Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM

906 posts, read 2,378,554 times

Advertisements

We noticed a HUGE jump in the price of milk when we moved here from the midwest. That was in 1998 and I don't know how the prices compare now, but back then it was a shocker.

I really love living here, but I will list a couple of things besides the schools,

Not many food delivery places, and even fewer that have late night hours
No fresh polish sausage (whole foods has some, but its just not the same)
Lack of butcher shops in the area. Out here, pork is king rather than beef in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 03:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,288,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
No fresh polish sausage (whole foods has some, but its just not the same)
Lack of butcher shops in the area. Out here, pork is king rather than beef in the midwest.
I do miss fresh polish sausage too ("we're talkin' fresh, not smoked" as comedian Bonnie Hunt would say) coming from Chicago and being part Polish myself! I was surprised and thrilled to find some at Costco in Durham that's actually pretty good. And fresh market now carries pierogi's from a place in Chicago. Nothing like a good Polish meal!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:09 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,850,406 times
Produce is more expensive in NC because of the lack of large produce distributors in the northeast that have huge economies of scale. NY & Baltimore have a lot of huge distributors and Northern VA is very lucky to benefit from the great prices as a result. This is most evident when visiting the asian supermarkets.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:09 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,464,442 times
Smile NJ Markets

the markets are in Passaic county:
Corrado's in clifton, and they are opening up a new location in Wayne

and Market 46--my personal favorite!! they have everything--including flowers. you can get roses in a vase for $25.
that one is on rt 46 E in Totowa

also in Paterson, what my family fondly calls the "old market". it is located in South Paterson, and its a bunch of small markets where you can find anything and everything including sea food and international foods.

i hope you get to shop--do some shopping for me

Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM

906 posts, read 2,378,554 times
Hula--I'm half polish and my mom's family is from the old Polish area of Chicago. I'll have to look for the sausage at Fresh Market. I found a polish grocery store on Atlantic Springs but they didn't have fresh sausage. They had frozen pierogi though.

Mrs. T's pierogi are decent enough, but they don't carry the sauerkraut ones down here. Those are my favorite!

I haven't tried J Betski's yet, but I've been wanting to. Its down by Peace College and I've heard its good food and reasonably priced.

Oh, and thanks for the pierogi at Costco tip. I might have to renew my membership at the one in Raleigh. :-)

Last edited by raleighjayne; 12-03-2007 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
I couldn't possibly come up with 10 reasons, and suggest most folks offer subjective personal reasons.
I mean, give me back my parents, and I'll pop back to PA in a NY minute...

I like it here.

So I offer up:
One from the CD Archives.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 109,891 times
Default Bugs?

I saw snakes mentioned; what about bugs? Are there any really overbearing bug types in the area? Maryland has crickets, Texas has cockroaches, NC has ???

Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 PM

16 posts, read 78,332 times
Default Mine

Schools
Too many people
Crime
Traffic
Taxes
Grocery Prices
Drought
I could only come up with seven but that's enough for me. The top 3 being the worst.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,464,442 times
NC has roaches and a bug i had never seen in NJ--a cricket spider--use your imagination, spider that jumps--at you. not fun. honestly, i had never been around roaches before and up north they are a sign of filth. here they are a sign that somewhere near you they are breaking ground and building. luckily i havent had to live with any, but i have seen them all over the place in new constructions--a real turn off. add to that lizards walking by you.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,650,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAre View Post
I saw snakes mentioned; what about bugs? Are there any really overbearing bug types in the area? Maryland has crickets, Texas has cockroaches, NC has ???
A little bit of everything....the edge of the fire ant spread (though I've only seen one nest outside and it was outside the Triangle...I am told they are here.)

I guess it depends where you are from....I think the bugs down here are....well....pretty non-existant overall...certainly not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary