Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM

698 posts, read 959,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
When I first infiltrated the Raleigh area from NJ, some 23 plus years ago, I was a PITA comparing "up north" to "down here". That was until one of my co-workers screamed out, "You can run your azz right back up north quick as you ran it down here".

Well I declare, bless my heart and have mercy on my soul, I've been as genteel as a lamb since then.
Where is that ROFL emoticon when you need it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM

38 posts, read 58,912 times
I believe my wife and I are ready for something different then the rude behavior and aggressive attitude we get here in NYC. We are looking forward to a new beginning in Wake Forest. I know we will adjust to the friendly waves. We have enjoyed our numerous visits and the hospitality we have experienced.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayStart View Post
I believe my wife and I are ready for something different then the rude behavior and aggressive attitude we get here in NYC. We are looking forward to a new beginning in Wake Forest. I know we will adjust to the friendly waves. We have enjoyed our numerous visits and the hospitality we have experienced.
The friendly waves are lovey - I was completely taken aback when I first encountered it.

Fortunately, the anti-NYer sentiments expressed in this thread are not generally spoken to one's face; that's not the southern way.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM

226 posts, read 506,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have heard it said that people get annoyed that Southerners aren't "genuinely nice." As in, they'll act nice enough around you, but they might talk about you behind your back.

Well... I know that might be true, but I've always felt that I'd rather have pleasantries with strangers than have them scowling at me, so what they think when I'm not standing in front of them anymore (about me, I mean) is TOTALLY irrelevant to me.
I don't think being two-faced is unique to the South.

Oftentimes I do find Southerners will be friendly but keep you at a distance until they get to know you better. Given the former ruralness of much of the South, wariness of "strangers" is part of the culture.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM

379 posts, read 579,965 times
Wait. Jersey/NYC folks are rude? Get out of here. How did this thread make it this far? This has to be a rumor.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,370 times
Thanks Meh

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Thanks Meh
You're welcome.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
My biggest pet peeve of this area....There have been countless times when I was backing out of a parking spot and a car coming down the lane passed behind my car instead of stopping and waiting, as is the protocol.
That's the protocol? News to me. I thought cars backing out were supposed to wait until it was clear.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
That's the protocol? News to me. I thought cars backing out were supposed to wait until it was clear.
Yeah. That's how everyone I know does it.

Except at Brier Creek. Poorly designed.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM

218 posts, read 287,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

Are you purposely being daft? I am talking about when it is clear and you are halfway pulled out of a parking spot and someone comes flying down the lane and swerves around you.

If I turn down a lane and a car is already backing out of a spot, I stop and wait. I do not swerve around it. And yes, that is the protocol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary