Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
She has to be in tip top shape.

That's a 2-3 hour walk at least (below it says 4 hours).

Tip my hat to her. I hope I'd still be able to make a trek like that and live to tell about it in my 40s or 50s.
Yeah, all of us in our 40s and 50s are just such decrepit old folks. It's a wonder we're even still kickin'.

I think it's awesome she did it, and I bet she was sore, but I don't think it's *amazing*. I am definitely not in tip top shape, but I can walk and I can do a 10+ mile hike w/o much trouble. I have no doubt at all that my spouse could do 10 miles in the snow.

Going for a 10 mile run is not at all uncommon for a runner. It wouldn't even be a good workout if you were training for a marathon and I know lots of people who do those. It wasn't _that_ bad out there for walking yesterday. The freezing rain today was worse. It was pretty unlikely that she would actually freeze to death. She was dressed for the weather (unlike the story I read about a pregnant woman walking home in pumps and business attire and a coat that wouldn't button over her belly). There were lots of people out (news crews even) and she wasn't out in the wilderness or anything. From her interview it sounded like she bit off a bit more than she could chew, but it didn't sound like she really had a problem besides needing to pee until the last mile or so.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
My friend is 47 and is ready to run a half marathon. She goes out for 10+ mi runs routinely. A lot of people in their 40's and 50's (and even upwards) can walk or run 7 or more miles. I'm not saying it would be fun in crappy cold weather, but sure, it could be done (and in fact was).

Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
But, on the upside: NO power outage so far in my area (knock wood), the storm is past us, warmer temps are coming, and all of this current stuff will be melting away. And so goes the most recent snowmageddon of Feb.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah, all of us in our 40s and 50s are just such decrepit old folks. It's a wonder we're even still kickin'.

LOL

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:

I think it's awesome she did it, and I bet she was sore, but I don't think it's *amazing*. I am definitely not in tip top shape, but I can walk and I can do a 10+ mile hike w/o much trouble. I have no doubt at all that my spouse could do 10 miles in the snow.

Going for a 10 mile run is not at all uncommon for a runner. It wouldn't even be a good workout if you were training for a marathon and I know lots of people who do those. It wasn't _that_ bad out there for walking yesterday. The freezing rain today was worse. It was pretty unlikely that she would actually freeze to death. She was dressed for the weather (unlike the story I read about a pregnant woman walking home in pumps and business attire and a coat that wouldn't button over her belly). There were lots of people out (news crews even) and she wasn't out in the wilderness or anything. From her interview it sounded like she bit off a bit more than she could chew, but it didn't sound like she really had a problem besides needing to pee until the last mile or so.

From her own mouth, she said underestimated the distance and almost collapsed.

But I didn't mean to come off as ageist, so thanks for the correction.

But I stand by my comment in saying I'd like to be able to have the ability to make that trek in my 40s and 50s. Because I really would. I'm not gonna say I wouldn't that's for sure!

So you're a runner? Maybe we should jog sometime...

We could see how the 40s and 50 somethings stack up to the whipper snappers!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
No, I'm not a runner at all. I mean I've done some 5ks with the kids, but not a regular runner at all. But I could easily walk 10 miles in nice weather. My kids can too. It's really not a horribly long distance. Certainly it would be much harder in snow, but for someone who is a runner/walker/regular exerciser it would be easier than it would be for an average sedentary person. I don't know that I would make the choice she did, but I think if I had to I could do it. We don't know anything about her, but I was just speculating that she might be a runner or maybe she's a cyclist, swimmer, iron-woman triathlete, or maybe she just takes long walks. She most likely exercises regularly (she's a professor of nursing) and knows what she's usually capable of. I do think it's remarkable and my hat's off to her, but I don't think it's a superhuman feat or crazy stupid, either one.

And certainly not any more remarkable because she's 50+. If you want something to shoot for in your later years, a feat that's remarkable at any age, but really incredible is my friend's 81 year old Dad finishing a marathon, or NC native Margaret Haggerty from Concord who is still running in races at 90 and has completed more than 80 marathons all in her 60s, 70s, and 80s. That's _really_ impressive!

I listened to WRAL's interview with the woman who walked in the snow and although she did use the phrase that she was "just about ready to collapse" referring to the last mile I'm not sure that's necessarily the same as "almost collapsed". Her tone of voice and her retelling of the the story sounded pretty matter of fact, so it made me wonder if she was using that phrase more generally and idiomatically rather than specifically meaning she was almost falling down and unable to get up, but in either case it did sound like she was grateful for some help at that point. There's more info in the interview, too, vs the transcription: Apex woman tells tale of walking 10 miles home in snow :: WRAL.com .

"And actually the walk was not all that bad until I got up to Kildaire and the wind started hitting me with the freezing rain. I was dressed for it, though."

Bill Leslie asked her what the toughest part was and she said, "The toughest part was I really needed to use the restroom..."

There's another thread on here from someone who said he walked about 10 miles in the snow, too — sounds like it was along the same route, too: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...uge-thank.html .

Last edited by poppydog; 02-13-2014 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 AM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Before long we'll be talking about how bad the pollen is, and this will all be a distant memory.
Yikes, I forgot about that.

I'd rather have the snow!

Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
No, I'm not a runner at all. I mean I've done some 5ks with the kids, but not a regular runner at all. But I could easily walk 10 miles in nice weather. My kids can too. It's really not a horribly long distance. Certainly it would be much harder in snow, but for someone who is a runner/walker/regular exerciser it would be easier than it would be for an average sedentary person. I don't know that I would make the choice she did, but I think if I had to I could do it. We don't know anything about her, but I was just speculating that she might be a runner or maybe she's a cyclist, swimmer, iron-woman triathlete, or maybe she just takes long walks. She most likely exercises regularly (she's a professor of nursing) and knows what she's usually capable of. I do think it's remarkable and my hat's off to her, but I don't think it's a superhuman feat or crazy stupid, either one.

And certainly not any more remarkable because she's 50+. If you want something to shoot for in your later years, a feat that's remarkable at any age, but really incredible is my friend's 81 year old Dad finishing a marathon, or NC native Margaret Haggerty from Concord who is still running in races at 90 and has completed more than 80 marathons all in her 60s, 70s, and 80s. That's _really_ impressive!

I listened to WRAL's interview with the woman who walked in the snow and although she did use the phrase that she was "just about ready to collapse" referring to the last mile I'm not sure that's necessarily the same as "almost collapsed". Her tone of voice and her retelling of the the story sounded pretty matter of fact, so it made me wonder if she was using that phrase more generally and idiomatically rather than specifically meaning she was almost falling down and unable to get up, but in either case it did sound like she was grateful for some help at that point. There's more info in the interview, too, vs the transcription: Apex woman tells tale of walking 10 miles home in snow :: WRAL.com .

"And actually the walk was not all that bad until I got up to Kildaire and the wind started hitting me with the freezing rain. I was dressed for it, though."

Bill Leslie asked her what the toughest part was and she said, "The toughest part was I really needed to use the restroom..."

There's another thread on here from someone who said he walked about 10 miles in the snow, too — sounds like it was along the same route, too: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...uge-thank.html .
If you've participated in 5ks, I think you could definitely be a runner if you wanted too... and you probably could make that wintry trek if you had to.

We just differ on a few things... especially what is defined as "long." When a walk hits the 4 hour mark, then that is long to me. I believe the average person would consider it to be long. (I have no statistical data or empirical evidence to back that up, however, lol).

Especially when it's a walk not a hike along thoroughfares and divided highways.

But poppycock, I dunno if there's a correlation between nursing and fitness. And I wouldn't consider "just about ready to collapse" as idiomatic.

It's a fair distinction that you made between "just about ready to" and "almost" collapsing. But there's one commonality: Her expression of fatigue. And thanks for pointing out the actual interview. I overlooked that. So there is some nuance here.

And you posted some really impressive examples of fitness... But considering the conditions, the duration of the walk and that she had to pee, I'd agree, and say her nine mile trek is pretty remarkable (if not impressive, too).

I dunno...maybe I'm easily impressed.

I wonder if she'd do it again if she had a redo...

Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM

183 posts, read 454,267 times
Our power was out for 11 hours - it was restored 3 pm yesterday.

I was very glad to have it back - it did get very cold indoors after that long...

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
We just differ on a few things... especially what is defined as "long." When a walk hits the 4 hour mark, then that is long to me. ...
I think this is what it comes down to, more than age. It's what you are personally capable of and what you THINK you are personally capable of.

It can also be the perception of the trek. If you walk around Washington DC all day touring and visiting the sights, you are going to put some serious mileage on your body and when someone tells you how far you walked you would be wowed by it. But if someone says "abandon your car and walk 10 miles in the snow to your house" you might not feel up to the task.

I keep a pedometer app running on my phone and I generally walk about 2 miles a day at my job. But I don't really feel it because I'm working. That's not a far difference by any stretch but it feels different than putting on my sneakers and going for a two mile power walk, KWIM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary