Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times

Advertisements

Well and that's a deeper subject than I can possible answer here
but here goes.

Awoke to no water, few drips and sprinkles and a 2 cup
pot of coffee. YIKES!
Checked all the normal check list kind of things, water anywhere
from broken pipe? Well circuit breaker on? etc., etc., Excedrin!

Problem identified. Pipes out at the well head froze up. Not busted
thanks be to H2O and its freezing point!

Procrastinated and even thought about next move. Decided to call
plumber. Plumber came said pipes frozen. Cover them up to let them thaw out and give it a shot. I'll be back ot see how you make out.
But also had me shut the well pump off
so it did not burn out! So helpful hint for those with well pumps. If
no water and frozen pipes is suspected turn the well pump off. Immediately if not sooner!

Waited, waited, waited, stood outside and waited, to cold came
inside and waited. Back out side threw ball to dog, dog fetched ball,
dog looked deep into my eyes and through animal telepathy told me,
to cold to play catch, so back inside. waited, waited, waited.

Tried pump again no water. Drat! Drat! Drain-oh??? Naw!

So I could wait no longer for nature to un freeze pipes. Obtained
a couple of pipe wrenched, some Teflon tape, long, longer, and a
longest extension cords and set out for my quest! TO FREE MY
WATER PUMP FROM DR. FREEZE! I knew this was no job for the
faint hearted or a Joker or two and I didn't even have Alfred to assist.

Took off this large concrete top that I think an Olympian weight lifter
would strain himself moving. Remove the round concrete pipe around the
well head. Who developed these things, the ones that think up the things
that the World's Strongest Man Competion uses? Back inside for a stronger belt as I surely felt a hernia coming on.

Loosened nut on pipe and low and behold froze water in pipe. My water from from well look like a clear freeze pop. Hands starting to get numb but knew I must push on, well at least melt on! Hooked up blow dryer, nice hair aparatus by day and pipe unfreeze by night! It blew and it blew, turned to wards my hands from time to time to at least keep enough blood flowing threw my fingers so I could hold the blow dryer. Water started to flow from the pipe. It was music to my ears....but with the big wool hat on it was more like dripping cold water in my now soak en sneakers!

After about 20 minutes of blow dryer and chipping out the ice like
Edward Scissor hand is to hedges I was done! Now for the journey back
to the house to turn the pump on. That was no small 'feet' being its
about 150 yards away. Who put this well so far away? Were they
marathon runners and 150 yards away is like going from your front door to
your back door? T.G oodness I don't smoke or I would need oxygen to
go between the well and the house.

But onward and westward! Put all the pipes back together, a quick
prayer, faced East, and headed back to the house to turn the pump on
once again. Entered house, tracked mud into the kitchen (DRAT),
turn facet on and after a few puffs and spits of air, wallah water,
water spewed from my facet into the sink! My trusted dog watched
me every step of the way and he too saw the water flowing from the
facet and ever so lovingly he looked at me and in that split second I could read his mind.
He's thinking, "Hey they are not blaming me for carting this mud inside!"

But all is right with the world, water is flowing. In fact it is dripping all
night into the sink so it does not freeze again. But I did insulated the
living dead out of the well head pipes. This plumber wanna be was not
born yesterday!

Oh yea the plumber called back and asked how it was going.........I said
great just great!

So if you have a well please let your water drip or make sure your outside pipes are insulated!

Happy almost over Friday!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM

415 posts, read 972,317 times
Wow that sounds like a Daily chore for me. Cept I haul water daily just for the Horses.

Glad ya got yer water flowing again though. Come on up to SD anytime (with yer hair dryer of course)

Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 AM

30 posts, read 113,363 times
r u serious?lol

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidd View Post
r u serious?lol
As serious as the deep freeze that hit the east coast! Frozen well head pipes. But last 2 days after insulation the living dead out of them no more frozen pipes! Thanks be to fiberglass!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
ahhhh, that was my Friday!!! Except I had to go to work and by the time I came home it had thawed. DH & I insulated with an old blanket. Apparently the blanket that WAS in there was removed sometime when we were having work done and has mysteriously disappeared. My well is about 150 feet from the house too. We are planning to have a direct line run from the well to the house this summer (pressure issues) at which point I will have an outlet installed so we can put a little space heater out there.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
As serious as the deep freeze that hit the east coast! Frozen well head pipes. But last 2 days after insulation the living dead out of them no more frozen pipes! Thanks be to fiberglass!

Dansdrive-
I've had the lights on in our pump house the past five days and counting now w/ this cold snap... has kept the water flowing good on the coldest mornings. Just that lil bit of heat (and insulation in the 'house) keeps it above pipe-freeze temp even on the coldest mornings. Glad you've got those pipes real snug now. Reminds me of my concern that our irrigation system back-flow pipes would freeze on rare cold nights when we lived in Florida: I wrapped those suckers so tight in foam insulation, worried as all heck they'd freeze. Never did. Snugging those pipes up does the trick.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 PM

59 posts, read 149,253 times
I absolutely love Dan's humor!
I know the look in a dog's eyes, and grew up being told to leave the faucets dripping!
I've used a hair drier and utilized a light bulb, under the house.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! Been through it every winter. Welcome to the joys of home ownership and having a well. Hope you don't experience another similar experience, and glad we have such a rich local resource for well owners. This is a great site for advice from locals who have been there and done that--and with this weather? All experienced voices are a blessing to our newcomers.

One thing about North Carolinians: we can weather a storm, even though people elsewhere don't think we encounter weather.

And we share. We help our neighbors. It renews my faith in mankind and Southern hospitality.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM

48 posts, read 178,526 times
LOL we bury our pipes 4' down to avoid the frost. Y'all mind if I move down to NC and join ya? I'll bring my heat gun

Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
ahhhh, that was my Friday!!! Except I had to go to work and by the time I came home it had thawed. DH & I insulated with an old blanket. Apparently the blanket that WAS in there was removed sometime when we were having work done and has mysteriously disappeared. My well is about 150 feet from the house too. We are planning to have a direct line run from the well to the house this summer (pressure issues) at which point I will have an outlet installed so we can put a little space heater out there.

Glad yours thawed out on its own! But you gave me an excellent idea and that is to install a receptacle out at the well head so I don't have to find the longest extension in the free world to plug the blow dryer into! Thanks!!!!

P.S. If we live in the free world how come everything cost so much???
But that a whole new thread!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nurse 2 View Post
I absolutely love Dan's humor!
I know the look in a dog's eyes, and grew up being told to leave the faucets dripping!
I've used a hair drier and utilized a light bulb, under the house.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! Been through it every winter. Welcome to the joys of home ownership and having a well. Hope you don't experience another similar experience, and glad we have such a rich local resource for well owners. This is a great site for advice from locals who have been there and done that--and with this weather? All experienced voices are a blessing to our newcomers.

One thing about North Carolinians: we can weather a storm, even though people elsewhere don't think we encounter weather.

And we share. We help our neighbors. It renews my faith in mankind and Southern hospitality.
Old Nurse 2 thanks! And your comments are very 'well' said!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary