Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_NC View Post
I've only been in WF for 10 years, so I'm not complaining at all, but I do agree that it's a bit disheartening to see another auto parts store get built. I've seen a lot of retail go up since we built a house here, but sadly it's been mostly unexciting. There were plans for a large shopping area at the US1 and Wake Union Church Rd. It was going to have JC Penny and be like a little Brier Creek. I looked at it with interest and disdain at the same time. I'm fairly certain nothing will be happening at that site any time soon. I've also wondered about the lot(s) along Retail Drive near the Candlewood Suites. Back before the real estate crash, LoneStar Steakhouse began building and abruptly stopped and it's forever been a eyesore (except to the kids who love to ride their bikes on the slab and piles of dirt).

We do love the restaurant in the RoseMart gas station behind Dunkin - Main Street Grill & Pizzeria. The hot italian is delicious and every dessert (minus the rock hard cookie) has been delicious. It's a good thing they don't sell the pastries like their other location on S. Main - we live within walking distance and that would be too tempting! We also LOVE Gonza at The Factory. Recently we tried out the 2 new places near Wal-mart off US 1 - Britinos and Tlaqueaque and I don't think we'll be back.
Yeah... we built a house in Wakefield in 2001 and we lived there until 2006. I was pretty disheartened by the lack of progress that area made compared to Cary (where we'd lived before we moved there)... soo.... we moved back over to Cary.

I do like the WF area... especially downtown WF. I think the housing crash and the economy did WF no favors.

I also think that US1 and the proximity to Henderson (which I really dislike due to the disproportionate amount of drugs and crime for a town that small) is NOT doing any of the nice little towns out that way any favors.

When I was teaching (I taught in Franklin County) one of my students' mothers worked at the McDonald's of US1 and 98. They got robbed and it was a horrifying experience for her. Sweet lady from a previously migrant family. Just trying to do her best (her husband was in construction and she worked morning shift at McD's while the kids were in school to help bring in more money). My point being? It was disheartening. I think that this isn't any indication of a problem with the area, it's more just a sad situation that reminded me that the area wasn't blooming quite so quickly as other parts of the Triangle.

It's not like that robbery was the only one that took place along US1 during those years. It was just the only one where I knew someone. And that poor theatre manager than got killed over in Wakefield. Very sad.

I think that, over time, WF will wind up getting the types of retail the OP mentioned. After all, it is a lovely town and there's just not but so much land left to develop in the core of Wake County/the Triangle.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
The faster Wake Forest grows, the more it will lose it's small town feel. Not that that is a bad thing but like the rest of this area, you either grow or you get stagnant.

We moved to Cary about 30 years ago because we wanted that small town feel. Hubby worked at Wake Med. The commute (less traffic than today) was about 25 minutes.

However, we soon realized that we spent much more time in North Raleigh and on Friday nights when we wanted to eat out, there were virtually no decent restaurants in Cary. Kildaire Farm WAS A FARM! Not like the restaurant row it is today.

So, we moved back to North Raleigh.

My point is...you find an area that you like. But, there are no guarantees that it won't change. Maybe you want the change and it doesn't change fast enough for you. Maybe you don't want the changes but they do happen. Some things are just out of our control!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 AM

613 posts, read 746,516 times
I think you're expecting a little much. Wake Forest is a place to commute from. Strip malls and increasing traffic. Been living in WF 11 years. Our last child has one more year to high school graduation. Then we're moving to North Raleigh or Cary. Whatever WF gets North Raleigh, downtown Raleigh and Cary will have more.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM

342 posts, read 388,229 times
What exactly are you looking for that is not here? I live in WF and think there are a ton of local restaurants as well as some neat stores. All of the chains you mentioned are in Wakefield which I consider Wake Forest for all intents and purposes.

I guess some of it is perspective as well. When we moved to Wake Forest 15 years ago, there was almost nothing that exists today. No Target, Walmart, Hertitage, the Factory, none of the shops at Wakefield. The whole Kohls and Lowes Food Shopping Center didn't exist. No movie theatre. 540 actually only went to Creedmoor at the time. The only thing that existed was the Food Lion Shopping Center, Briggs (which used to be a terrible place called Safari Grill), Mc Donalds and a few places downtown. So to me, there is a TON of restaurant and shopping options.

We actually rarely have to leave and if we do its usually to Triangle Town Center or out to dinner at North Hills area for a big night. Although I totally agree with you on the auto parts store and the dollar tree, I thought that was a TERRIBLE choice and location. But I think its what you are looking for. I have a different opinion than Carlos about it being a place to commute from. I wouldn't want WF to have all the build up of Cary and NR. I like that I can easily get to that IF I want something that is not here, but increasingly everything I need and want is up here.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 11,919 times
It's probably more about what I find disappointing vs what all I'd like to see this way. I had a moment of frustration when I realized they were building that Meineke, next to the Pep Boys, which was built just prior to the AAA Auto Care Center, which was built not that long after the Firestone which is right next to the Merchant Tires, which is directly across the street from the Autozone & Advanced Auto Parts.

But... WF has a tremendous upside as many of you have pointed out, many nice "mom & pop" type places etc.

And... If you need to get your car fixed, or are in need of a car part, you're in luck

Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 AM

23 posts, read 36,607 times
Gateway Commons is also building that animal hospital. That sign had been up since like 2012. I would love a Panera in WF. But I doubt that since there is one off Capital blvd. I do have to say the one thing I did fall in love with is the fact there are alot of local owned businesses. I actually like Britinos. It could just be what I ordered. We do seem to be having a lot more new restaurants coming. Has anyone tried that new spot called My Place? I heard bad things so I am skeptical about spending my money there.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 AM

71 posts, read 180,341 times
We tried My Place a few weeks a go. We probably won't be back. The food left much to be desired. I ordered a grilled chicken cordon blue sandwich. Just grilled chicken, ham and swiss. The ham was so nasty I picked it off, and kicked myself for not ordering the plain grilled chicken sandwich. It seems to me more of a place to sit, drink beer, and watch a game, and order something basic like a burger. I agree with the earlier post on Gonzo Tacos & Tequila. Great place!! The food is outstanding, but not your typical americanized tex-mex mexican food. The mixed drinks are on the high side for this area though.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnuzzo View Post
We tried My Place a few weeks a go. We probably won't be back. The food left much to be desired. I ordered a grilled chicken cordon blue sandwich. Just grilled chicken, ham and swiss. The ham was so nasty I picked it off, and kicked myself for not ordering the plain grilled chicken sandwich. It seems to me more of a place to sit, drink beer, and watch a game, and order something basic like a burger. I agree with the earlier post on Gonzo Tacos & Tequila. Great place!! The food is outstanding, but not your typical americanized tex-mex mexican food. The mixed drinks are on the high side for this area though.
My Place was always a bit hit or miss depending on who was in the kitchen...very inconsistent....but anymore it does seem to be more miss than hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary