Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 AM

17,815 posts, read 15,467,640 times

Advertisements

I switched back over to TWC for $34.95/month for 12 months, but those idiots started charging me for a leased modem, when I clearly placed an order that specified I have my own modem. Customer (no)Service had to "escalate" the issue and I still haven't heard back, now 3 days later, so I'll have to call again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,959,155 times
Looking forward to Google Fiber setting up shop. Whether or not I can even get it it ought to create some competitive pressure on TWC.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 PM

754 posts, read 1,690,785 times
Hello everyone. Got my SB5101 from Ebay today and it activated/works great. So go ahead and grab one if you're on a Earthlink. Turns out my old modem actually an SB5100 not a SB5120 so it's even older than I thought!

Also, I have yet to receive this price increase letter so I'm going to sit tight until I see an actual bill.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM

9,140 posts, read 14,714,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnk View Post
j-mart77 - I sincerely apologize for the confusion, but I want to assure you that your $41.95/mo rate for EarthLink Powered by Time Warner Cable will NOT be increased. Customers who do not own their modem will see a $5.99/mo internet modem lease fee added to their account though.

I just got the letter today. I am at the 41.99 a month rate and they are jacking it to $58 plus a modem fee. I guess they really are this stupid with Google fiber coming. Or they figure they will get it while they still can.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I just got the letter today. I am at the 41.99 a month rate and they are jacking it to $58 plus a modem fee. I guess they really are this stupid with Google fiber coming. Or they figure they will get it while they still can.
Our rate just went up about $7/month plus they will now be charging a modem rental fee. Time to shop around again. Unfortunately, Uverse does not have service in our neighborhood.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 9,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
When I got home tonight I had a letter from TWC waiting for me. It notified me about my EarthLink Broadband rate increase. I've been with them for nearly 12 years, and it's always been $41.95 per month (except for the first couple of months introductory rate), and will now be $57.99 per month effective on my next billing cycle. Additionally, there will be a $5.99 modem lease fee.

I saw the modem lease fee coming, and was prepared to buy my own anyway, but the 38% increase in monthly rate just hurts.
Nooo! I had the $41.95 rate for years too! And nowhere to go for us that live in the boonies.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,375,983 times
This stinks I finally switch to Earthlink and they are pulling the plug!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 PM

I got my letter today too I just chatted online with Earthlink representative David Rich. Check out my bolded sections. Here is the gist of it:
  1. If you are a real Earthlink customer like I am, and went through the trouble of starting an Earthlink account, the price will remain $41.95. There has always been a discrepancy between TWC's advertised Earthlink price and what Earthlink charges if you have an account through them so this makes sense.
  2. If you don't buy your own modem, there will be a modem fee.
  3. The approved modem list is bunk. I activated a $9 SB5101 just fine over the phone and my SB5100, an older modem that I've had forever and am now returning, would have incurred the fee.

Quote:
aldamon: Hi, I received notification from Time Warner Cable that my Earthlink bill would be increasing from $41.95/mo to $57.99/mo. This doesn't sound right since it's your service not theirs. Is there anything you can do about this?
David Rich: I need to verify your account.
David Rich: Thank you for the verification. I was able to verify your account.
David Rich: The Price for your cable Internet service will remain the same.
David Rich: However you will be getting charged an additional $5.99 / month for an Internet Modem rental.
aldamon: I just activated my own modem so I should be all set soon once I return the old one.
David Rich: Did you buy your own modem?
aldamon: Yes
aldamon: Just haven't driven the old one over to the office yet.
David Rich: Okay.
David Rich: Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable
aldamon: Yes, I have my owned modem activated already.
David Rich: If you have one of the Time warner cable approved modems you will not be charged for the modem.
aldamon: It's running right now.
David Rich: Did you get the chance to read my above statements?
aldamon: Which ones?
aldamon: Did you lock in my price or was the TWC letter in error?
David Rich: If you have one of the Time warner cable approved modems you will not be charged for the modem.
David Rich: Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable
David Rich: You can check for the Time warner cable appreoved modems on the above given link.
aldamon: Why would they have activated a modem that was not approved?
aldamon: The "rented" deactivated modem is not on the list either.
aldamon: They both work fine.
David Rich: Let me check.
aldamon: My previous modem was an SB5100 and owned modem is an SB5101
David Rich: You require a Time warner approved modems because Time warner representative are trained on how to trouble shoot on them Incase there is any Issues with the modem.
David Rich: If you choose to purchase your own modem, the monthly TWC/EarthLink Internet Modem Lease charge will be waived. If you choose to purchase your own modem from the TWC tested and approved list, you can be confident that the equipment will support the current features and speeds provided as part of your Internet package. Keep in mind that one of the risks associated with purchasing your own modem is that it may become obsolete and/or unable to support new features or speeds that may be introduced in the future.
aldamon: Yes, I'm aware I'll need a DOCSIS 3 modem in the future but not for 15/1
aldamon: speeds
David Rich: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
aldamon: Can you confirm that you locked in my $41.95 price or was the letter in error?
aldamon: It's very confusing
David Rich: You cable Internet price will not Increase of now.
aldamon: OK thank you.
David Rich: The Letter was In reference to the charge in the modem lease fee.
David Rich: As you have your own modem you won't be charged for it.
aldamon: The letter said Earthlink was increasing to $57.99 on the back of it in addition to the modem fee.
David Rich: It was for the Time warner customer's.
aldamon: I see. Thank you.
David Rich: You are our Customer.
aldamon: That's it. Thank you for clarifying.
aldamon: Good night
David Rich: We have partnered with Time Warner cable to provide our customer’s with Cable Internet service. When you sign up for cable Internet service through us the price for your Monthly Cable Internet service charge is set by us and not by Time Warner cable. However your cable Internet service billing is handled by Time warner cable. When you sign up through us as an additional feature you get 10 free EarthLink email address as well as 20 hours of free dial up service per month, free technical support through us.

Last edited by aldamon; 03-06-2014 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,375,983 times
Can you delianinate between a "non-real" and a "real" Earthlink customer?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Can you delianinate between a "non-real" and a "real" Earthlink customer?
Years ago I signed up for an account at Earthlink, got the membership packet, Earthlink.net email account etc. and then contacted TWC to get the modem switched over. If you aren't in Earthlink's system as a customer with an account you can use to log in to their Website, it's probably a good idea to contact them and get into the Earthlink system with their prices, according to my chat above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary