Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times

Advertisements

The last day to go is today Sunday, December 2nd, 4-8pm. If you go, wrap yourself in your warmest stuff possible b/c it gets FREEZING at night. You have to buy your tickets when you get there. They are $5 per child if you want them to see Santa, and then each adult pays $1 to go on the train, and $1 if they want to ride the carousel alone (ie. not holding onto a child). There are several little parking lots near the Pullen Park entrance that people were walking from or you may get lucky and snag a better spot. As you come in the ticket counters are straight ahead. The carousel is to the left and the train line is to your right. I would head straight to the train line, and as soon as you get off the train get in the line for the Santa tent.

And go earlier than we did. We got there at 6pm and by then the wait in line was one hour o.0 There was at least entertainment much of the way. A magician was set up on one side, and there was a stage on the other with a variety of performers - cheerleaders, dancers, an Elvis impersonator, etc. Closer to the train there is a playground the kids can play at within view of the line.

The Santa Train ride itself was great. You start off going through a long tunnel which had everyone whooping and hollering, and then there are holiday lighted characters to see along the sides of the track, and occasionally volunteers waving green lights and yelling "Merry Christmas!". The tracks sometimes go over bridges.

Then in the Santa tent you are asked if you want your children's pictures taken together or separately. We went with separately. The man playing Santa is AMAZING. He looks exactly like what you'd expect Santa to look like. I almost believed he WAS Santa he was that good. He had the kindest sweetest face and eyes I've ever seen. It was obvious he loved children and he was so patient with them. He never once looked tired or annoyed like some "Santas" do. He even took time with my 1yo asking him what he wanted for Christmas and asking him if he'd been a good boy and pretending to listen like our baby was talking to him. The photos all came out great, and you have an opportunity to buy additional photos if you'd like while there. One photo per child is included in the ticket purchase.

Then there are some crafts set up - the one I saw was making Gingerbread houses with graham cookie sheets, frosting, and candies. And there is a boat ride as well.

GO!! It's totally worth it Just make sure you are extra extra bundled. Go all out. Cover every inch of your body possible in warm stuff and you'll have an amazing time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Wow, the k-i-d in me would love this! Thanks for the post, Indigo. Pullen Park is a lovely place to go.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
We saw an older couple there who were on the carousel with us and they were giggling about how they were the only ones there without children It was definitely a lot of fun

Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
The last day to go is today Sunday, December 2nd, 4-8pm. If you go, wrap yourself in your warmest stuff possible b/c it gets FREEZING at night. You have to buy your tickets when you get there. They are $5 per child if you want them to see Santa, and then each adult pays $1 to go on the train, and $1 if they want to ride the carousel alone (ie. not holding onto a child). There are several little parking lots near the Pullen Park entrance that people were walking from or you may get lucky and snag a better spot. As you come in the ticket counters are straight ahead. The carousel is to the left and the train line is to your right. I would head straight to the train line, and as soon as you get off the train get in the line for the Santa tent.

And go earlier than we did. We got there at 6pm and by then the wait in line was one hour o.0 There was at least entertainment much of the way. A magician was set up on one side, and there was a stage on the other with a variety of performers - cheerleaders, dancers, an Elvis impersonator, etc. Closer to the train there is a playground the kids can play at within view of the line.

The Santa Train ride itself was great. You start off going through a long tunnel which had everyone whooping and hollering, and then there are holiday lighted characters to see along the sides of the track, and occasionally volunteers waving green lights and yelling "Merry Christmas!". The tracks sometimes go over bridges.

Then in the Santa tent you are asked if you want your children's pictures taken together or separately. We went with separately. The man playing Santa is AMAZING. He looks exactly like what you'd expect Santa to look like. I almost believed he WAS Santa he was that good. He had the kindest sweetest face and eyes I've ever seen. It was obvious he loved children and he was so patient with them. He never once looked tired or annoyed like some "Santas" do. He even took time with my 1yo asking him what he wanted for Christmas and asking him if he'd been a good boy and pretending to listen like our baby was talking to him. The photos all came out great, and you have an opportunity to buy additional photos if you'd like while there. One photo per child is included in the ticket purchase.

Then there are some crafts set up - the one I saw was making Gingerbread houses with graham cookie sheets, frosting, and candies. And there is a boat ride as well.

GO!! It's totally worth it Just make sure you are extra extra bundled. Go all out. Cover every inch of your body possible in warm stuff and you'll have an amazing time!
Oh, geez! We picked the Durham Christmas Parade over doing this! I had a feeling we should have done Pullen Park over the Christmas Parade. But we were just at Pullen Park last weekend.

I doubt we make it today. But it will go on the list for next year!!
I'm glad your family enjoyed it. And thanks for sharing!!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
I can't understand why these Santa events end so early! It's only Dec. 2nd--why wouldn't the Santa Train continue through the month?? Please don't tell me because it gets too cold--I would have to laugh in your general direction...

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I can't understand why these Santa events end so early! It's only Dec. 2nd--why wouldn't the Santa Train continue through the month?? Please don't tell me because it gets too cold--I would have to laugh in your general direction...
I'm pretty sure this is the first year Pullen Park has done anything like this. I've read other places that they have been surprised at the response and that they plan to do it for two weekends next year.

The Museum of Life & Science Santa train is every weekend in December (though it is now sold out) and the New Hope Valley Railway Santa train is for two weekends. New Hope Valley Railway & NC Railroad Museum New Hope Valley Railway usually only operates one day a month at the beginning of the month (first Sunday). I'm sure that staffing is a challenge for them and for all of these.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
I was at Pullen Park tonight and as the carousel ended the operator said "see you next spring" and a light bulb went on. The Pullen Park amusements usually close from the end of November through March. So this event is an extension of the season for them, and going further into December would be even more of an extension that they hadn't planned on.

It was a nice event, though crazy crowded. I imagine they will plan for something bigger next year.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
Went and it was totally worth the $5 per person ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary