Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,220,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Huh. I drop in Randy's once in a while to see what the appeal is, and it's always wretched.

But Barbeque. I've tried that at a couple of places and to me it just seems like oatmeal, except made from meat.
Clearly your tastebuds are currupted. Your opinion is not valid. (Totally said in the spirit of joking.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM

13,627 posts, read 12,250,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Clearly your tastebuds are currupted. Your opinion is not valid. (Totally said in the spirit of joking.)
Or you aren't loading up on the sauce...

Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,657,844 times
Quote:
Huh. I drop in Randy's once in a while to see what the appeal is, and it's always wretched.
Floppy, thin -- fold it, let the oil drip off, then enjoy. Some sprinkle hot pepper flakes onto it. What's wretched about that?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
My two cents as a former Jersey/NYC resident, pizza in North Carolina can never be like the pizza in NYC. I could walk down Broadway and grab a slice (for sometimes as little as 99 cents) from one of the many Pizzerias and it'd probably be on par or better than the best "NY Style pizza" places in NC.

That being said, Randy's is okay. A slice of Pizza in Brier Creek is not bad either. Tony's Pizza near Carmax off of Glenwood in North Raleigh is not terrible either.
But the logic isn't there to support what you're saying. A very high percentage of the pizza places in the Triangle are owned and operated by the exact same people who sell those slices on Broadway (and really, never on the main avenues but usually on the cross streets). They use the same exact recipe, the same ingredients and pretty much the same equipment to bake everything; how can it not be the same finished product? And please, no arguments about the water, there's almost none in a slice of pizza.

Quote:

But Barbeque. I've tried that at a couple of places and to me it just seems like oatmeal, except made from meat.
Wretched? Every time? How do you feel about Papa John's or Domino's?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,220,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Floppy, thin -- fold it, let the oil drip off, then enjoy. Some sprinkle hot pepper flakes onto it. What's wretched about that?
Tru dat! The poseurs can be spotted, they "dab".

(In a boring conference call all day, nothing better to do than quibble about Pizza)

Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM

38 posts, read 58,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
But the logic isn't there to support what you're saying. A very high percentage of the pizza places in the Triangle are owned and operated by the exact same people who sell those slices on Broadway (and really, never on the main avenues but usually on the cross streets). They use the same exact recipe, the same ingredients and pretty much the same equipment to bake everything; how can it not be the same finished product? And please, no arguments about the water, there's almost none in a slice of pizza.

I don't think water has anything to do with it personally but some folks think it's the water. Can't imagine that being the difference.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,320,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayStart View Post
I don't think water has anything to do with it personally but some folks think it's the water. Can't imagine that being the difference.
I have heard that some people feel atmosphere is a part of good BBQ, I have heard the same said for deli. I wonder if it is the same for pizza for some people - that even if it is made the same it will not taste the same without the same atmosphere. Not sure..

Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,539,418 times
Quote:

I thought the same about Randy's when I used to get slices - then I ordered a large pie with extra cheese. The angels sang.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 PM

595 posts, read 672,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

I am not back in NC yet, so take my opinion with a grain of garlic salt or a dash of red pepper flakes. I fully endorse the concept that in general the best pizza is here in NJ/NY. But it's not the exclusive domain of good pizza. There's certainly some lousy pizza places up here too. Plenty of them! My office in fact is surrounded by them. I think it has more to do with the difference in population density than anything else. Without trying too hard, I can list over 20 pizza joints within a 2-3 miles of my house in northern NJ. And this only includes the independent pizza places. (I refuse to count pizza hut, dominos, papa johns or anything like that. They're just downright horrible.) Of those 20, I have 2-3 favorites, but there are also several that I will never go back to because the pizza is mediocre at best. If the guy who runs the mediocre shop moves to NC, he will serve mediocre pizza. If one of my favorites were to move down there, he'd continue to make great pie. I have family in Richmond, they're lucky and they have a really good place nearby her home. Is it better then my favorite local place up here, no. Is it better than the mediocre places up here, heck yea. They could move their shop up here and still do great business.The pizza shop per square mile density in the Triangle cannot compare. So sure, it's a little harder to find.

Sometimes it comes down to the individual making the pizza. My go-to pizza place opened a year or so ago and is a 2 block walk from my house. It's excellent, not the best, but you can't beat the convenience. About 2 months ago the guy who made the pizzas Wed through Saturday left. The new guy has been getting better but disappointing. This is not an ownership change, he is just an individual employee. He does not make the dough, he does not choose the suppliers. So even though it's the same dough, the same cheese, the same sauce, the same pepperoni, it's not the same pizza. The new guy is steadily improving, so I think it will work out, but I was very close to switching my pizza loyalty. The place we used to go to for years was kind of the same. There was one guy who made amazing pizza. But if it was a Sunday-Tuesday and we craved pizza, we went to a different place. The other guy was terrible. There was nothing more disappointing than going to pick up the pizza on a Friday night and finding out the good guy was on vacation. Eventually the good guy left and opened his own place. Unfortunately, it was too far away. And by too far, I mean he moved 7 miles away. Due to the pizza density factor, I have no reason to travel that far.

Once we move, I will miss the convenience of tripping over pizza places where ever I go. I will be bummed that I might have to travel farther to find that elusive great pie. But the end of the day, it's just pizza.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,917,551 times
Michealengo's at Carolina Beach is the only NC pizza that I've found that can hold a candle to any of the pizza joints on Center Street in West Roxbury MA. It has something to do with the differences in water between the north and the South.

Randy's on Miami is pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary