Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM

166 posts, read 828,389 times

Advertisements

About 10 months ago, we decided to cancel cable. The lowest they could give us was like $55 per month, with additional for DVR etc. Stayed without it and then decided it was time to let the tv monster back in the house. And started looking into rates. We were not picky about satellite vs cable. We have roadrunner through TWCNC so called them first. So, 200 channels was $49.99 with extra for DVR ( they are offering a special where we get it free for 3 months and then the prices go up, but wait, they can't tell us how much it will go up to, he can only tell me how much once he schedules the installation of the service). After 12 months, it will go up to 80+. That compared to Dish. Great rates, I got the movie channels for 3 months, and free DVR for life.
We really need to have another cable option in...the price difference between the two is crazy. We have had Dish before, and really, there is no HUGE difference between the two. Sure bad weather at times disrupts the service, but if I am paying $30 a month for more channels/features than what I would get for cable, I would go for dish.
Just a rant. Wanted to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,418 times
AT&T U-verse is supposed to be a competitor but their rollout is so slow it's taking forever, and demonstrates the same complacency that TWC is renowned for. The answer will most probably be provided by technology with better integration of TV's and the internet using Hulu and Netflix as mainstream alternatives.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 AM

119 posts, read 394,290 times
I completely understand what you're saying! In our house we're ready to can TWC before we hit the 12 month mark with them & try out Netflix & Hulu plus alone & see what we think. I think the biggest thing we would miss will be the ability to "channel surf" but maybe that's not a bad thing?!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM

166 posts, read 828,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave119 View Post
I completely understand what you're saying! In our house we're ready to can TWC before we hit the 12 month mark with them & try out Netflix & Hulu plus alone & see what we think. I think the biggest thing we would miss will be the ability to "channel surf" but maybe that's not a bad thing?!
you know, I thought I would not miss it...but I did. Never realized how much until I went to a friend's place last week and suddenly remember the joys of channel surfing, pausing, replaying, watching anything I want without having to wait...
I am satisfied though. Got a really good deal through Dish...hope this experience continues ...frustrated with TWCNC, they evidently dont want my business if they are not going to TRY to be competitive with their rates.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
It's the same even when there is competition. All they really care about is signing up new customers. When we lived in NY we had Verizon Fios instead of Cablevision (our local cable company) and really the only difference was the rates for new customers. People actually used to switch back and forth between the two to get the best rate.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,723 times
At least you have some hope for competition, here in Holly Springs, we have "competition", but it is a crappy hometown cable system that charges more than TWC and just rebroadcast their channels. For the prices after the promo period, see this page https://www.timewarnercable.com/East/shop/pricing.html (broken link)
It shows the non-promo price for their service, and everything they nickel and dime you for.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
There is nothing magic about competition. All these companies face basically the same operational and financial challenges, regardless of coax versus fiber. They all buy programming from the same sources at basically the same rates. They all use the same equipment to provide Internet access, telephony service, etc. They all seek a similar return on invested capital.

Consequently they all look basically alike.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 AM

76 posts, read 304,225 times
Yes, we definitely need other options!!

I refuse to ever use Dish Network again because of a horrible experience with them. TWC has messed up too, but not as bad. Both situations had to do with their own representatives making misrepresentations that have cost me $$.

A Dish Network rep forged a family member's signature on a contract and TWC misquoted a package price for me so that when I got my bill it was actually $20 higher than what I was quoted - I called both companies about the issues I had with each. TWC didn't fully rectify the issue and Dish did nothing at all. Dish Network will never see a cent of my money again. I currently still have TWC, but probably not for long.

IMHO, TWC could cut back on all their useless advertising and pass the savings on to the customer. Because really when there are a limited number of choices for services in an area, you really don't need advertising. Word will spread. I'm always wary of heavy advertisers. There's obviously a reason they need to advertise so heavily since they can't rely on current customers spreading a good word for them (because there's no good word to spread!)

I just got a Roku player... it offers quite a few things: Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, etc. I'll probably drop TWC soon.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
North Raleigh, NC- I have signed up with TWCNC just for internet starting at $44.95 month. One year later they are now charging me $62 month and advised me it will go up to the normal price of $65 + $5 for the modem. WTH!!! I need another internet provider that will not rape me with their prices. This is ridiculous AT&T is the only other provider and they are not in my area. I'm bumbed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary