Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM

67 posts, read 119,186 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are looking into relocating to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill from North Jersey. I know that you've heard this before and I'm sorry. We will be bringing our 18 year old son who wishes to attend Culinary Arts school.

Our questions for you - please keep in mind that we seek something upscale and not . . .

1. We plan to rent an apartment first prior to purchasing a home. Any suggestions on a 2-3 bedroom apartment - minimum $1500 a month?

2. We are government employees (Durham Veterans Administration), we wish to keep our commute as short as possible.

3. How is public transportation? Our son will be taking PT to school.

4. What is the job market like for an 18 year old?

5. I've read some great things about Durham/Cary - I'm not familiar with Cary. How's living there. My husband and I are movie/park walking/ outdoorsy types.

6. Anything that you wish to anwer that I did not ask because we do not know the area.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Seriously? I am sorry but I do not believe we have "African American Upscale Neighborhoods " in the triangle area. Our upscale residential areas in the Triangle are integrated. Or maybe your thread topic should be revised.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
I don't know about that. I see quite a lot of European-American Upscale Neighborhoods around Chapel Hill. It's a fair question.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I don't know of any upscale neighborhoods that are primarily African American, either, but I might just not know. I'm white, but have lived around here a long time. Durham does have a high Af-Am population (almost 50%, I believe — just checked city data says 40% black to 37% white) and a strong history of a thriving black middle class along with a HCBU in NC Central. The Hayti (Hay-Tie, with a long I sound, not haiti) Heritage center is in Durham ABOUT US | . There are some sketchy areas around in Durham (and Raleigh), too, so be aware of that when you're looking.

Cary is very suburban feeling. Very clean, low crime. Plenty of greenways. There is a big Indian (asian) pop in Cary and Morrisville.

Durham is a fantastic foodie town and has a great creative vibe. It's got a little more grit and urban feeling, too. And of course is home to Duke, as well as NC Central. Plenty of greenways and parks in Durham also. Just had a friend post about taking a 20 mile bike ride down the American Tobacco Trail in Durham.

You might look in south west Durham near Southpoint. Quite a bit of newer construction down there.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-24-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 47,651 times
Something I've noticed in Raleigh is in the warmer weather when I bike around Lake Shelley there is a sizable black middle class outdoors enjoying the sunshine and exercise. I assume a lot of these families to be nearby residents to the Lake. That is an assumption so take it for what it is worth. But maybe that helps. Also the public bus system does come to Lake Shelly and has a park-and-ride at this site.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Where is your son going to school? Public transport between cities is not great. Some cities have better bus systems than others.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM

Bluecomet - please accept my apologies. I did not mean any harm.
I'm not familiar with the area and wish to offer my sincere apologies.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:47 PM

Poppydog, we have to find a school for him. A community college with a culinary program would be great.
I'm great at research. However, it is much better when the answes come directly from those that live in the area.

Pencilrepairman - I will check those areas out.

Anyone - how is apartment living?

Thank you

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM

Check out Durham Tech and Wake Tech for the community colleges. I don't know if they have culinary programs, but those are the two big community colleges in the area. Durham is a great food town.

There are some nice apartments by Southpoint. Might be worth checking those out, too.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violamr View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I are looking into relocating to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill from North Jersey. I know that you've heard this before and I'm sorry. We will be bringing our 18 year old son who wishes to attend Culinary Arts school.

Our questions for you - please keep in mind that we seek something upscale and not . . .

1. We plan to rent an apartment first prior to purchasing a home. Any suggestions on a 2-3 bedroom apartment - minimum $1500 a month?

2. We are government employees (Durham Veterans Administration), we wish to keep our commute as short as possible.

3. How is public transportation? Our son will be taking PT to school.

4. What is the job market like for an 18 year old?

5. I've read some great things about Durham/Cary - I'm not familiar with Cary. How's living there. My husband and I are movie/park walking/ outdoorsy types.

6. Anything that you wish to anwer that I did not ask because we do not know the area.

Thank you
Do you really think it's still segregated here? Wow.

There are plenty of upscale areas, but I would first find out where you son will be going to school before picking one. You aren't going to want to live in Cary if he needs to take a bus to Durham Tech (which does have culinary arts, but I do not know how respected a program it is).

If your son is going to need public transportation for schooling, you are going to want to look mostly at Durham and Chapel Hill, as they have the best bus systems. Durham will have the most job opportunities, mostly because it's larger, and not solely a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary