Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fds472 View Post
So am I correct in assuming Wake Forest is SOL if (still a big if, I know) this goes through???

I'm not sure how precise the towns they listed are. It seems to follow Interstate 40, from Garner to Chapel Hill.

And I am not sure what percentage of each city will have the possibility of coverage. Or the possibility of coverage in nearby towns.

Like I would think Apex would have a shot of access before the part of Raleigh, north of I-540.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
I'll sign up for the lower speed free internet that they just spoke about on WRAL news.
Congrats?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I was trying really hard to figure out why Google was branching out into the dietary roughage market.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
and on the same day AT&T sent an email saying they were raising the price of my slow DSL for no reason whatsoever.

(Their email really did say "There will be no interruption to your Internet service because of this change, and you will continue to enjoy the same great features, including: " [blank])

Old 02-20-2014, 05:34 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
(Their email really did say "There will be no interruption to your Internet service because of this change, and you will continue to enjoy the same great features, including: " [blank])

There will be no interruption to your Internet service because of this change, and you will continue to enjoy the same great features, including:repeated price hikes for as long as we can get away with it.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
There will be no interruption to your Internet service because of this change, and you will continue to enjoy the same great features, including:repeated price hikes for as long as we can get away with it.

Yeah Shells, you really need to switch over to TWC. They don't bother you with pesky things like rate increases and notice of other changes. Full-on customer service, their rate hikes are transparent. [edit: The sarcasm was directed at TWC, not at any posters here....]

I so hope the Google Fiber goes through. I'm not a huge consumer of high-speed and band-width, so the $300, one-time fee (for at least 7 years) would be great for me.

It got me wondering though, I wonder what the product life cycle is? I wonder if 1Gb/sec will be enough in say 5, maybe 10 years? I wonder if wired service will even be in existence? Kinda thinking along the lines of an adapted Moore's Law kinda of theory...

Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Honestly, unless the FCC frees up a ton of spectrum, I don't see wireless service taking over completely. There is just not enough available bandwidth to service everyone. Especially as more and more people consume video and other high bandwidth services. Plus Google, Time Warner, etc still need to deliver cable service, which in spite of "cord cutting" I just don't see going away in the next 15 years, they will still get their money's worth out of the install.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Yeah Shells, you really need to switch over to TWC. They don't bother you with pesky things like rate increases and notice of other changes. Full-on customer service, their rate hikes are transparent. [edit: The sarcasm was directed at TWC, not at any posters here....]

I so hope the Google Fiber goes through. I'm not a huge consumer of high-speed and band-width, so the $300, one-time fee (for at least 7 years) would be great for me.

It got me wondering though, I wonder what the product life cycle is? I wonder if 1Gb/sec will be enough in say 5, maybe 10 years? I wonder if wired service will even be in existence? Kinda thinking along the lines of an adapted Moore's Law kinda of theory...
The only rate is $70 for 1gbps, feel its kind of high. Would be nice if they offered just $50

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Everyone go fill out the form on the fiber website. Would be nice to end the monopoly TWC has here.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Instead of waiting on yet another company to take advantage of us, why not spend our efforts lobbying the legislature to overturn the law prohibiting cities from implementing their own fiber network (such as Wilson's Greenlight network)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary