Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 AM

48 posts, read 128,332 times

Advertisements

Did anyone go to any of the info sessions? What did you think? I went last night. There were a ton a people there-and there defiantly was some good info.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,977,922 times
I just found out about it last week, but wasn't able to make it to the info session. I really wanted to go. I did view the online video though. Was there a lot of information in the session that wasn't in the video? Any insight you can provide would be great. I'm thinking about switching my youngest daughter (she'd be in 4th grade next year). Feel free to post here or DM me.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM

75 posts, read 172,817 times
Where will it be based in Cary?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 PM

4,292 posts, read 5,939,826 times
Harrison and Maynard...technically St. Charles Place, that street that cuts around the SE corner behind Bank of America. Still doing ground work on the site..hope they can get it done in time for the school year.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM

48 posts, read 128,332 times
It is supposed to be done by July they said last night. The 3rd year they will start the high school. The info was good-I am thinking of submitting my daughter's application. She will be in 1st. They do a lot of data driven child specific instruction. Overall I thought it was a lot of good info. Let me know if you have any questions-they may have gone over it last night. It was general but there was a Q & A at the end.

Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,453,436 times
This is one of the problems with large corporations like this one getting into the business of education. My husband just filled out an application for a job at the school. Once the application was completed he was asked several dozen personal questions about whether he had received food stamps, been on unemployment, was a veteran, had a disability, was an ethnic minority, etc., etc., etc. Hiring decisions at this school will not be made based on the most qualified candidates. They will be made based on which candidates will get the corporation the most government kickbacks. I can't even understand how it is legal to ask all those personal questions in a job application.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,660,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
This is one of the problems with large corporations like this one getting into the business of education. My husband just filled out an application for a job at the school. Once the application was completed he was asked several dozen personal questions about whether he had received food stamps, been on unemployment, was a veteran, had a disability, was an ethnic minority, etc., etc., etc. Hiring decisions at this school will not be made based on the most qualified candidates. They will be made based on which candidates will get the corporation the most government kickbacks. I can't even understand how it is legal to ask all those personal questions in a job application.
I was just going to ask who was running this school and what their motives are. Not all charter schools are equal, and many have hidden agendas that need to be looked at to see if one is comfortable with them.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkmom View Post
It is supposed to be done by July they said last night. The 3rd year they will start the high school. The info was good-I am thinking of submitting my daughter's application. She will be in 1st. They do a lot of data driven child specific instruction. Overall I thought it was a lot of good info. Let me know if you have any questions-they may have gone over it last night. It was general but there was a Q & A at the end.

Thanks!!
Thanks! Unless I'm misunderstanding the charter school process, it can't hurt to submit an application. It's not like magnet schools, where if you get in, you give up your space in your base school, right? Do you know if there will be an opportunity to tour the school or meet the administration prior to confirming attendance (if you get in)?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I was just going to ask who was running this school and what their motives are. Not all charter schools are equal, and many have hidden agendas that need to be looked at to see if one is comfortable with them.
Looks like it's a not-for-profit board driving the overall vision, and they hired a professional company to manage operations...

Quote:
Triangle Charter Education Association
The Triangle Charter Education Association (TCEA) is a North Carolina not-for-profit entity organized exclusively for educational purposes and is comprised of respected leaders in the state of North Carolina that are committed to providing high quality educational options for the citizens of this State. TCEA is the Founding Board for Cardinal Charter Academy.

The Board of Directors is responsible for developing and outlining the mission, vision, and values of the school and developing the appropriate policies to ensure those fundamentals are maintained. The Triangle Charter Education Association Board of Directors has contracted with a professional education management organization, Charter Schools USA, to provide all necessary management and professional expertise. Charter Schools USA assists in developing, planning, and marketing the School, as well as finance, human resources, curricula and school operations. Charter Schools USA is responsible for developing and implementing the ongoing operational procedures in accordance with the mission, vision, and values outlined by the Governing Board.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,320,633 times
Did they say anything about class sizes during the Q and A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary