 40s Friday for a high, so that will help a lot with melting and roads should be fine while it's warm(er). Not sure what the temps are supposed to do in the evening, so that would make me a little nervous.

I just looked up the hourly and it looks like it will be in the high 30s throughout Friday evening so I think you'll probably be good to come.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 44,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Where are you coming from Razgriz? Could you come Sat morning?

I think most roads will start to be pretty good tomorrow, but keep an eye on the temps. If it gets below freezing you'll be in trouble. It's supposed to be in the 40s Friday for a high, so that will help a lot with melting and roads should be fine while it's warm(er). Not sure what the temps are supposed to do in the evening, so that would make me a little nervous.

I just looked up the hourly and it looks like it will be in the high 30s throughout Friday evening so I think you'll probably be good to come.
hey, thanks for the reply, I'm coming from Greenville. thankfully it's 264 and I-40 all the way to chapel hill. The roads here were horrible yesterday but cleared up this morning, its only been raining out here. I was thinking things should be better Friday afternoon but if the locals say things are really bad I doubt one day of partial melting will help much and I wouldn't risk the trip. I could come Saturday morning as a last resort but I think its supposed to be below freezing friday night again.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:28 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
What a day yesterday was for everyone. Glad all that have reported are safe.

I went to work intending to leave at noon. I had to handle a few matters & since I lived the closest to work, I told others to go ahead & leave. After completing what had to go out, I walked out to the parking lot, quite mystified to see how much the snow had already piled up. I work near North Hills & it took me 30 minutes to get the mile to the beltline from Six Forks.

At that point the beltline was already in gridlock but I was hesitant of going through downtown Raleigh to my home in southeastern Raleigh. I got into the gridlock & eventually found it moving if I stayed in the left lane past the crazies. The merging for Wake Forest Road & Capital Boulevard is already a nightmare on a good day, so I expected it would be insane on a snow day & it did not disappoint. People at that point were starting to abandon their vehicles in the travel lanes which caused further back-ups. Eventually once I got past that & New Bern exit, the 264 bypass exit was backed up due to the hilled ramp. I passed that & decided to go with Poole Road for my exit. There was a guy in a Lexis hanging out in a travel lane with his hazards on. Next to him was a woman in a Volvo SUV who clearly was digging more of a hole in the snow. Two lanes had to narrow down to pass between them & had to wait for someone on Poole to let them out because people kept blocking that intersection. Eventually after it took 30 minutes of sitting on the bridge at Poole, I took back roads to my subdivision & got there safely. 2.5 hours to go 10 miles.

Observations:
- My Honda Accord Hybrid did excellent in the deep snow & ice. Slow & steady wins the race.
- People that left their vehicles in a travel lane were causing a lot of trouble. Pull it / push it to the side, please.
- People followed way too closely & gunned it way too much. Several cars & trucks (without adding snow to weight their truckbeds) were spinning aimlessly in perpendicular positions. Their attempts to spin their way out meant that the entire travel lanes came to a standstill because nobody wanted to be passing if/when that car/truck got traction.
- People need to stop blocking intersections, no matter whether it's good weather or bad. It's basic logic that when you sit in the intersection like an idiot & prevent side-street/exit ramp people from entering the main road for 5 cycles of the light (yes, I counted), you are an idiot.
- People need to also realize that when there are two left turn lanes on a ramp exit, you do not get to create a third & turn at the same time that I do meaning that I (as the middle car) have nowhere to go. I will glare at you & put my window down to tell you so.

I hope people can retrieve their cars today. Many of them reminded me of the 2005 ice storm. The cars were just left wherever. I even saw one with the door left open. Good luck cleaning that snow & ice out when you retrieve it.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Funny how much crap those of us who mentioned not wanting a repeat of 2005 got when it snowed a couple of weeks ago.

I'll give you 1 guess where I was yesterday.

(Hint: same place I am right now.)

Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
I told the husband to leave work by lunchtime, due to the approaching weather. He got on the highway just as the snow began, so got home before all of the trouble.

Some storm. For a Floridian, watching it was fascinating. I went out to take a walk. The roads outside of our development were crazy - cops trying to help people whose cars weren't making it up the hills, etc.

I bet everyone will be out and about this weekend - cabin fever you know!

Still looks like it wants to snow some more.

Very glad the ice accumulation was less than they feared. I like having power.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Funny how much crap those of us who mentioned not wanting a repeat of 2005 got when it snowed a couple of weeks ago.

I'll give you 1 guess where I was yesterday.

(Hint: same place I am right now.)
Yep.
And if someone tells you they got stuck in the snow in 2000 and in the ice storm in 2002 and in the snarl of 2005 and yesterday...
Find them a keeper!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Seems to be several Flrodians here now.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I told the husband to leave work by lunchtime, due to the approaching weather. He got on the highway just as the snow began, so got home before all of the trouble.

Some storm. For a Floridian, watching it was fascinating. I went out to take a walk. The roads outside of our development were crazy - cops trying to help people whose cars weren't making it up the hills, etc.

I bet everyone will be out and about this weekend - cabin fever you know!

Still looks like it wants to snow some more.

Very glad the ice accumulation was less than they feared. I like having power.

Ours was out for 2.5 hours here in Cary.

Another friend in Cary (further west) said his was out for 5 hours.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yep.
And if someone tells you they got stuck in the snow in 2000 and in the ice storm in 2002 and in the snarl of 2005 and yesterday...
Find them a keeper!

LOL! Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary