Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times

Advertisements

I don't know why. I just speak from experience from my previous house, which was under the RDU flight path. Whenever it rained outside the noise from the planes was substantially louder within my home, and the planes seemed to be lower to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 PM

379 posts, read 749,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I don't know why. I just speak from experience from my previous house, which was under the RDU flight path. Whenever it rained outside the noise from the planes was substantially louder within my home, and the planes seemed to be lower to the ground.
Clouds insulate the noise. I doubt they're lower. Approach altitudes are standardized.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:21 PM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
Clouds insulate the noise. I doubt they're lower. Approach altitudes are standardized.
All I know is it certainly sounded a lot louder in my home during a rainstorm - substantially louder to *me*. But I wasn't trying to measure altitude in the rain nor using out a decibel meter.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
All I know is it certainly sounded a lot louder in my home during a rainstorm - substantially louder to *me*. But I wasn't trying to measure altitude in the rain nor using out a decibel meter.
So maybe you shouldn't say they fly lower...

Aircraft don't fly lower in the rain. They just...don't.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM

144 posts, read 556,200 times
I have lived in the flight path for 7 years. The first time I saw a plane go over it was a bit shocking and I admit the sound took some getting used to. However now my boyfriend and I play the "guess what plane is coming over head" game based off of its location in the flight path. I have gotten very good at it and its almost funny and honestly just part of our life. The planes are now just background noise except for the occasional Fedex; those are crazy loud.

The other day when all the flights were canceled for snow it was eerie how quiet it was without the plane noise; I have become quite used to it.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So maybe you shouldn't say they fly lower...

Aircraft don't fly lower in the rain. They just...don't.
Maybe planes don't adjust their altitudes on approach when landing in bad weather, and maybe I just noticed them more and *thought* they were flying lower because I noticed them more . But the noise at my house seemed to me to be substantially louder during those times. Maybe the pilots needed to use the engines on their planes to compensate more? .

Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Noise is subjective as we've discussed on this forum.

There are some neighborhoods in which the planes fly low. For example, Harrington Grove, Woodlawn, Dominion Park in north Raleigh. However, those areas are very desirable, great schools, good shopping, close to RTP, so people will live in those neighborhoods and get used to the planes.

In Morrisville/Cary area, Twin Lakes has lots of airplane noise too but that hasn't stopped the neighborhood from selling.

If you know that you are very sensitive to that type of noise, best thing is to call the Noise Control guy and give him the address that you are considering. He can tell you the times the planes are going to be flying over and you can go and see or hear, for yourself!

Vicki

Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
The new low flying aircraft is because "NextGen" has been implemented about 2 years ago, and thr FAA has redesigned all the air space.

I live in Brooklyn NY. I have been in my same apartment for 25 years, and only 2 years ago as if by divine right the FAA has changed thier flight paths to only a few blocks from my beautifully quiet neighborhood, to head towards LaGuardia to land.

It has made Brooklyn a complete war zone. The planes fly every 30 seconds apart, all day, every day. They fly around 3000 - 2600 feet in the air. There are several websites to look at because of this.

We can thank our Obama moron for exempting the FAA from doing any noise studies on the environment. So where as planes that flew over unpopulated areas and water, are now flying directly over our backyards

PASSUR

scroll down to watch airport monitor live, bottom right.

This will tell you the flight path of the day.

I would never never never never never ever ever ever buy a home near an airport or in a flightpath.

They say Nextgen is supposed to save fuel and noise and pollution. It does not. How can more planes flying at lower altitudes be quiet. When one fades, the next one comes....like clockwork, every 30 seconds apart, all day, every day.
2 planes a minute, time 15 hours a day, and BTW, we are all breathing in this cancerous exhaust.

Prospect Park Quiet Skies

quietskies.net | Working to keep all aircraft noise at reasonable levels

hope this helps

Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The new low flying aircraft is because "NextGen" has been implemented about 2 years ago, and thr FAA has redesigned all the air space.

I live in Brooklyn NY. I have been in my same apartment for 25 years, and only 2 years ago as if by divine right the FAA has changed thier flight paths to only a few blocks from my beautifully quiet neighborhood, to head towards LaGuardia to land.

It has made Brooklyn a complete war zone. The planes fly every 30 seconds apart, all day, every day. They fly around 3000 - 2600 feet in the air. There are several websites to look at because of this.

We can thank our Obama moron for exempting the FAA from doing any noise studies on the environment. So where as planes that flew over unpopulated areas and water, are now flying directly over our backyards

PASSUR

scroll down to watch airport monitor live, bottom right.

This will tell you the flight path of the day.

I would never never never never never ever ever ever buy a home near an airport or in a flightpath.

They say Nextgen is supposed to save fuel and noise and pollution. It does not. How can more planes flying at lower altitudes be quiet. When one fades, the next one comes....like clockwork, every 30 seconds apart, all day, every day.
2 planes a minute, time 15 hours a day, and BTW, we are all breathing in this cancerous exhaust.

Prospect Park Quiet Skies

quietskies.net | Working to keep all aircraft noise at reasonable levels

hope this helps
OK so a little misinformation in this post.

NextGen hasn't been implemented. Maybe in localized circumstances in trial areas (ie Louisville, KY, as UPS is a trial phase with the FAA using ADS-B, but I don't work for them so I'm not quite sure) some aspects of it have been. What you are referring to are optimized profile descents (OPDs) and they actually keep aircraft quite a bit higher than before. I can tell you in Raleigh's case, the arrival typically had you around 4000' on the downwind where as now we are at 7000-8000'. OPDs are the first step in the NextGen concept.

As far as fuel savings go, the numbers are huge. My carrier spends $12 billion annually in fuel - they estimate that they will be able to save almost $600 million a year in fuel just by using OPDs. Not only are they good for the $$ aspect, but they are environmentally friendly and produce significantly less noise than the "old" way of doing things. They allow idle or near idle descents from the en-route phase down to the approach, bringing aircraft right in. In case you missed it, "idle or near idle" translates into "significantly less noise".

I can't speak for what you are experiencing in LGA. LGA has no OPD arrivals and in fact are still using the same ones they were using back when I started working for the airlines in 2005. So any changes are not due to the OPDs affecting you. Whomever told you that is misinformed.

Just wanted to add...that web site you linked to is...humorous. Despite having numerous incorrect information on it, the main page features photoshopped aircraft on it. I notice a 727, which hasn't operated into LGA in probably 15 years. A British Airways 747, are you kidding? Maybe you would get more traction if you stuck to factual information.

Last edited by wheelsup; 02-17-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
I don't know the statistics but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that RDU isn't nearly as large or as noisy as LaGuardia!

So if you are trying to compare, you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary