Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,416,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Apparently everyone but Lowes sells it!
Pretty much! I've never NOT seen Harp somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,186,592 times
Ridgewood Wine & Beer, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Bottle Revolution and possibly Food Lion should all carry Harp...

Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM

544 posts, read 849,643 times
If you are looking for Harp and you are a fan, but haven't had it in a while, you will be sorely disappointed. The stuff in the grocery stores is brewed in Canada and doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

Same thing with my old favorite Bass Ale -- now brewed in Baldwinsville, NY. It doesn't even taste remotely like it used to. It's truly bad.

+1 on checking Total Wine. They have a section of bottles and cans that you can purchase individually. The most obscure stuff I've seen since the old day of 7 Even on Peace St.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,416,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
If you are looking for Harp and you are a fan, but haven't had it in a while, you will be sorely disappointed. The stuff in the grocery stores is brewed in Canada and doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

Same thing with my old favorite Bass Ale -- now brewed in Baldwinsville, NY. It doesn't even taste remotely like it used to. It's truly bad.

+1 on checking Total Wine. They have a section of bottles and cans that you can purchase individually. The most obscure stuff I've seen since the old day of 7 Even on Peace St.
If you think Total Wine has "the most obscure stuff" around clearly you need to get out more and visit Bottle Revolution, Tasty Beverage, BottleMixx, Sam's Quik Shop, and/or Beer Study.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM

11,193 posts, read 8,229,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
If you think Total Wine has "the most obscure stuff" around clearly you need to get out more and visit Bottle Revolution, Tasty Beverage, BottleMixx, Sam's Quik Shop, and/or Beer Study.
Totally agree. I've been to the bolded places. There is also Triangle Wine at Davis and McCrimmon. Not quite the same atmosphere, but IMO a better selection. (And always some good, obscure drafts on tap.)

And of course, if you want to do research, try Flying Saucer...

Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM

5,730 posts, read 17,542,074 times
+1 for Triangle Wine in Morrisville. They are very supportive of the local homebrew club and let us meet there for free each month. They even helped us put on a fundraiser for a fellow member who had an accident and was paralyzed.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM

487 posts, read 888,977 times
Total Wine has a surprisingly good selection of foreign beers. The hipster beer shops just seem to focus on the same old over-hopped over-fruity over-alcoholic American microbrew ales. If you want something actually Irish (and not 'Irish'), total wine or harris teeter or maybe a southern season is likely your best bet.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:52 PM

5,730 posts, read 17,542,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
The hipster beer shops just seem to focus on the same old over-hopped over-fruity over-alcoholic American microbrew ales. If you want something actually Irish (and not 'Irish'), total wine or harris teeter or maybe a southern season is likely your best bet.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM

11,193 posts, read 8,229,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Agreed. I don't think that opinion was formed by actually going in those stores. They have all the over-hopped, over-fruity hipster beers AND beers from around the world.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 PM

487 posts, read 888,977 times
You might be right, but as someone from NW Europe who has tried to find beers from home when I'm feeling nostalgic, I have actually had better luck in the more mainstream places like total wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary