Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,298,829 times

Advertisements

When people are posting on city data trying to give the impression that NC is a tropical paradise, I guess its only natural some of them are misled..

Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I remember thinking that when I moved there.Turns out between 2008-2012 the winters were as cold if not colder than in NY.We broke every record in the book.All I kept hearing was how this is so unusual..blah blah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
When people are posting on city data trying to give the impression that NC is a tropical paradise, I guess its only natural some of them are misled..
It's still the south. Getting a few inches of snow in winter doesn't change that. By comparison, we've had 5 feet of snow so far this year, it hasn't been above freezing since the last week of January, and a majority of overnight lows so far in February have been below zero. Some days never even got above zero... my favorite day so far featured a mid-day temperature of -16. Whenever you think you're getting an up-north type winter down there, chances are we're getting an arctic one up here.

When you develop breath-cicles on your scarf while you're waiting for the train, then you can bellyache about how winters are no different there than up north. Compared to the weather people in the north are fleeing by moving south, NC is a tropical paradise.

Last edited by Drover; 02-13-2014 at 02:18 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,810,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I remember thinking that when I moved there.Turns out between 2008-2012 the winters were as cold if not colder than in NY.We broke every record in the book.All I kept hearing was how this is so unusual..blah blah.
What records did we break between 2008-2012?

A snow cold winter isn't abnormal for us every few winters.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,570,114 times
It's definitely still the south. I don't feel I need to purchase an ice scraper for my car or a snow shovel, and up north this weather is the norm (except colder).

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM

9,350 posts, read 14,010,665 times
Everyone will admit that Georgia is in the south, and look at their weather this winter! Even Florida had some snow. So, having snow or not is not what distinguishes NC from "up north", it is the fact that the snow/ice/whatever does not stick around for weeks on end. As long as you can sit tight for a couple of days, chances are the snow and ice will melt and we will be business as usual within the week. You sure can't say that about PA, NY or MI.

But, moving anywhere just because of the weather would be foolish, since the weather is constantly changing. And as far as being happy in a place, happiness is a local phenomenon--you can be living in an area that is generally alien to you, but if you have some good friends in the neighborhood and a generally good work environment, you can still be happy. Saying that however, I am pretty sure that I would be less happy than I am now if I had to live in a PUD rather than on a little farm.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,579,597 times
When I moved to North Carolina my household possessions were transported by a major moving company. The 18-wheeler was driven by a New Yorker but the unloading was done by a local crew.

They unloaded a large garden tractor. They unloaded the tractor's mower deck attachment. They unloaded the rotary tiller attachment. Then they unloaded the snowblower attachment. One young man looked at that big rusty augur with a puzzled expression. He asked in a quiet respectful manner, "Mister, what is that thing?" Hearing his question made me realize I had arrived in the Promised Land!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times
Compared to what my family has experienced in Michigan, this winter weather is nothing. They have had weeks of single digit and negative degree weather, and 30"+ of snow in January alone. This was a light dusting compared to them.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,055 times
We get it, you win! The North gets more snow and cold (after all you are farther from the equator).

What people were trying to say is this is not Key West. We DO get winter weather from time to time and it DOES make sense you bring your snow shovel with you when you come here. I still don't understand why so many people moving here don't bring their snow shovels and then get surprised when they need one. How much space does a show shovel really take up?

We're in the south yes, but we're not in South Florida! It makes sense to bring a show shovel, have some rock salt/ice melt on hand and be prepared to deal with some winter weather every now and then. I have a neighbor who doesn't have a winter jacket and told me that it's not really cold when we were in the single digits with highs barely in the 20's for a week or two back in January. I get that it might be colder than were you're from, but we were actually colder that week then the average high where they were from. It's like they say that because they want to feel tough for some reason. Funny I didn't see them outside playing with their kids when we had the 2-3" a few weeks ago.

It's OK to admit it's cold even if it's colder where you came from...we won't hold it against you!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
Yet another thread that caused my IQ to drop a few points after reading it..

Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
It's OK to admit it's cold even if it's colder where you came from...we won't hold it against you!
You must have missed the basic premise of the original post -- that it's not any colder or snowier, and possibly even less so -- in NY than it is in R/D/C. Which is, to put it bluntly, a dumb assertion worthy of every bit of scorn it has received in the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary