U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 02:22 PM
JB9 JB9 started this thread

2 posts, read 2,432 times

Advertisements

I've seen other threads asking about this, but I wanted to see if I could get some more information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...am-lennar.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...avenstone.html

I've been looking around the Durham area for a house, and found the Forsythe model in Ravenstone that I was really happy with how it was arranged. But the Sales Agent was out sick so I only able to walk through a unit currently under construction and couldn't find out much more.

I hadn't heard of the builders (Lennar) before so I looked them up online and see horror stories about shoddy construction, poor materials, the house falls apart after 1 year, and Lennar generally being terrible to work with. That could just be the subcontractors fault/something area specific and not be indicative of a problem with the company at large or the Triangle neighborhoods. I also had some reservations about the relatively low price point when compared to other neighborhoods in the area; There's a Lennar house listed for 240 with 2900 sq ft vs similar sized houses in the area (Ryland & Beazer) that are going for 260+, and that's not taking into account all the options that Lennar says they throw in for free.

Can anyone speak to the construction quality/pricing of the Lennar-built homes in Ravenstone vs the nearby communities? Do the houses in Ravenstone have virtually no property beyond the boundaries of the house or something? It just seems like the price is too good; I figure there has to be some caveat.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM

12,265 posts, read 22,923,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB9 View Post
Do the houses in Ravenstone have virtually no property beyond the boundaries of the house or something? It just seems like the price is too good; I figure there has to be some caveat.
You can look at the street views on Ravenstone Lane and Auburn Lane and see that the lots are about .2 or .25 acres. The finishing and landscaping is simple, with 2 trees and 6 bushes each. Lennar just controls costs and prices their houses very aggressively.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 PM
JB9 JB9 started this thread

2 posts, read 2,432 times
Isn't that section older and built by another builder? So I'm not sure if the two halves of the community would be analogous. I'd be looking at a new construction on Holly Blossom or Vintage Holly.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM

12,265 posts, read 22,923,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB9 View Post
Isn't that section older and built by another builder? So I'm not sure if the two halves of the community would be analogous. I'd be looking at a new construction on Holly Blossom or Vintage Holly.
OK, so Google Earth shows about the width of the driveway between houses on Holly Blossom, say 20 feet. That's tight. I hope someone local can give an actual view of Lennar quality.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-09-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 AM

3,169 posts, read 7,927,917 times
Look up any major builder on google and all you're going to see is horror stories. I wouldn't put too much stock into a google search, since Lennar like many other national builders are national! They vary from place to place and the subcontractors they use can vary wildly. They build so many homes nation wide that there are bound to be some dissatisfied customers. Have you ever searched KB Homes? whoa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary