U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM

125 posts, read 184,515 times

Advertisements

I know there was a thread on this previously - but it appears it has been closed.

I know someone had considered making a centralized list of adoption agencies, shelters/SPCAs and rescue groups, but I'm not sure if that list was still being made or not.

I am fairly new to the area and unfamiliar with the locations of some of the lesser known agencies. I've been relying on craigslist and the websites for shelters to search for my new companion. However I am noticing that many of the dogs posted on craigslist are large breeds or often aggressive breeds, similar story in the shelter. I'm not a large breed kind of person. Besides living in an apartment wouldn't be fair to some of these large dogs who need more room to roam.

When I lived in Florida, I found my first dog at a garage sale (no lie!), my second dog was found on Craigslist (still going strong, $5000 later but living in Florida under care of his current veterinarian for management of his condition), and now I'm looking for a new companion now that I am here in North Carolina.

Any suggestions on more efficient ways to find my new canine companion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM

65 posts, read 151,053 times
Pet Adoption Agencies :: WRAL.com

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

127 posts, read 336,942 times
www.petfinder.com

search by zip code

Old 02-17-2014, 07:30 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,295,396 times
I volunteered some time ago to put a list together but I found that such a list already exists. The WRAL list is pretty complete. I also suggest Rescueme. org which allows you to be put on alert of specific breeds in any state. I get notices almost every day for breeds i care about in nc plus surrounding states.

Please be aware that some hoarders register as rescue groups for the tax advantage and they have no intention of adopting out animals at all. And some rescues have exhaustive applications which anger and frustrate people who feel they are being asked questions too personal. For every rescue -or at least most- know they will vet you out to a certain degree with permission to contact previous vets and some ask for pre and post adoption home visits. they just want to make sure the animal is going to a good home and won't end up back in rescue again. Good luck.
I adopted a maltese from a SC rescue and they microchipped him with their info instead of mine cause they want the dog to go back to them if something happens. I was impressed with that. The rescue in turn has my information but I guarantee you this dog will not get lost. he is the original Velcro Dog.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 PM

231 posts, read 486,282 times
I adopted my beagle pup from Triangle Beagle Rescue Triangle Beagle Rescue | North Carolina | Put a Little Hound In Your Heart

SPCA of Wake County, Raleigh, NC - SPCA of Wake County is another option

Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,030,909 times
Saving Grace, hands down my favorite. She rescues dogs from kill shelters that receive little foot traffic/attention, as well as puppy mills. She's excellent at matching dogs with people for just the right fit. Her place is on a lot of land, and the dogs are not kept in crates all day; they're able to play and socialize with each other. We got one of our dogs from there four years ago, and I know several others who have adopted from there as well.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 PM

34,845 posts, read 33,671,319 times
Please feel free to offer the OP suggestions as to where to find a pet. Any criticisms of specific agencies should be sent via DM only. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 PM

Thank you all so much. I believe the WRAL list is what I was looking for, hopefully something pans out.

I've filled out 4 applications with 4 different agencies, only to hear NOTHING back. These were NOT short applications and required a brief essay about why I wanted a pet. If I put in all that effort, a simple "thanks but no thanks" email would have been nice. All small breed dogs that I put applications in on, so I'm assuming they were scooped up quickly. Kind of disappointing though when I am looking for a good companion.

Ideally I'm looking for a mini schnauzer if anyone wants to DM specific agencies/rescues/etc that may have a mini schnauzer, that would be much appreciated as well.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM

Side note....I looked at petfinder, found a perfect schnauzer...except he's 10 years old and $400. I could get a puppy for $450, this is why these "rescue" pets don't get adopted. What a shame!

I'd rather spend $100 to adopt him, then the other $300 to spoil him in his final years - with toys and homemade treats.

Off I go to continue my search!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 AM

4,917 posts, read 5,682,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
Ideally I'm looking for a mini schnauzer if anyone wants to DM specific agencies/rescues/etc that may have a mini schnauzer, that would be much appreciated as well.
The SPCA of Wake County has a Wish Book where you can list what kind of dog you are looking for. However, the smaller dogs do often go quickly.

SPCA of Wake County: Frequently Asked Questions - SPCA of Wake County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>