Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM

646 posts, read 926,630 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. I realize nothing is gon be like NYC, and I don't want it to be. I also realize that no place is perfect, but I am quite open minded. I used to live in Portland, OR so wondering how Raleigh compares to it. I actually don't like Portland and think it's boring and corny with all the hipster nonsense, but I am used to that kinda slower pace and high QOL comparing to NYC. Other questions:

What's the vibe like?
Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone coming from Portland?
I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?
How are immigrants looked at? (I'm Russian)

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
General info on Raleigh

General info on Raleigh

General info on Raleigh

General info on Raleigh

Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 PM

354 posts, read 627,594 times
Well my friend I live in Greenville NC which is about an hour away from Raleigh. Raleigh is pretty decent they have good nightlife,job economy asa matter of fact The Research Triangle Area(Raleigh/Durham) has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state of NC & thats a good thing mostly because its a metropolitan area & yes they have a ton of museums and all. Not necessarily in The RDU Area U also have Greensboro area now they have a decent nightlife its alot of bars/clubs there in Greensboro or U can take a 2hr drive down to Charlotte for some fun Now Charlotte is The Queen City of NC I wish U the best

Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 AM

354 posts, read 627,594 times
Once Again if you really wanna have a good time feel free to drive up to Greensboro or Charlotte if you ever get bored with Raleigh if u kinda misunderstood what i said in the last response lol

Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. I realize nothing is gon be like NYC, and I don't want it to be. I also realize that no place is perfect, but I am quite open minded. I used to live in Portland, OR so wondering how Raleigh compares to it. I actually don't like Portland and think it's boring and corny with all the hipster nonsense, but I am used to that kinda slower pace and high QOL comparing to NYC. Other questions:

What's the vibe like?
Sleepy, overgrown Southern suburb.
Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone coming from Portland?
yes, its distinct. Its been discussed here alot. There are both detractors and defenders. It would be a huge culture shock in my opinion. As I've said many time, Southerners dislike and distrust outsiders. Dealing with transplants would be a mixed experience.
I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Raleigh leans religious conservative, but that's not to say it's not "diverse". You can look up the demographics somewhere I'm sure.
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
The area probably best appeals to couples with children and they spend their time on all the activities that come with family life.
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?
There is a small area called Glenwood south that many of the local people consider their center of nightlife. It really is a couple of blocks of bars / pubs that mainly appeal to college age people and slightly older. It is most likely to impress people from rural areas. The museums - coming from NYC, just forget about this. Restaurants are mostly chain. Strip clubs / burlesque - you'll probably find these quite underwhelming. The conservative establishment eschews them and the women that work there aren't much to look at.
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
Not sure. I don't doubt it's popular in some circles.
How's the women?
This probably depends on the circles you move in, but I would say generally Southern, religious, and conservative.
How are immigrants looked at? (I'm Russian)
Not sure if there's a substantial Russian community in Raleigh.
Any other relevant info will be helpful.
Based on your comments and priorities, I would say you would find Raleigh even more boring than Portland.. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:29 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'm going to say that I suspect you'd be bored here - but that Durham might be a better fit than Raleigh.

Frankly, I hear Miami or LA calling you. . .

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

O ok, would Charlotte be a better fit then? Miami and LA too hot for me, I like 4 seasons

Old 02-16-2014, 05:43 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
O ok, would Charlotte be a better fit then? Miami and LA too hot for me, I like 4 seasons
Not really I'm afraid.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Maybe Atlanta or DC?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Maybe Atlanta or DC?
Yea, I'm considering them too. I'm looking for a job in multiple cities and will go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary