Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 31,350 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all those that helped give me some advice on areas to check out a couple months back. My husband and I visited the area at the end of January and loved it, and have decided to relocate sometime around October.

We really liked the Clayton area, particularly the Flowers Plantation development and surrounding communities. I liked that the area was quiet and less busy than other areas I drove through. The house prices were also very appealing and much lower than other areas we're considering, like Cary and Apex.

After mentioning that we liked Clayton to some of my husband's coworkers who live in Raleigh, we were warned away from Clayton and other areas saying that we should stay away from anywhere in the 1 o'clock to 6 o'clock region if Raleigh were a clock face. I assume this is based on personal preference and that Clayton just has less in the way of stores and restaurants compared to other areas? I didn't notice anything untoward about it? The schools seem great, although I believe the taxes are slightly higher?

One other thing I'm considering is the new highway to complete the outer loop of I-540 that is proposed to be added in upcoming years. I understand the route is not finalized and construction is a ways off, but I'm wondering if buying in Clayton now would be wiser than buying a home in Cary or Apex because of lower current prices and the fact that when that road is finished home values should appreciate in Clayton? Would the interstate expansion dramatically cut down the commute time to RTP?

Sorry if this is confused or jumbled up. My husband will be working in downtown, but he wants to be open to changing jobs later on which would likely mean finding something in the RTP area. While Clayton would work now for a downtown commute, a commute to RTP is further than he or I want, which is why we're also considering Cary or Apex despite the fact we will get far less house/land than we'd ideally want, and that we could get in Clayton.

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons and figure out the best option. We'll rent for 6 months or so before we buy, but we'd like to rent in the area we'll eventually buy/build in.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,076,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla_diyer View Post
Thanks to all those that helped give me some advice on areas to check out a couple months back. My husband and I visited the area at the end of January and loved it, and have decided to relocate sometime around October.

We really liked the Clayton area, particularly the Flowers Plantation development and surrounding communities. I liked that the area was quiet and less busy than other areas I drove through. The house prices were also very appealing and much lower than other areas we're considering, like Cary and Apex.

After mentioning that we liked Clayton to some of my husband's coworkers who live in Raleigh, we were warned away from Clayton and other areas saying that we should stay away from anywhere in the 1 o'clock to 6 o'clock region if Raleigh were a clock face. I assume this is based on personal preference and that Clayton just has less in the way of stores and restaurants compared to other areas? I didn't notice anything untoward about it? The schools seem great, although I believe the taxes are slightly higher?

One other thing I'm considering is the new highway to complete the outer loop of I-540 that is proposed to be added in upcoming years. I understand the route is not finalized and construction is a ways off, but I'm wondering if buying in Clayton now would be wiser than buying a home in Cary or Apex because of lower current prices and the fact that when that road is finished home values should appreciate in Clayton? Would the interstate expansion dramatically cut down the commute time to RTP?

Sorry if this is confused or jumbled up. My husband will be working in downtown, but he wants to be open to changing jobs later on which would likely mean finding something in the RTP area. While Clayton would work now for a downtown commute, a commute to RTP is further than he or I want, which is why we're also considering Cary or Apex despite the fact we will get far less house/land than we'd ideally want, and that we could get in Clayton.

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons and figure out the best option. We'll rent for 6 months or so before we buy, but we'd like to rent in the area we'll eventually buy/build in.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
What do you REALLY like about Clayton? Can you find that in a more centralized location?

If you like Clayton because you really love the town, the scenery, the fact that it's less populated (though that could change, just ask everyone who has lived in Holly Springs for the last 20 years).... Clayton could be really the best place for you.

If you're moving there because "OMG! Cheap new house!" it's not worth it and you should look in a more convenient location if your husband is thinking he would like to look for jobs in RTP later.

Unless you want to buy a house now then sell it later.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 PM

3,666 posts, read 6,548,398 times
The co-workers advice reflects generally accepted opinions for many, myself included. But the problem with these threads is that no one really knows what's in your heart except for you.

Based on my experiences living in the Triangle I consider Clayton to be just a touch too far from most of what I like and also a little too close to a place where I might feel a bit like a fish out of water. Plus should your husband change to a job in RTP that's a long and ofttimes painful ride relative to what most of us enjoy.

But you'll have the luxury of taking the area out for a test drive by renting first, so the risk is truly minimal. Plus you'll also be able to experience the greater region without having to squeeze everything in to a short visit.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM

23 posts, read 31,350 times
Thanks so much for your thoughts.

I really liked the small-town feel of Clayton, personally. I grew up spending the summers with my grandparents in the country and want a bit more of that upbringing for my children than the densely populated area where we live now (South Florida, Boca Raton).

I saw a lot of countryside while I was driving around all over, including areas very near Cary and Apex so I feel like wherever we end up I can have access to open spaces and farms, etc. I'm just afraid that with the growth in the area Cary and Apex will be exactly like where I live now before too long with lots of traffic, zero-lot line developments and no natural green areas. Hopefully I'm wrong about that and the city planners have it under control, but I have no idea.

My husband and I spend a lot of time at home with our nearly 2-year-old son and we have another baby due in August. We're more concerned with having lots of parks and activities for children and good schools than we are about having top restaurants or malls nearby.

So I guess what that all boils down to is if Clayton is on a trajectory to grow (which could be good by bringing in more shops, restaurants, etc.), will that mean Cary and Apex will grow to a size like what I mentioned above? Thanks so much again!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla_diyer View Post
After mentioning that we liked Clayton to some of my husband's coworkers who live in Raleigh, we were warned away from Clayton and other areas saying that we should stay away from anywhere in the 1 o'clock to 6 o'clock region if Raleigh were a clock face. I assume this is based on personal preference and that Clayton just has less in the way of stores and restaurants compared to other areas?
I would guess that it's because those are the bad (lower income, higher-crime) areas of the City of Raleigh. Based on city-data, it appears that crime rates are somewhat higher in Knightdale, Clayton, and Garner (which are the suburbs in that same general area), compared to suburbs like Cary and Holly Springs, but if you're buying in an area like Flowers Plantation I don't think that will really be a concern. None of these towns are particularly crime-ridden, as far as I can tell.

My wife has family in Clayton and they love it. We are buying a house in Garner, which is similar, but a little less country and a little closer to downtown Raleigh.

In terms of the future, I have to think that this area is going to grow, highway or no highway, because most of the other areas that are close to downtown are already much more built-up and expensive. Clayton seems to be pretty popular now, and the elementary schools are excellent, so I think the home values should be reasonably stable.

That said, when we were looking for our house, our realtor told us that during the recent recession, there was a lot of unsold housing inventory in Clayton. The other "downside" is that it's very far from RTP, where a lot of people work.

Bottom line, if you want a country atmosphere, I think you could do a lot worse than Clayton. You might also look at Willow Spring and Angier.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times
The "1:00 to 6:00" rule is used by many as a general guideline for Raleigh. Clayton is in an entirely different county, past Garner (another town), and not part of that "rule". If you like Clayton, ignore what people tell you about Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The "1:00 to 6:00" rule is used by many as a general guideline for Raleigh.
That's what I thought, but I'm new here. I wonder if NYC2RDU would elaborate on her (his?) opinion.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,839,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I would guess that it's because those are the bad (lower income, higher-crime) areas of the City of Raleigh. Based on city-data, it appears that crime rates are somewhat higher in Knightdale, Clayton, and Garner (which are the suburbs in that same general area), compared to suburbs like Cary and Holly Springs,

To set the record straight I live in Knightdale and can tell you this is a very quiet, safe town. Honestly, they roll up the sidewalks at 10pm My daughter who moved here from Cary cannot believe how quiet it is here and how light the traffic is.

I encourage those who haven't ever visited here, to come anytime. You will see it is a small town with decent shopping and 15-20 mins from nightlife and theatre of downtown, while also surrounded by farms and countryside. I think we are similar in size or population to Holly Spring. We have a nice new park that will be developed with an amphitheater, etc.. We are 5 minutes from Buffaloe Rd Aquatics Center and area trails as well as the Neuse river.

Knightdale, Clayton and Garner are all great family places to live if you don't want the hustle and bustle found in other areas of triangle.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
To set the record straight I live in Knightdale and can tell you this is a very quiet, safe town. Honestly, they roll up the sidewalks at 10pm My daughter who moved here from Cary cannot believe how quiet it is here and how light the traffic is.
That's good to hear. As I said, I live in Garner and love it (we're buying a house here). But according to the statistics on this website, the crime is a little higher on this side of the city than it is over in Cary and those towns. Whether that's the reason people avoid these towns -- or whether they even actually do -- I can't say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary