U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
 
36 posts, read 61,874 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, i know there are several places but just need recommendations if someone could help..thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2014, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Apex NC, the Peak of Good Loving.
1,623 posts, read 2,239,460 times
Reputation: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2001 View Post
any suggestions are greatly appreciated, i know there are several places but just need recommendations if someone could help..thanks
Try nearby thrift stores, Goodwill etc. They often have BMX bikes for $20 and less. Some are used, some abused, and a few are positively beautiful. Shop carefully and you may find that cream-puff bargain!

.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
 
Location: NC
10,003 posts, read 6,800,847 times
Reputation: 10338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2001 View Post
"quality"

Craigslist if you know bikes.

I "think" that some of the bikeshops sell used bikes too. I think there is (or was?) a bmx specific place in Apex at one time. Not sure if still there, and also All-Star in Cary used to sell some BMX stuff.

I'm more of a mountainbike and roadbike guy, so I can only help so much.

Also, FYI there is a BMX track at Lion's Park in DT Raleigh. They have weekly races on Sunday, I think. All run by what seems to be a local club. They might be able to direct you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM
 
2,464 posts, read 3,832,112 times
Reputation: 2338
What are you looking for? A decent race bike, a freestyle bike, or simply a neighborhood cruiser? I think that quesstion is very important. Not all BMX bikes are the same. And they don't all fit little kids either. I worked in a bike shop, and one of the biggest misconceptions people have is that 20" BMX bikes are made for little kids. Most are actually made for teenaged to adult sized riders. Once I explained this to people, and showed them the differences, it started making sense.

If you want a decent bike, you're going to find Craigslist is your best bet. Thrift stores are going to have junk, as will pawn shops, etc. You can buy a cheap new bike for the same price as a pawn shop, from Kmart or Toys-R-Us.

Even the higher end companies like GT, Redline, etc make cheap bikes. So be careful even when shopping used.

I'll be glad to help you, if you have more questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
 
510 posts, read 808,126 times
Reputation: 547
All-star in Cary....or craigslist
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,538 posts, read 5,118,761 times
Reputation: 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
What are you looking for? A decent race bike, a freestyle bike, or simply a neighborhood cruiser? I think that quesstion is very important. Not all BMX bikes are the same. And they don't all fit little kids either. I worked in a bike shop, and one of the biggest misconceptions people have is that 20" BMX bikes are made for little kids. Most are actually made for teenaged to adult sized riders. Once I explained this to people, and showed them the differences, it started making sense.

If you want a decent bike, you're going to find Craigslist is your best bet. Thrift stores are going to have junk, as will pawn shops, etc. You can buy a cheap new bike for the same price as a pawn shop, from Kmart or Toys-R-Us.

Even the higher end companies like GT, Redline, etc make cheap bikes. So be careful even when shopping used.

I'll be glad to help you, if you have more questions.
My boys, ages 6, 9 and 12 were just introduced to the bmx track by a friend a few weeks ago and they would all like bikes. They have cheap target bikes right now that are all in various stages of disrepair and the little guy has outgrown his and can't use it at all. So at the very least I have to buy a new bike for the younger guy to ride at home. Can you recommend a shop that can give me some advice on what to buy, entry level price?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:11 PM
 
621 posts, read 910,412 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I'll be glad to help you, if you have more questions.
Is there such a thing as a light mountain bike (a bike to go cycling in the woods)? I bought one at Wal Mart and one at CSH (Trek) and they both seem heavy. Any recommendations for a light weight under $400 mountain bike for a middle schooler and an adult? TIA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:26 PM
 
563 posts, read 570,383 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Is there such a thing as a light mountain bike (a bike to go cycling in the woods)? I bought one at Wal Mart and one at CSH (Trek) and they both seem heavy. Any recommendations for a light weight under $400 mountain bike for a middle schooler and an adult? TIA.
I don't think you're going to find a light bike at that price point. When I went mountain bike shopping a few years ago, it become quickly obvious to me that as a bike gets lighter, so does the price. As I waited in a bike shop one day while getting some service done, I looked at this Trek that was well over $5k. I made a comment to the salesguy at my astonishment of the price and he simply replied, "Pick it up." I was stunned that I could pick the entire bike up with a single finger. Sadly, I wheeled my heavy bike out to my car and lifted it onto the bike rack with both arms.

I'd recommend finding some mountain bike forums(try http://forums.mtbr.com/) and asking for recommendations on the lightest bike for the money in your price range. I'm sure someone over there has already done all the comparisons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Cary
2,850 posts, read 4,226,145 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Is there such a thing as a light mountain bike (a bike to go cycling in the woods)? I bought one at Wal Mart and one at CSH (Trek) and they both seem heavy. Any recommendations for a light weight under $400 mountain bike for a middle schooler and an adult? TIA.
Yes. I bought a used Gary Fisher and my wife bought a used Stump Jumper. Both of these are lighter than my 9 year old kids' Specialized bikes. Paid $125 and $100 respectively and they are the nicest bikes we've owned. I bought them from people at work that ride enough to warrant upgrades every few years and got great deals. Check out Craigslist or the classifieds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
 
563 posts, read 570,383 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Yes. I bought a used Gary Fisher and my wife bought a used Stump Jumper. Both of these are lighter than my 9 year old kids' Specialized bikes. Paid $125 and $100 respectively and they are the nicest bikes we've owned. I bought them from people at work that ride enough to warrant upgrades every few years and got great deals. Check out Craigslist or the classifieds.
+1

Yea, I should have mentioned in my prior post, used is the way to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top