Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,585 times

Advertisements

I remember thinking that when I moved there.Turns out between 2008-2012 the winters were as cold if not colder than in NY.We broke every record in the book.All I kept hearing was how this is so unusual..blah blah.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM

42 posts, read 94,954 times
I moved here from FL thinking it was a great middle-ground between the north and south. Not as hot in the summer, and cold enough for some occasional snowy fun in the winter. Phenomenal springs & falls though, way better than florida.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:21 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I remember thinking that when I moved there.Turns out between 2008-2012 the winters were as cold if not colder than in NY.We broke every record in the book.All I kept hearing was how this is so unusual..blah blah.

Think of it this way, there may be snow here, but there is more in NY. You know the same unusual amounts.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFNut View Post
I moved here from FL thinking it was a great middle-ground between the north and south. Not as hot in the summer, and cold enough for some occasional snowy fun in the winter. Phenomenal springs & falls though, way better than florida.
We arrived here a week and a half ago. Snow was on the ground and my 4 yr old son was so excited. I told him that he wouldn't see much snow do enjoy it while it was in the ground. We moved here from FL and look forward to the Spring and Fall. After living in England and being there through some harsh winters, I learned to appreciate the Spring time when it arrived.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I moved South from PA. I am in the South. My climate is Southern Mid-Atlantic. After 17 years, I do believe I am living in the perfect climate. For Me.
My brother in PA sent this tonight:

"...we are going to miss this storm. We have 12-15 inches on the ground right now. No major storm just a few inches here and there. It all adds up when the high temperature since the beginning of the year was 36. We've had 15 days where we were below 0 sometime during the day. Plus 3 days we didn't hit 0 at all! Warm up next week I hear. I'm ready."

Climate was definitely a major reason for the move. No regrets. I've been cold before, and I'm not going back....

Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 PM

272 posts, read 303,415 times
A great part of the charm of the Triangle is that it disappoints continuously, in every way imaginable.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Why do people choose to live where they are not happy with where they live?
It is an eternal mystery.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I KNOW! If you're disappointed, carry your ___ back where you came from!

I know some folks who came here in the NINETIES who are "disappointed" - and are STILL HERE!

I've lived here my whole life, never lived in NY - but the winters have been pretty mild the past few years. We might get a random freak snow, but then it's warm temperatures the rest of the winters (not including this winter). Even with the cold days, I still imagine this isn't like a more northern climate. Many winter days I go WITHOUT a coat.

I remember it snowing MUCH more when I was growing up in the 80s.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sometimes they have good jobs that keep them here. Or they have family here. Or they have a spouse and kids who like the area. There are many reasons.

I came here because my husband was transferred here. He went to college here, has lived here before, his mom lives here, and he really likes it. I do not, but he has a job and I don't. So here we stay. Not much of a mystery at all.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
But the climate, while the initial subject of the thread, was not what you commented about. You asked a general question about why people stay here if they are not happy. There are many reasons why people stay here, even if they don't like a number of things about the region, the weather probably being one of the least important factors for most people. I doubt there are many people who love everything about this region but hate the weather and are clamoring to leave because of it.

I actually like the climate - better than where I came from anyway - it's one of the few things I like here better than where I lived before, but it doesn't make up for all that I don't like about the area.

ETA: Okay, now I know why I couldn't quote what you said, Mike. It looks like you deleted your comment. In which case, this comment in response, makes no sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary