U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 28,945 times

Advertisements

I am a Wake Forest resident with three children. My interest is peaked about the new charter school, Envision Science Academy. Does anyone have any info and/or advise to share about the new school? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 AM

1,924 posts, read 5,571,794 times
I'm wary of any charter school with "Science" in the name. Seems to correlate more with PR and advertising than a teaching philosophy that actually incorporates science.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

302 posts, read 824,852 times
I was interested until I learned their temporary location (taking the place Endeavor currently uses off Six Forks). They said it would be there approx. 2 years. I will admit that is further than I want to travel and I do not consider that "Wake Forest." Their info sessions have been extremely helpful and they seem to have a clear plan unlike the new Wake Forest Charter Academy, also opening this fall.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Default Envision Science Academy

I would not recommend Envision to anyone! Our child attended there for a short time but no longer does. LOTS of problems with the school. Constant staff turnover is the worst---many teachers resigning mid-year and then others being shuffled around from grade to grade to fill gaps.Teachers leave without parents being informed-suddenly there is a new teacher in your child's classroom! In the upper elementary, we went through three math teachers and two ELA teachers in the first 3 months!
The STEAM (Science, Technlogy, Engineering, Art, and Math) component is NOT properly provided. We were especially attracted by the art component, but the art aspect never materialized. Children do get an art special, but it’s really dry and lackluster. For example, instead of a still life being provided for students to paint, they’re given a picture from the internet to copy. Expensive and hard-to-find art supplies mandated by the teacher have yet to be used. There is no technology special at all. Not enough computers for every student to use during project-based learning. There is no technology nor engineering component; in fact there are not even enough IPADs for all the kids to use for projects (and it is a project-based school, so this happens frequently). There is no technology special either, though a few teachers do use technology in teaching, but no more so than in public school.
The administration is very negative and overly focused on discipline. Their first order of business in 2015 was to institute a harsh new student code of conduct---take a look at it on the website! It reads more like a code for an inner-city school in NY than a Science academy in North Raleigh! Administrators are uncaring, uncommunicative, and exhibit blatant disregard for parental concerns. All this aside, a major issue is sloppy record-keeping (lacks proper forms: parents asked to write important documentation on notebook paper; inaccuracies in attendance records: first two months, my child counted present every day despite having 3 absences; suddenly absences began to be recorded in October).
Academics not what is promised. A few excellent teachers can’t make up for the constant disorder from staff turnover, inconsistent application of the curriculum, lack of parent-teacher-student communication. Confusion about the structure of classes, i.e. inconsistencies in which teacher leads which subject on a given day (ex. Social studies, grammar). When my child was absent, makeup work often not provided by teachers (one teacher even gave my child an F for an assignment he missed when out with an excused absence). The project-based component of the school is more confusing than beneficial because teachers do not give proper guidance to students and parents are given little information about what projects students are working on (requirements, rubric, content, etc). Sometimes it felt like parents are not considered partners in the educational process of their own children. We were kept in the dark A LOT.
I'd suggest looking somewhere else for a school for your child!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 5,412 times
Does anyone have an recent info to share on this school and any positive experiences? Thanks!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:58 PM

129 posts, read 159,843 times
I'd also like to know if anyone has updated info. We got an email today that my son got in off the wait list.

TIA!

Old 04-09-2016, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
Nothing positive to say about Envision. Read the review abouve from history mystery buff. Still very high turnover. The teachers they are hiring are awful. None of the classes are full because students keep leaving. We recently left (as did several others I know). All of our kids are behind in math and science. They were all ahead before starting at envision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary