Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,923,090 times

Advertisements

Sold my boat trailer to an out of state friend but didn't turn my NC tags in. The tags are now gone forever. After calling Wake County Rev. Dept. they suggested taking a copy of the out of state title (which I have) to the nearby license and tag facility (NC-DOT/DMV division). Anyone have experience with this process? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM

150 posts, read 226,023 times
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You don't have to turn them in and what does wake county have to do with it? They only tax you when you renew your plates. If you don't renew then nothing happens.

If you'd have done nothing then nothing would have happened. They don't come looking for them. You are supposed to keep the plates but you aren't supposed to give them away. Have no clue what happens when you tell them it is gone. Probably nothing.

If you are really concerned about it go to the nc dmv headquarters on new bern ave. My guess is they'll tell you that there's nothing to do.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,521,804 times
I am not sure "nothing happens" if you don't turn them in. It will go down with an expired registration, I know in NY they can suspend your license if they think you are driving around with plates that are expired.

In NY, this happened to me. Similar story to yours. I had to report them lost to the DMV and they just cancelled the plates. I would just go to DMV and say the tag fell off and you don't want to renew. They will cancel.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 AM

150 posts, read 226,023 times
This isn't NY.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM

523 posts, read 1,321,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfkidd View Post
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You don't have to turn them in and what does wake county have to do with it? They only tax you when you renew your plates. If you don't renew then nothing happens.

If you'd have done nothing then nothing would have happened. They don't come looking for them. You are supposed to keep the plates but you aren't supposed to give them away. Have no clue what happens when you tell them it is gone. Probably nothing.

If you are really concerned about it go to the nc dmv headquarters on new bern ave. My guess is they'll tell you that there's nothing to do.
Technically, you ARE supposed to turn in any plates that you don't transfer to another vehicle (or trailer, in this case). You might be eligible for a pro-rated refund of the taxes, and that would require that you have a certificate of plate surrender (Form FS-20) from the DMV:

Wake County - Motor Vehicles

With that said, you're right that they don't come looking for plates. The OP really has nothing to worry about.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,548,971 times
Pretty sure the only purpose of turning in your tags is to get a return of paid taxes on the vehicle. Don't worry about it.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,803,562 times
I kept vanity plates from two of my classic cars when I sold them, never had an issue and it has been 6-7 years now.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:31 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,564,002 times
Going on 3 years with a set of NC tags, 10 years for a set of MD tags and 15 years with a set of NY tags. No one has come looking for em. Never gotten a letter, just let the tags expire. I think when someone "different" registers the vehicles VIN/Title ID the various dmvs just stop any activity around your former registration. They got big fish to fry.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,923,090 times
Thanks everyone.
This all started when I received a tax bill for the trailer and neglected to pay it on time. Minor fine and when I called Wake Cty. they told me to send them a copy of the out of state trailer title to therm (I guess to get it off the books) and take a copy to the DMV. I never had to turn tags into the previous states I lived in. Hate going to DMV since they are such a happy lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary