Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times

Advertisements

This is my first winter in about 8 years, before here I lived in Phoenix, and before that I lived close to my parents who had a lifetime of preparations made for bad weather. I never really had to concern myself with being prepared for power loss.

Last night as the news reports started talking about 1/2" of ice my wife said "we should probably at least have a kerosene heater, right?". So we went out hoping to find one leftover in a store, but we had no luck.

I always like to be prepared, and honestly I'm upset that I haven't considered this earlier. Do you think I'm over reacting by hunting down a heat source today? Obviously no one can predict the future. To those that have lived here longer have you seen similar storms knock out power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 AM

17 posts, read 28,350 times
Yes in 2002 there was a huge ice storm with 3/4+ inch of ice that knocked out power for hundreds of thousands of NC residents. I was in Durham for the storm and I think we were without power for 4 days, but some people had to wait more than a week to get power back.

December 4-5, 2002 Winter Storm

Officials: Wednesday weather may be repeat of 2002 ice storm - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Last night I was at a Tractor Supply and they still had some heaters and generators in stock, but it might be tough to find anything this morning.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 AM

187 posts, read 345,201 times
I'm concerned about a power outage. It's just me and my elderly dog, but a week long power outage would be a problem.

I've followed most of the usual advice - have battery powered flashlights and radio, stockpiled water and sandwich stuff/things that don't have to be cooked, and am charging all electronics/phone. Just need to gas up the car.

Aside from that, my pooch and I will just bundle up on the sofa together and be thankful we have a roof over our heads and food to eat. :-)

Be safe, everyone!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
I'd only be concerned if I had elderly/sickly/infants at home. Other than that be prepared to hunker down but don't worry...it's out of your hands.

We have:
food
drinks
gas stove and water heater (both operational during the last big power outage)
Plans to boil lots of large pots of water (we have smke/CO2 detectors on battery power)
batteries
plans to sleep in one upstairs room with our twin 9yr olds under heavy blankets under a makeshift tent

If we lose power we will feast on all the expensive stuff in the freezer for breakfast/lunch/dinner!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetelf View Post
I've followed most of the usual advice - have battery powered flashlights and radio, stockpiled water and sandwich stuff/things that don't have to be cooked, and am charging all electronics/phone.
A little Sterno Stove will allow you to boil water, heat soup, etc.

Purchase the Sterno Stove Kit for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Dont forget about your gas grills, if you really need to cook meats (or if your grill has side burner you can make soups). We have just relocated from Tampa and in hurricane season we found our gas grill came in handy during power outages. We put our grill on the back porch here and if we have to use it, it is under cover but far enough from house to cause a problem. Set it up and got propane just in case we need it.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
We have a backup generator that I installed, just in case. I brought it with me when we moved South because the person who bought my house already had a gen.
I never thought we would need it here and maybe we won't but just in case we will have some power for lights and to run the fan on the gas fireplace. Not great but better than nothing. I only hope that I can get fuel in case of a long outage.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 AM

360 posts, read 720,866 times
I have been here nearly 10 years and have never lost power due to any storm, or otherwise really.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetelf View Post
Be safe, everyone!

I have to do a double take evertime I see your username. At a quick glance I see "Sweetleaf" and Black Sabbath music floods my mind

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Dont forget about your gas grills
We have natural gas, with a line run to the outside grill. If the power is out, we can't run the furnance, but can take hot showers and cook on the grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary