Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
What would you say are the best public schools for elementary and middle school that parents really want to send their children to in that area?
All of them . Really, they all score pretty well. There aren't any "bad" schools in the district. That's another thing that makes the CHCCS district attractive for new families. They don't have to worry about being zoned for the best school. They're all good. So you can just find the neighborhood that you like the best and go from there. Some of the buildings are older and some are newer, so if that's a consideration you could look at that, but we have been pleased with our kids' experiences at one of the oldest elementary school buildings in the district at Carrboro Elementary.

A private school will usually give you a little more flexibility, maybe a little more one on one, a smaller atmosphere, and a more affluent, less diverse, student body. I don't think any of them are academically superior to the best public schools in our area.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-21-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,007 times
Hi,
I am British and moved to Chapel Hill area last year. I have 1 child in Chapel Hill public school system and 1 that is possibly moving to DA. I am not sure how you do the direct message thing but am happy to talk to you in depth about differences between the English educational system and the Chapel Hill public one. We bought a house in the Weaver Dairy area for convenience to the schools but if you're sure you are going the private school route then you don't want to be in Chapel Hill due the high property taxes. There are some great properties near DA or if you are happy with more remote (and larger lots) then there are plenty over the city line north of Chapel Hill and you can take the back route to DA rather than the much busier 15-501.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
FTR, I have several British friends. I know one who lives in Durham. Her kids go to Central Park School for Children and one of the new DPSS magnets, School for Creative Studies. I have a British friend who lives in Carrboro and her kids go to CHCCS schools. She is also an early education teacher. I have a British friend whose son is homeschooled and whose step-kids go to CHCCS.

I have known several graduates of DA. I don't happen to know anyone who sends their kids there currently, but it does have a good reputation. I do know folks who send their kids to Carolina Friends, St Thomas More (Catholic school), Montessori Community School, Emerson Waldorf, Lerner Jewish Day School and Woods Charter School.

If money is no object and DA is where you want to send the kids, then live in Chapel Hill, but you can buy more house for your money in Durham.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,007 times
I agree - there are a lot of different educational options in the area and what suits one family will not suit another which is why it's great to speak to as many different people as you can before making any decisions. I certainly wish I'd had the opportunity to do that before moving. Thanks for your DM, unfortunately as I am a new user the system will not allow me to send more than 1 DM in a day. Not sure if there's a way round that one? If not and if you're happy to DM me a standard email address I can contact you that way. I know how daunting an international move with kids can be having done it last year. On the upside, we love living in Chapel Hill and have found the people exceptionally friendly and welcoming!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 AM

104 posts, read 271,580 times
You might consider Hope Valley or New Hope Valley in Durham. Lots of children in these neighborhoods go to DA. I have a British friend whose son just graduated from DA. She lives in Colvard Farms in Durham, which has new homes. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary