Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
They move these around? Hmmm. I should read more.
I assume they could be put on a foundation but I'm not sure there's much benefit to doing it. Most of the ones I've seen had wheels (or the ability to easily be put on them). Underpinned like trailers I think.

If you google the Sonoma reference that was posted earlier, the "Tiny Home Dream Community" is really zoned as an RV park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
I assume they could be put on a foundation but I'm not sure there's much benefit to doing it. Most of the ones I've seen had wheels (or the ability to easily be put on them). Underpinned like trailers I think.

If you google the Sonoma reference that was posted earlier, the "Tiny Home Dream Community" is really zoned as an RV park.
That's logical, now that I ponder it.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Those neighborhoods can be nice if they are consistently funky and individualistic and if luck has been on the side of the community with regard to building choices. But if Justin Beiber moved in next door, and wanted to build a home that was shaped like a large hairy phallus, do you still support that level of individualism or should someone at some point care about common sense?
I imagine that would go against town obscenity ordinances.

I really don't care if my neighbors have cars up on blocks, or paint their houses purple or whatever. As long as they keep their ladders on their side of the fence and don't always park in front of my house, they can go all Clyde Jones with their tiny house or do whatever they want on their own property.

Did you look at the links I posted? That house is very cute and livable looking, and not a trailer at all. It has front steps, and a deck on the back, plus an upstairs loft. I don't think it would bring down a neighborhood's value, at least not in Carrboro, but maybe that's why I live in the funky part of the Triangle. I have seen some that are designed to be towed, but they are usually much smaller. This one definitely is a tiny house (404 sq ft), but not a camper. I think it would be great for a single person or couple who want to live minimally and w/o the all the crap that most folks tote around with them. (I know my garage and basement are full of it.) It would be hard to have kids in a house that small, but then again, I know a family (with 2 kids) who live in a yurt.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
That's logical, now that I ponder it.
After I wrote that about the 10x10 limit, I think larger than 12x12 needs a building permit in Wake County if its a fixed structure like a shed or workshop, and I think modular homes play by a whole different set of rules (I have no idea what those are, maybe someone who knows can chime in).

Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I imagine that would go against town obscenity ordinances.

I really don't care if my neighbors have cars up on blocks, or paint their houses purple or whatever.

Did you look at the links I posted? That house is very cute and livable looking, and not a trailer at all. It has front steps, and a deck on the back, plus an upstairs loft. I don't think it would bring down a neighborhood's value, at least not in Carrboro, but maybe that's why I live in the funky part of the Triangle. I have seen some that are designed to be towed, but they are usually much smaller. This one definitely is a tiny house (404 sq ft), but not a camper. I think it would be great for a single person or couple who want to live minimally and w/o the all the crap that most folks tote around with them. (I know my garage and basement are full of it.) It would be hard to have kids in a house that small, but then again, I know a family (with 2 kids) who live in a yurt.
Well Justin Bieber throws eggs at his neighbors home and drives six-figure cars at ridiculous speeds, all of which are against ordinances but do not make them any less annoying for those around him. The phallic home was a little bit of an extreme example, but I have seen the results of someone with enough F-U money come into a neighborhood and build something ridiculous, and trust me it's VERY painful on the homeowners. I used the example I did simply to illustrate that individualism with regard to home building can be a good thing but it can go downhill very fast. In the example I saw, the existing homes were all different but were very tasteful. It only took one rotten apple with a lot of money to cost everyone else BIG.

And yes I have seen some of the design features of these tiny homes. I'm not debating that a pitched roof and other cosmetic features add to the appeal of them individually. I've seen full on trailers that were absolutely amazing too, they don't all look like meth labs. But that doesn't mean we should have the right to go put them anywhere we are able to buy a plot of land. And I'll say it again, building an oddball home in any neighborhood (regardless of tiny or mcmansion) is a really bad idea to anyone that knows anything about real estate. Even if "oddball" means "much nicer than those around it". Just a bad idea.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM

Tell you what, you stick with your neighborhood and I'll stick with mine. Different strokes for different folks and all that. We'll keep the funky over here in Chapelboro.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Tell you what, you stick with your neighborhood and I'll stick with mine. Different strokes for different folks and all that. We'll keep the funky over here in Chapelboro.
Be my guest, but I'll leave you with one thought: you said ladders on your side of the fence bothers you, but purple houses and cars on blocks do not. It's possible that your neighbors do not share your exact tastes, they might not care about ladders but they might hate oddly colored homes or junk project cars scattered around people's yards.

Knowing that the probability that ALL of your neighbors' exact preferences are going to align perfectly with yours is pretty much zero, don't you think it's more socially responsible to err on the side of eliminating the items most likely to offend or be controversial? I say "different strokes" shouldn't give someone else the right to stroke you the wrong way simply because they like something different.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Be my guest, but I'll leave you with one thought: you said ladders on your side of the fence bothers you, but purple houses and cars on blocks do not. It's possible that your neighbors do not share your exact tastes, they might not care about ladders but they might hate oddly colored homes or junk project cars scattered around people's yards.
I think you're stretching poppy's words here trying to get the last word in. Poppydog was implying that property owners should keep their personal property on their property, not that ladders in general annoy them. I think we can all agree that you need to keep your property on your property.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM

Thanks DPK.

Jmcstef, I'm not going to argue with you, but no I don't agree with you. Let's leave it at that or start a new thread.

OP, regarding tiny houses — I just found out there's going to be a tiny house conference in Charlotte this April: Tiny House Conference | April 2014 . Looks pretty cool.

Here's an article in the N&O about a tiny house Central Carolina Community College students in Pittsboro built as part of the Sustainable Technologies program:
PITTSBORO: Pittsboro students build 450-square-foot cottage to promote sustainable living | Chatham County | NewsObserver.com

Sustainability Technologies, CCCC - Central Carolina Community College

Old 02-18-2014, 08:53 PM

698 posts, read 960,064 times
Quote:

Not all are mobile. The larger tiny homes are too big to be mobile. So you either build a smaller one that's on wheels or larger on a foundation. The ones on wheels would be way too small for me.

Yes the ones in Sonoma are being set up as an RV park because the city doesn't see a house that small as a legal house, so the way around it is to zone them as an RV park.
It doesn't mean that all residents will have their home on wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary