Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

OP, regarding tiny houses — I just found out there's going to be a tiny house conference in Charlotte this April: Tiny House Conference | April 2014 . Looks pretty cool.

Here's an article in the N&O about a tiny house Central Carolina Community College students in Pittsboro built as part of the Sustainable Technologies program:
PITTSBORO: Pittsboro students build 450-square-foot cottage to promote sustainable living | Chatham County | NewsObserver.com

Sustainability Technologies, CCCC - Central Carolina Community College
Cool, how'd you find all this info? Google it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I have mad Google skillz

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Here's one in Raleigh: Raleigh, NC Workshop March 8-9, 2014

Glad this thread has sparked interest. Will follow up in a day or two once work calms down and I have a few minutes to spare.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have mad Google skillz
I'm a big fan too, also Blackle, Google's energy efficient sister

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Very cool ERH. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
There are several tiny houses in the downtown Cary area. less than 800 sq ft.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Not all are mobile. The larger tiny homes are too big to be mobile. So you either build a smaller one that's on wheels or larger on a foundation. The ones on wheels would be way too small for me.

Yes the ones in Sonoma are being set up as an RV park because the city doesn't see a house that small as a legal house, so the way around it is to zone them as an RV park.
It doesn't mean that all residents will have their home on wheels.
I wasn't saying they were all mobile, but most of the ones I've seen in passing (keeping in mind that I never looked into them as deep as a potential buyer would) seem to involve mobility in some way or another (for example products from this site: Tumbleweed Tiny House Company - Welcome to our website ! ), or they are highly modular (large parts of it pre-assembled and later fully assembled on site).

A mobile home does not mean it is necessarily always on wheels, it means it can be easily moved from one location to another; while many would say any home fits that criteria, most of the tiny homes I've seen are not built on site, and even if they were it would be easy to move it onto a truck and take it elsewhere. I'm sure someone out there will go overboard and try to put a basement under one of these just to say they have a permanent foundation, but I doubt that's the norm.

I'm sure some of these are custom built and of higher quality than the typical modular setups, but doesn't investing a lot of money in these or exceeding a certain size sort of defeat the purpose of the cost savings they are supposed to provide?

Also curious if you have a link that supports your theory about the RV zoning in Sonoma being based solely on size? Not saying it isn't true, would just like to read about it.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There are several tiny houses in the downtown Cary area. less than 800 sq ft.
I thought the definition of tiny house (by the trendy definition of tiny house, not just houses that happen to be tiny) were in the 400-500 sq ft range? Also I think the trendy definition wants a certain amount of "smurf appeal" on the outside rather than the really small ranches from the 50s or guest house type structures we see around.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
sorry, I don't follow "trendy definitions". But a trendy thing to do is to remodel an existing tiny mid century home, versus build a new one

Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
I wasn't saying they were all mobile, but most of the ones I've seen in passing (keeping in mind that I never looked into them as deep as a potential buyer would) seem to involve mobility in some way or another

A mobile home does not mean it is necessarily always on wheels, it means it can be easily moved from one location to another; while many would say any home fits that criteria, most of the tiny homes I've seen are not built on site,

but doesn't investing a lot of money in these or exceeding a certain size sort of defeat the purpose of the cost savings they are supposed to provide?

Also curious if you have a link that supports your theory about the RV zoning in Sonoma being based solely on size? Not saying it isn't true, would just like to read about it.
Typically a tiny house is either portable (on wheels) or permanent (built on slab or foundation), Don't know the stats on the popularity of either type. Do some folks remove the wheels, I suppose so if they want to go to the trouble. The portable ones are typically built on a small pull behind trailer, they're not typically the size of a mobile home like you see in an RV park. The permanent ones are not intended to be moved from place to place, like an RV. Yes, some companies do offer a built off site option, like a typical modular home. Some folks just build their own right on site, just like a stick frame house.

Not all folks building a tiny home are doing it because they can't afford or don't want to invest money in a high end home, some simply want one for the space savings and/or the mobility, like Sonoma. And I doubt Sonoma would allow anything but high end.

I'm certainly not an expert and can't provide a link since I haven't gotten that far in the research process but from all the reading I've done, maybe not Sonoma specifically, many tiny home owners or prospective owners can not build their tiny homes in the towns/cities they wish due to zoning limitations/restrictions. Size could be a factor and/or the fact that the portable ones are not hooked to permanent water/sewer, all depends on the particular town/city what obstacles a person might encounter.

Again, I'm not an expert, it's just a topic that I'm very interested in and have done a lot of reading on the subject. If the information I've been reading is inaccurate then my information could be also.
Would be great if a tiny home owner would chime in with their experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary