Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Refusing would be political suicide. The response from citizens to the area municipalities was overwhelming. They were flooded with emails from the moment it was announced as a possibility. I also have to wonder if this accounts for costs for the permits they will receive.
I agree. They have to do this or doom will reign down on them in a massive wave of social media and pr from the multitudes of tech people that call Cary home. It's an investment in the future of the area. This is a tech center and if Cary wants to continue to be a supplier of suburban domiciles to those that work in RTP, they really don't have a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:20 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
They could always send letters on beige town logo letterhead asking for voluntary increased tax contributions.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:00 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
They could always send letters on beige town logo letterhead asking for voluntary increased tax contributions.

With a nice bold khaki font?

I bow in wonder at your distinguished and sophisticated, suave and debonair, color panache!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I need to look into what having google fiber means for me. I'll admit, I'm kind of ignorant to what the service offers. I don't stream tv shows and am just a casual user of the Internet so I'm not sure how much of an impact it will have for me vs the cost. But I'm curious to learn more about what it will mean once we have it.
NRG,
The internet of the future will enable you to attend meetings around the county, the state, the world even better than today.
Quality improvement and latency reduction in the stream will improve virtual conversation tremendously.
This will be a boon to people who work from home, want to work from home, and don't want to sit in traffic.
It isn't for everyone. If you really can't, or don't want to work from home, that is less of a benefit, but it works for a great many people in the Triangle.

When a guy can upload/download huge files in a blink...
When the wife can do the same thing, at the same time...
While they each stream a bit of music in the background.
And the kids can stream "Frozen" 20 times during Icemaggedon, and in 3 different rooms...
Take a class? Sure.
The Triangle Explorer can ELEVATE! to video-blogging, and post HD video in moments!

No more spinning buffering dial, unless someone's equipment is outdated.
Of course, it means many home networks will require an upgrade in equipment to take advantage of it, but gigabyte routers and switches have been the norm for some time.
I just picked up a few 100mbps switches for the office nearly for free. G/G/M will make them obsolete in the market.

My webhost will update me to 1000mbps port speed at no cost.
Of course, that just means I might hit the limit on the amount of content I can deliver, but 10TB a month should hold me for a while.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I need to look into what having google fiber means for me. I'll admit, I'm kind of ignorant to what the service offers. I don't stream tv shows and am just a casual user of the Internet so I'm not sure how much of an impact it will have for me vs the cost. But I'm curious to learn more about what it will mean once we have it.
Even if you don't take advantage of the gigabyte speed:

1. You pay $25/mo for the first year, then it's hooked up and no more charges for 6(?) more years. So you save money.

2. You have the ability to upgrade later, if you have the need. (If you don't hook up when offered, you may not be able to.)

3. Resale value: It's absolutely a selling point to say your house (assuming you own, don't rent) is google-ready.

I'm similar to you, in that I'm not a heavy user (I stream netflix but that's about it), and my lowest speed TWC works just fine for me, but IMO, it's a no-brainer. My bill will decrease by $15-20/mo for the first year, and then potentially go away after that, and I'll be aligned to expand as increasing internet capabilities dictate. (EG: In a few years, higher speeds will be the new low-end connection.)

oh, and absolutely "GO Cary". Hate all you want, the have proven time and again to be the best run municipality in the triangle, and the best planners.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Yeah I'll have to remember to take a drive through that richly varied Wakefield area.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah I'll have to remember to take a drive through that richly varied Wakefield area.
Oh no you di'int

Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
Title 2 reclassification is FAR from a blip on the radar to current ISPs.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Title 2 reclassification is FAR from a blip on the radar to current ISPs.
What he said. Title II classification is a HUGE deal to ISPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary