Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,010 times

Advertisements

I'll cut to the chase - the food at the Pit was AWFUL. I dined here recently with a large group of co-workers, and the consensus across the table was that of utter disappointment.

All the filets were severely overcooked, each rack of baby back ribs was tasteless and impossible to cut, the mac n' cheese was completely flavorless, the mashed potatoes tasted like instant potatoes out of the box.... the only decent part of the meal was the collard greens. It's hard to mess up that, but then again, before I ate here I also thought it was hard to mess up mac n' cheese...

The manager was very embarrassed and apologetic about the poor food quality, so hopefully they will make the necessary changes to improve the quality of their entrees.

Because, honestly, at this price point, diners expect MUCH more than The Pit is delivering.

Nana is rolling in her grave.... this place was SO much better as Nana's Chophouse. The owners went very wrong switching the menu to barbeque. I really hope they turn it around because this place was a great place to dine before it became The Pit(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 PM

403 posts, read 929,728 times
^^
Sorry to hear that. I went with the chopped whole hog, which was out of this world. The collards and cornbread were spot on. Can't speak to ribs, but I'll remember not to try those.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,764 times
Q-Shack?

Where is it? I'm absolutely dyin' for good brisket.

I tried Danny's BBQ in Cary this weekend. Big mistake. It was awful.

Hmmm. Google maps says it is 1,386 miles to my favorite BBQ place...

That said, I do like the "sides" with Carolina BBQ. Fried okra --yes!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 AM

35 posts, read 237,782 times
I agree, we went on Thursday and this place won't last if they don't turn it up a notch. The sides were dry and devoid of flavor. The chopped hog had a greasy quality to it and had so much vinegar and spices that you couldn't taste the meat. The brisket didn't have any smokey flavor. The pulled pork was Ok, but that is because they couldn't drown it in vinegar.

The server didn't know what the differences were between the chopped and pulled pork, thought both potato salads were the same except for the potatos used - they were like night and day, one vinegar base and the other mayo based, and in the end brought the wrong sides to the table.

For $60 bucks I was expecting a dinner that is out of this world, yet this was like barbeque from the mall.

Very disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldTraveler42 View Post
I'll cut to the chase - the food at the Pit was AWFUL. I dined here recently with a large group of co-workers, and the consensus across the table was that of utter disappointment.

All the filets were severely overcooked, each rack of baby back ribs was tasteless and impossible to cut, the mac n' cheese was completely flavorless, the mashed potatoes tasted like instant potatoes out of the box.... the only decent part of the meal was the collard greens. It's hard to mess up that, but then again, before I ate here I also thought it was hard to mess up mac n' cheese...

The manager was very embarrassed and apologetic about the poor food quality, so hopefully they will make the necessary changes to improve the quality of their entrees.

Because, honestly, at this price point, diners expect MUCH more than The Pit is delivering.

Nana is rolling in her grave.... this place was SO much better as Nana's Chophouse. The owners went very wrong switching the menu to barbeque. I really hope they turn it around because this place was a great place to dine before it became The Pit(s).

Old 02-16-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,608 times
Unhappy awful pit -the pit bbq

we ate there on Friday and We gave it two thumbs down! Service was terrible, food was cold and tasteless, drinks ran dry..several times. Had to beg for hush puppies and they were burned on the outdside and raw on the inside...I mean how hard is it to cook a puppy? Our watier was unable to answer questions regarding the menu and never came back to check on us after it was served. Step it up -or you are not going to make it.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Judging by the last 3 posts it sounds like this place mirrors Hideaway BBQ. I ate there 3 times. I didn't care for it the first time but went back twice just to reassure myself that it wouldn't last long. I was right. Hideaway BBQ is now closed and for sale with rumors of it becoming a strip club. I guess I'll have to try The Pit also. I have a strange feeling that it's not going to last either. If it doesn't sell NC style chopped bbq with a vinegar sauce then they can hang it up.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM

189 posts, read 753,628 times
If you are willing to drive, try the Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy. 54 in southern Durham. It is a family owned hole-in-the wall, specializing in Southern style pit BBQ. Its self identified goal is to veer away from commercial style cooking and make food like "grandma." I can tell you, my grandma never made food like this! And she was a good cook (just not conversant with BBQ). The hushpuppies alone are worth it...crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, with a subtle hint of onion. Be forewarned it's closed on weekends and doesn't sell alcohol.

The Q Shack, farther north in Durham specializes in Texas style BBQ. It's pretty good, too.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM

403 posts, read 929,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Judging by the last 3 posts it sounds like this place mirrors Hideaway BBQ. I ate there 3 times. I didn't care for it the first time but went back twice just to reassure myself that it wouldn't last long. I was right. Hideaway BBQ is now closed and for sale with rumors of it becoming a strip club. I guess I'll have to try The Pit also. I have a strange feeling that it's not going to last either. If it doesn't sell NC style chopped bbq with a vinegar sauce then they can hang it up.

No--it's definitely NC style bbq. Chopped whole hog is the way to go.

Here's a really good national food blog that features this place (and some cool pics). I returned recently and thought it was outstanding once again.

Moderator cut: url removed

Last edited by autumngal; 04-15-2008 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: no blogs please, use dm

Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,361 times
Just tried "The Pit" last night and everything was great. Good service, Great food.
The two of us had a cup of the Manhattan chowder, Very Tasty, and then split a Whole Hog platter. More then enough for two, and with a drink ( wine, beer) a piece then bill was $30. Not bad for a mid-week night out.

Highly recommended

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,864 times
$12 for fried chicken? That's some high falutin' chicken they've got there.

If I'm downtown and want barbecue, it's Clyde Cooper's, baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary