Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM

449 posts, read 697,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Instead of waiting on yet another company to take advantage of us, why not spend our efforts lobbying the legislature to overturn the law prohibiting cities from implementing their own fiber network (such as Wilson's Greenlight network)?
The current group, with a majority not afraid to flaunt their shameless idiocy wants to curtail municipalities' ability to determine zoning laws, redistrict-- er-- I mean gerrymander the Wake county school district, and other moves that really reflect their respect for local control. /sarcasm

In light of this I believe it's impossible to initiate your suggestion. At least until things possibly change in November. Maybe get folks to include this in their campaigns?

But with Big Telecom one of the largest contributors to the GA here and many other states I'm not so sure we'd see a good result even then

The FCC, on the other hand announced yesterday they're going to try and overturn those state bans at the Federal level. Funny that it may take the Feds to give us back some local control...

Stay tuned and be ready to chime in when they call for public comments.

Last edited by weblackey; 02-20-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 PM

9,128 posts, read 14,681,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
The current group, with a majority not afraid to flaunt their shameless idiocy wants to curtail municipalities' ability to determine zoning laws, redistrict-- er-- I mean gerrymander the Wake county school district, and other moves that really reflect on their respect for local control. /sarcasm

In light of this I believe it's impossible to initiate your suggestion. At least until things possibly change in November. Maybe get folks to include this in their campaigns?

But with Big Telecom one of the largest contributors to the GA here and many other states I'm not so sure we'd see a good result even then

The FCC, on the other hand announced yesterday they're going to try and overturn those state bans at the Federal level. Funny that it may take the Feds to give us back some local control...

Stay tuned and be ready to chime in when they call for public comments.

Well, to be honest, the ban on Municipal fiber, which was implemented by the legislature when it was controlled by Democrats should be opposed, but this is much more likely to happen and sooner, because it really does not matter if they are Democrat or Republican, they all seen to turn out pretty similar on these issues, since they are getting money from the incumbent companies.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I recognize that. Big Money is non-partisan. But the current bunch is so much more in-your-face about nullifying local prerogatives if they don't agree with them... I mean, what business do they have changing the mechanics of ONE school district's elections?

My point is that the possibility of rescinding the ban on municipalities setting up broadband service when the private sector won't do it has even less of a chance of passing right now. I guess it's a matter of one side doing Big Telecom's bidding, and the other side doing Big Telecom's bidding and having no respect whatsoever for what locals vote for in their own towns.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,226,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Instead of waiting on yet another company to take advantage of us, why not spend our efforts lobbying the legislature to overturn the law prohibiting cities from implementing their own fiber network (such as Wilson's Greenlight network)?
I am not up to speed. Did the GA enact this law after/because of Greenlight? Does it keep the local government from owning it? Or could there be a "public utility" for the internet?

Like the power and water in Greenville is owned by Greenville Utilities, almost a quasi-governmental agency. Could they provide the infrastructure and not be against this law?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:10 PM

It doesn't affect Greenlight iirc. Just says no one else can do it essentially.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,945,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, to be honest, the ban on Municipal fiber, which was implemented by the legislature when it was controlled by Democrats should be opposed, but this is much more likely to happen and sooner, because it really does not matter if they are Democrat or Republican, they all seen to turn out pretty similar on these issues, since they are getting money from the incumbent companies.
The bill passed in 2011, when the GA was controlled by the Republicans.
In the house Republicans voted 65-0 for the bill, Democrats voted 19-32 against.
In the senate Republicans voted 29-2 for the bill, Democrats voted 10-8 for.
Perdue did not sign it or veto it, although had she vetoed it votes were sufficient for an override, even if all democrats switched their votes to against.

Make no mistake it was an overwhelmingly Republican bill.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM

Default Thank you for the details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
In the house Republicans voted 65-0 for the bill, Democrats voted 19-32 against.
Perdue did not sign it or veto it, although had she vetoed it votes were sufficient for an override, even if all democrats switched their votes to against.

Appreciate the facts.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post

Ah, I had forgotten that the Republicans had gotten the house and senate while Perdue was still in office. Wonder why she did not veto it?

As far as Google Fiber, evidently, Google had already approached the various municipalities and begun preliminary discussions prior to the public announcement this week. I would still say that if you want it, let your council representatives know.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM

4,296 posts, read 5,949,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Ah, I had forgotten that the Republicans had gotten the house and senate while Perdue was still in office. Wonder why she did not veto it?
Her public statement at the time:

Quote:
I believe that every school, household and business in North Carolina – no matter where they are – should have access to efficient and affordable broadband services.

There is a need to establish rules to prevent cities and towns from having an unfair advantage over providers in the private sector. My concern with House Bill 129 is that the restrictions the General Assembly has imposed on cities and towns who want to offer broadband services may have the effect of decreasing the number of choices available to their citizens.

For these reasons, I will neither sign nor veto this bill. Instead, I call on the General Assembly to revisit this issue and adopt rules that not only promote fairness but also allow for the greatest number of high quality and affordable broadband options for consumers.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Exclamation Sign up for the Google Fiber Updates!

You are asked to enter your address when doing so, then you get the status of Google Fiber in your area. Which now says they're examining our area for their next wave.

I just got an email from them with information to forward to others letting them know they can find out more about the proposed rollout. Which means despite the fact that Google has already been talking to the cities concerned, they're still looking at how the populace may support this.

Everyone in my address book knows I don't forward just any ol' thing, so I'm going to do a tasteful yet persuasive (hopefully) BCC email to my local contacts... I hope many of you can do so too.

https://fiber.google.com/other/

Apologies for my unbridled enthusiasm for this project, it's a result of my unbridled disgust of the dysfunctional monopolies that now exist in the telecommunications area and elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary