Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

They're also paying money for a land lease to all these cities and towns. It's not a huge amount but from what I've read it's a pretty typical rate for these types of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:36 PM

166 posts, read 163,095 times
Just an interesting observation - Cary has more responses in this poll than Raleigh even though the population of Raleigh is about 3x the size of Cary.

Not that this in itself means anything, poll data can be pretty elusive. For example it could mean that in general, current non-fiber offerings in the Raleigh area are meeting customers expectations well enough that they aren't sure if they want/need fiber versus a higher level of frustration with current ISP service in Cary, or any number of other influential factors.

I've noticed something in the social media communities I administer: the search for meaningful poll data is pretty much pointless, because the forum itself almost never represents an unbiased segment of society. Forums tend to become influenced by a vocal minority who either have more free time on their hands than others (thus participate more in forum conversations than alternate uses of time, such as work / hobbies/ family time or whatever) or some similar factor.

I think it would be difficult to design a poll to accurately gauge interest in Google fiber, because how interested someone is will ultimately depend on cost of service, privacy concerns (having Google deeply embedded in our lives is a little scary), reliability, customer service, etc.

Surely if people were asked "would you like a much faster Internet connection if it didn't cost you any more money, privacy or other headaches", most would say "sure".

If we follow that with "what if the service were so good, it eliminated all other ISPs such that competition no longer existed and Google's motivation to play nicely and cost effectively disappeared?", then some folks might start scratching their heads.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I'm in Raleigh and will definitely be signing up when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary