Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times

Advertisements

Wake superintendent reveals proposed 2014-15 budget

Wake superintendent reveals proposed 2014-15 budget - Local News - Raleigh, NC | NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Our elementary school is capped and our overflow was a 30-45 minute bus ride each way.
For folks that have kids that ride the bus, how long is your typical bus ride?

My kids have rarely ridden the bus. My older daughter is in a charter and I drive her. Since younger daughter's school is right on the way to older daughter's school I just drive her, too. Her elementary school is about 1.5 - 2 miles away from our house. It takes me about 5-7 minutes to drive, but on the occasions when she has ridden the bus it usually takes about 30 minutes because of all the stops. I think our neighborhood is the last stop for the bus.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
We knew it was a possibility when we bought so it wasn't a surprise. As a public school product it pains me to say we are going private because the uncertainty in wake is hard to take. We are hoping our base opens next year and we can get back in for 1st grade.
was one of your options also capped?

if you moved into Lacy ... which IIRC was a consideration ... then you could have gone to Stough. I thought all the schools had > 1 overflow school choice? Just not calendar.

Plus, I am guessing that you moved after the normal enrollment period? Did they cap out a rising K?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
The overflow schools can be a mixed bag I think. I'm moving this summer and stayed away from Holly Springs (which is where we wanted to live) because all the schools are capped, and the overflow options are all in Fuquay Varina. In other areas the overflow options may be totally acceptable, though -- here is a list of capped schools and their overflows for next year:

http://www.wcpss.net/about-us/our-le...nt-capping.pdf

Can someone speak a little more to the capped school situation vs a "full" or over capacity school? It is my understanding that if a school is full, meaning, over capacity, but NOT capped, your child will still get a seat at this school if it is your base school. Is this correct? It follows that the only reason your child could not attend your base school is if that school is officially capped. Can someone verify and/or clarify this for me please?

Thank you!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Can someone speak a little more to the capped school situation vs a "full" or over capacity school? It is my understanding that if a school is full, meaning, over capacity, but NOT capped, your child will still get a seat at this school if it is your base school. Is this correct? It follows that the only reason your child could not attend your base school is if that school is officially capped. Can someone verify and/or clarify this for me please?

Thank you!
Yes, you should be guaranteed a seat in your base school unless it is officially capped.

Quote:
From the WCPSS website:

Capped schools
In some cases, a school may be 'capped', meaning the school has reached the maximum number of students.

For the current school year (2013-14), the following schools are capped:

Capped Elementary Schools: Brooks, Cedar Fork, Farmington Woods, Fuller, Hilburn Drive (K-5), Holly Grove, Hunter, Joyner, Lacy, Mills Park, Underwood, Walnut Creek and Wiley.
Capped High Schools: Apex High, Garner High, Heritage High, Holly Springs High

For the 2014-15 school year, the following schools are capped:

Capped Elementary Schools: Alston Ridge, Brooks, Cedar Forks, Combs, Green, Hodge Road, Holly Grove, Holly Ridge, Holly Springs, Hunter, Jones Dairy, Lacy, Leesville Road, Forest Pines, Mills Park, North Ridge, Walnut Creek
Capped Middle Schools: Mills Park Middle
Capped High Schools: Apex High, Holly Springs High
If a student's assigned school is 'capped', they will be offered a choice of overflow schools. Contact Student Assignment or your base school with questions.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,918,785 times
They are supposed to release results of transfer requests today, but I have no idea how to find out the results. Anyone know?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM

Does anyone know when the transfer request results will be available today?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,918,785 times
Just got an email from our 2nd choice transfer, so I guess that answers that question?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 AM

105 posts, read 155,895 times
Transfer request and early calendar results are there... Thanks God we get into our calendar option. What about you?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 AM

We only chose one transfer option and are on the waitlist at the #2 position. I had applied for my rising 3rd grader and my rising kindergartener. In the meantime, my rising kindergartener was accepted through the lottery to Sterling, so I don't need to keep him on the waitlist for our transfer request.

My question... can I remove rising K student from the wait list and not affect my older child's position on the waitlist, or are they grouped together in this #2 position? And then, how do I remove rising K student altogether since he will be going to a charter school? And finally, will removing him hurt or help my older child's chances of being accepted into transfer request school?

I can't get a real person on the line at the office of student assignment. The menu simply directs me to our current assigned school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary