Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
- Wegmans
Won't happen.

Quote:
- IKEA
Won't happen.

Quote:
- In&Out Burger
Won't happen.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
There is Briggs too.
Seaboard and Briggs are great, but they're hardware stores. I'm talking Lowes or Home Depot. I miss the Builder's Square that used to be at Wake Forest and Six Forks.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Won't happen.

Won't happen.

Won't happen.
Which is why I noted they were not options for the OP. There have been many threads here on why those businesses are desired here, as well as why they will not be coming here in the near term.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If that is the case, how come they never seem to make it...and even NY'ers don't agree on what a 'good' one is.

Maybe not you don't have to be from NY, but from a marketing standpoint most are not going to probably seek one out unless it was very near where they live....and even then....NY 'deli' isn't a go to for most people in the area when they want to go out.
Their success may have had more to to with their own shortcomings. Perhaps they provided a sub par product. Perhaps they just didn't know how to run a business. Maybe it was a lousy location. It doesn't necessarily reflect whether or not people want that sort of business.

I would seek out a NY style deli. I'm not from NY, but I've been to enough delis to know how awesome they are! If there were one in a central location with a lot of trafficm I'm sure it would do well.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Their success may have had more to to with their own shortcomings. Perhaps they provided a sub par product. Perhaps they just didn't know how to run a business. Maybe it was a lousy location. It doesn't necessarily reflect whether or not people want that sort of business.

I would seek out a NY style deli. I'm not from NY, but I've been to enough delis to know how awesome they are! If there were one in a central location with a lot of trafficm I'm sure it would do well.
Agreed.

Or perhaps they didn't understand their customer base. Much like all the yammering about Pizza, and "it isn't like it was at home", the same is true for running a business. In NYC (I believe NYers are largely polite) people are a little more direct, and to the point. "Get things done, get em in, get em out". This is the south, and things go just a bit slower.

I think a good NY deli, with excellent and friendly service, and maybe even an offering of Pecan Pie, or (gasp) jelly available for your bagel, would do well. And yes, even though it's a NY Deli, you'd be well advised to have sweet-tea on hand at all times.

[FYI, I would never disgrace a bagel with jelly, but the point is you need to know your customer base.]

So, in keeping true to the OP, here is a business that might fly:

Bubba Goldstein's Deli and BBQ house:

Serving house cured meats, house smoked Pastrami, NC Style BBQ and the best Matzo Ball Soup you ever tasted....

Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agreed.

Or perhaps they didn't understand their customer base. Much like all the yammering about Pizza, and "it isn't like it was at home", the same is true for running a business. In NYC (I believe NYers are largely polite) people are a little more direct, and to the point. "Get things done, get em in, get em out". This is the south, and things go just a bit slower.

I think a good NY deli, with excellent and friendly service, and maybe even an offering of Pecan Pie, or (gasp) jelly available for your bagel, would do well. And yes, even though it's a NY Deli, you'd be well advised to have sweet-tea on hand at all times.

[FYI, I would never disgrace a bagel with jelly, but the point is you need to know your customer base.]

So, in keeping true to the OP, here is a business that might fly:

Bubba Goldstein's Deli and BBQ house:

Serving house cured meats, house smoked Pastrami, NC Style BBQ and the best Matzo Ball Soup you ever tasted...
There's something somewhat close to that - no Matzo Ball Soup...but Sympathy for the Deli is pretty darned good.

Quote:
Sympathy for the Deli is a mobile deli serving sandwiches made with locally-sourced, sustainable meats, all hand-cured, roasted, and smoked in Durham, NC by SFTD.
The truck started rolling around the Triangle area in April 2012. Follow us on facebook or twitter to find us to find out where we’ll be serving up Sympathy next!
See our catering menu to turn a sandwich into a banquet.
I'm not going to lie, I'm borderline addicted to his BLTs.

Quote:
DELI SANDWICHES
All sandwiches made with locally-sourced, sustainable, & organic meats, hand-cured, roasted, & smoked by SFTD in Durham, NC. Our sandwiches are served on freshly baked Guglhupf bread.

Pastrami on rye: SFTD Pastrami with locally-made Two Pounds Mustard on grilled rye – $8.25 Reuben: SFTD Pastrami with melted Swiss and house made ‘kraut and Russian dressing on grilled rye – $8.75
French Dip”less”: SFTD roast beef, melted Swiss & caramelized onions on an au jus-soaked baguette – $7.50
Smoked Turkey: SFTD smoked turkey with herb mayo, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, onions and Swiss on sourdough – $7.50 (served hot or cold)
Turkey Reuben: SFTD smoked turkey with melted Swiss and house made ‘kraut, topped with Russian dressing on grilled rye – $8.25
Grilled Caprese: (*seasonal) Local heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, balsamic reduction, on grilled rustic house – $7.50

DELI SPECIALS - available depending on season and/or supply
BLT: SFTD herb & pepper bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, and herb mayo spread on grilled rustic sourdough – $7.50
Rosemary-Mustard Chicken: STFD roasted chicken thighs, melted provolone, grilled mini sweet peppers, with rosemary and Two Pounds Mustard dressing on rustic sourdough – $7.50
Pulled Pork BBQ: SFTD pulled pork drenched in a Memphis-style sauce, mozzarella, and sliced jalapenos on ciabatta – $7.50
Roasted Beets: roasted beets, caramelized onions, fresh lettuce, topped with a balsamic mustard dressing on rustic sourdough – $6.00
Veggie: generous spread of hummus, tatziki, LTO on rustic sourdough - $6.50

Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agreed.

I don't think a true NY deli like you would find in NYC is not going to do well here for the reason you mentioned. It is about getting people in/out quick. Everyone is in a rush, it is not about rudeness - people are in a hurry. At the Stage Door downtown, you get in line order your breakfast sandwich in the back. They will cook it by the time you get to the front of the line and will throw it (literally) to the person up front who is getting your coffee. Another person rings you up. Not much time for pleasantries in this scenario. So I agree for a NY deli to succeed here, they would need to change this style and slow it down and yes add some things like sweet tea for the masses. But then would they still appeal to all those saying they want a NY style deli since in essence they would no longer be one?

A kosher deli and an Italian deli are different. They are essentially specialty food stores and need to be in a central location to draw enough people daily to sustain their business. This is tough since we are so spread out here.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
A cat only Vet is needed in this part of town. Only other ones I'm aware of are west Cary and west Raleigh. Most cats are hell to transport so something less than 40 min. would be great! I've been surprised that there aren't many vets with separate waiting rooms for cats. I had one cat that was so traumatized between the drive and being surrounded by dogs in the waiting area that the vet couldn't even examine him - turned into Cujo!
Same thing with my cat, which is why I use a mobile vet now. Google Mobile Vet Raleigh and several will pop up. Mine even offers the option of a little sleeping gas so now my cat can actually be examined fully instead of a rush to stick her with the required shots.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned but another Krispy Kreme like the one downtown (where they actually make the donuts on a conveyer belt) -- we could use about 5 more of those!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
I like pie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary